Rigid Now Has Lights Legal for Street Use

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
there was a member sometime ago who did some tests with beamshots and lux measurements to prove hid conversions were inferior. That is the type of testing I was referring to. Sometimes it is that type of testing that helps guys like me make a decision.

It sounds like you're thinking of this. These are certainly big, big steps up from visual/subjective trials and comparisons, mainly because a good effort was made to control variables and use objective measurements.

calflash

Enlightened
Yep - that's it. It would be good to see more of this type of a test... Especially for auxiliary lights since they are not make/model specific. I hope these rigid lights perform well but time will tell I guess. The optics under the lens look like they might be similar to their hyperspot optics which look like more fun than a barrel of monkeys... Talk about lux figures - wow. That's part of the reason for my curiosity.

dont think this was mentioned but it looks like they are saying
492 lux at 10m
49,230 cd
222m distance
5280 "raw" lumens for what ever that figure is worth - maybe xp-g2 LEDs???

Last edited:

Hilldweller

Enlightened
The Hella bi-xenon is the best, no doubt. It's just about perfect.
....but really really funny looking....

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
On my 2013 Jeep JK put the JW Speaker in but took them out and used the Hella BiXenon headlamp that is DOT compliant Not even close. All of my other lights are LED (offroad) in my Jeep and Truck. DOT being a must for me LED is still not up to HID at least on what I have tried. http://www.rallylights.com/sm6024bx...eadlamp-kit-for-7-sealed-beam-conversion.html

The Hella BiXenon is a fantastically good headlamp, which can be upgraded further still with better bulbs. But the newest JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 is a lot better than the previous 8700 Evolution, which in turn was a lot better than the original 8700, which itself was very good. Do you recall which version of the Speaker LED headlamp you tried?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
And speaking of Speaker (and street-legal LED driving lamps), look at these. They are J.W. Speaker's 8900 Evolution 4x6" low beams and high beams (=driving lamps) on external-mount brackets. The High beam's 1-lux line is nice and wide, and extends to about 225 meters (740 feet).

Boss Hoss

Newly Enlightened
I do not remember the type version I had but it was about 15 months ago and they were the next or new generation from the first. The Hella's look like two boobies on my jeep but the performance with the Osram bulbs they light up the road better than any light I have ever had before on any vehicle and they are DOT legal.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rigid was just acquired by Truck-Lite.
Wonder what's in the works?
I don't. Most likely, more bling-y type products and more nonsensical marketing.

Truck-Lite's other lighting (turn signals, marker lights, etc) isn't so bad, and they've got a decent LED headlamp, but they've also been having products made for them by these guys.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Rigid product line now that Truck-Lite has bought them. I imagine there will be more street-legal lighting and better overall quality control; Truck-Lite tends not to cut corners in that department. To be fair, it's only the one small product group they bought from those jamokes Alaric linked. Just about everything else in their product line is high quality, most of it's made in the USA, and even those items that aren't (some of the Signal-Stat LED standard-size lamps, for example) are still very acceptable quality. Overall Truck-Lite puts out really good stuff.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I've met some of the Rigid folks; they seem to genuinely want to improve the breed.
And I really like their offroad products for offroad use ---- it's when their Dually Cubes are on the street that I get perturbed (and blinded).

I'm cautiously optimistic and look forward to seeing what they produce. Their parent company is Penske, isn't it?

fastgun

Enlightened
I keep seeing the 4X4 transport trucks that support the Paris to Dakar Rally in my minds eye.
What else could you get when you mix the two companies?

calflash

Enlightened
I keep seeing the 4X4 transport trucks that support the Paris to Dakar Rally in my minds eye.
What else could you get when you mix the two companies?

Here's my two best ideas:

1)To my knowledge, Truck-lite is the first company to offer vehicle model specific, legal, LED conversions. (At least for class 8 trucks) They came out with one for the newer model Freightliner Cascadia. With all of the new emissions requirements, aerodynamic designs are becoming more common which means fewer generic sealed beam type lighting systems are being used in the truck industry.

I haven't yet found any offroad lighting companies with lights to match the lux figures achieved by Rigid's hyperspot optics. In this category, Rigid seems to have the edge for the moment. I am fairly certain these optics are what are used in the SAE compliant lights under a special lens. Perhaps that's the interest. Maybe the new optics Rigid uses for their SAE compliant lights may be of use for vehicle specific conversions?

2)Rigid Industries has a successful advertising campaign and a well known and probably profitable name. Truck-lite may simply be purchasing a customer base in a new industry for them.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I haven't yet found any offroad lighting companies with lights to match the lux figures achieved by Rigid's hyperspot optics.

That might be more about the published figures than about the optics; see this previous thread about Rigid lights.

Maybe the new optics Rigid uses for their SAE compliant lights may be of use for vehicle specific conversions?

No, probably not. Truck-Lite's already got headlamp optics far more advanced than anything Rigid has. It's easy to produce simple symmetrical beams (flood lights, spot lights, fog lights, "driving" lights). It's much, much more difficult and complicated to produce a legal low beam, and much more difficult than that to produce good legal low beams.

Rigid Industries has a successful advertising campaign and a well known and probably profitable name. Truck-lite may simply be purchasing a customer base in a new industry for them.

Could be!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the new optics Rigid uses for their SAE compliant lights may be of use for vehicle specific conversions?

It's somewhat common for a company to buy another company just because they have a technology that the first company wants. Creative Technologies bought Ensoniq pretty much solely for Ensoniq's technology that made PCI sound cards work in MS-DOS and do 8 and 16-bit DMA transfers over the PCI bus as if it were a 16-bit ISA card. Creative's earlier attempts to do this required specific memory management techniques that made some games just not work in DOS. But technology or patent acquisition is almost certainly not the case with Truck-Lite/Rigid.