RGB LEDs lamp: which LEDs to use ?

daggett

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I already posted this on the CandlePowerForums > Beyond Flashlights > LED
URL: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192455#goto_threadtools

But someone suggested it should have been posted here, so here it is:

I'm new here, and did search for a post on the subject but couldn't find an answer, so here is my findings and questions, sorry if I missed some post that have the answers :)

I'm on a project to build a color changing LED light. The light will be used as an ambient light source, so it must be quiet bright. (I've tried with an array of 5mm LEDs but it makes it only decorative, it can't be used for lighting a room, even with dimmed light).

I've already done the PWM controller part with a PIC microcontroller, and now I'm on the LEDs part.

I've bought some IP122 transistors which can support 30W of power for each channel and some 5W ceramic resistors and heat sinks. The lamp will be housed in a white glass globe from Ikea named "Fado" (20 or 30cm diameter).

There are 4 channels: Red, Green, Blue and White.
I added a white channel because it could fit in the PWM generation and because I never had real white with RGB colors.

I've done some digging over the internet to try and find which LEDs I can put in my lamp, but I couldn't decide.
Here is what I found (prices between 5 and 8 Euro for 1 LED):
- 3W Prolight RGB LEDS 100Lumen (this one is 13 Euro but there are 3 in 1)
- 3W Prolight Red, Green and Blue LEDs 60Lumen for Red and Green and 20 Lumen for the Blue one
- 3W Prolight White LEDs 50 Lumen
- Luxeon K2 130Lumen (Red, Green) and 35 (Blue)
- Luxeon K2 White 140Lumen
- Luxeon Rebel (R65, G130, B27)

There are also the 5Watt but they are quiet expensive...
So what are your advices, I understand it will be a balance between price, brightness and heat generation.
But what should I use? 1 or more LEDs for each color (I thought 2 per channel) or several RGB LEDs (I thought 2 or three of them plus 2 white LEDs) ?
Which one? Which power rating ?
Thanks for your help and expertise!