RIP Popular Photography

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I do professional photography part-time. I don't think that phones will ever replace a wedding photographer. Even if a phone was able to take FF DSLR quality pictures, the problem is training first and supplemental gear (lighting primarily) second. Amateurs generally lack the skill set to be able to capture the same quality pictures or really deal with the wedding environment. A large part of being a wedding photographer is, quite frankly, Chaos Management. However, the primary force that is destroying the profession is the massive influx of amateur budget photographers now that DSLRs are so affordable. It's harder and harder for even established photographers to justify a $200-300 price tag on a standard family session (price not even including prints) when there are cut-rate photographers all over the place offering "mini-sessions" for $25-50. Same for all the cheap amateur wedding photographers.
You will get nothing for $25-30. Local markets are overrun with these kind of no talent people, you are right. As for weddings, the photographer must act as the director for the photography, and in some cases, move the events along. I never do many weddings, however, I shoot them with my wife and we have fun, and as a journalist who covers world leaders, shot the Oscars, Emmys, we could give them the journalist look,and still do the classical formal poses. our price is $15,000 for a select crowd because they want a lot and a certain look. But I have a team of people I bring, and a lot of planing is involved. The sub $1,000 and hand over the disc crowd can't do what we can. But at least I admit to doing them, most journalists will always and always have denied ever doing them. But they have/do It's just another event. I do not market myself for them and don't really do them any more.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nevertheless it is a great time for the amateur, and hobbyists in photography, like nothing ever before. I would just say have fun with it, and there is some very good if not great talent within the hobbyists ranks. I see some great work out there, and even with phones.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the teacher who ran my photography club in high school had the opportunity to shoot the president when he came to town. Because he had a long telephoto lens and was also an avid hunter he got the idea to mount the camera & lens on a shotgun stock with a remote trigger in place of the er, uh, trigger. Guess what happened when he pulled that out & pointed at the president?

I've been searching for the pop photo issue in which my brother wrote a letter to the editor exclaiming my virtuoso with a camera (I was shooting weddings & models in a studio I shared with my partner when I was still in high school). I must have been pretty good then, but just look at the crap I've been cranking out in my sales threads. It's definitely a skill that declines without practice. Which is probably why I shouldn't shoot an apple off someone's head before getting in some range time

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
my friend is a "pro" photographer, he works in restaurants in Brooklyn, while he still has customers, their number drops all the time, back in the days people that had party at a restaurant, had photographer take their pics, than he would bring 8x10 printed pictures hour or so latter, now everyone has a smartphone, his services no longer needed as much, people take their own pics, and post it right away. however phones have not replaced wedding photographer, yet.
Well they can, but in a different way. If the bride asks everyone to act as the photographers, then E-mail them to her by the time the night is over she could have hundreds or a thousand photos. And if some are bad, well so what.

But, if a photographer showed up to shoot the wedding with a phone...that would be a total joke

For my own wedding, we tried, at least for the time something different. We were married in St. Andrews, Scotland, and it was just the two of us at the registry office, with a judge. This was 21 years ago, so it was the film age. I took only one camera, a Nikon F4, 28-70 lens, and SB 24 flash.

I did did shots of my wife in her dress, which was not a wedding dress but a white gown out on the golf course, the seawall to with the North Sea behind it, they were more fashion photos, now for the ones of both of us together, we just asked random people if they would take our photo, now I'm handing them this complex professional rig of a camera, and it was great. Some were tilted, too close, to far, every kind of mistake, and they turned out so funny as photographers we loved it.

One funny thing was as we were leaving the hotel to to the registry office for the ceremony, the doorman at the hotel, on his own asked, "would you like me to take a photo of the two of you," we said sure, and it was absolutely perfection, the guy had to have had some background in photography. Very funny. We still have that photo out, and laugh about it.

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering that Popular Science and Popular Photography are owned and published by the same company if this bodes a death for the Popular Science mag as well

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Considering that Popular Science and Popular Photography are owned and published by the same company if this bodes a death for the Popular Science mag as well
My first spin of the distinction (...Science vs ...Photography) could have some current affairs / politics angle, but I'll just leave that one for the CPF Underground lol. ;)

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
sad to see it go... have read a handful of them, still have some in my closet. but i think that's how the cycle goes, especially when the iphone/smartphone age took over. but i'll still continue to enjoy photography and the adventure is brings.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Of course I was joking around with most of that post

I was jesting as well, my name is obviously worth a Leica S (then I'd have to figure what other part of myself to sell to get a lens..)

I have photographed your boss, years ago, and photographed and spoke with the Sultan

You need a photo book; one of my fave photo books, The President's Photographer is very much in that vein, the photographer providing a new angle on familiar faces from behind the scenes.

Now, I would recommend people not to invest in their photo business like I did

What did your business start out shooting?

I trained her, like I trained myself.

My dad worked at a camera store in downtown Kansas City, so we always had gear sitting around the house like the bold new Minolta Maxxum; I played around with film cameras as a kid and got my first digital camera as a teen, just as I got into using Adobe Photoshop; I'm coming up on 20 years experience with digital cameras and post-processing :)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other day I found one of my old note books where you write down the shutter speed, ASA, f stop, time, dates and other things, today it is all on the screen on the camera.

There was some fun to taking down your field notes, and numbered each roll.

Also, I miss my Hasselblad system, with those wonderful Carl Zeizz lenses, film backs which took practice to load fast, the dark slide, all of it you really had to know what you were doing but it was fun and gave great satisfaction when you saw the results. You always worried until you went to the lab and saw your work, I remember being so worried on so many weekends over jobs I shot, did I set this right, did I have the right setting?

On all the Apollo missions they used Hasselbald on the lunar surface, and had Nikon F2's inside the command and service module.

Buzz Aldrin is a member of a club I belong to as well, and I once asked him: "Were you not worried about your exposures, composition, and focus?" He told me, 'All we were worried about was getting back home.' He said that they jettisoned all the Hasselbald cameras and lenses on the moon and just brought the film back with them. I think the 35m F2's came back.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Star Halo,

My first job was the dedication of the Greald R. Ford School in Indian Wells, CA that is how I got started, I went there just for something to do, there was no other photographer, sent the work over to the president's office, and it went from there.

One thing, my Mom did know President Ford, and that helped. However I never thought others would start asking, and it would be a career. You never know what can happen? Really anything can happen is what I have found, but I went over twenty years with no down time, so I put a huge effort in it, I gave up things like golf, and hobbies.

My mom said to at least keep your clubs, and I'm glad I did because I got to play with the president, and Leonard Firestone, the industrialist. It was just a few times because I am still just a photographer, and, they gave me wonderful advice.

That is when I worked the local markert, I don't so much these days because the towns the great people who really made this town what is are all gone now, and their replacements are not even close with how they go about things, I have been national since like 1998. Covering many of the major events in the country, and doing work for large corporations. Glad I did, the Mayor of Palm Springs just was arrested for taking bribes.

He was inept anyway, when President Obama came here he was the arrival greeter, and came and got me down off the press riser awaiting the arrival of Air Force One, and said you have been around this and know the protocol what do I say? I told him but, In the past the old guard would have known what to do.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A few years back my wife wanted in on wedding photography. Knowing she was woefully unprepared gear-wise, style-wise and know-how-wise I suggested she find a pro to assist.
After doing 3 by herself she decided that wasn't her gig.

She was great at thinking outside the box but did not understand the basics. So much of her better photos were dismissed by the client(s) who wanted same ole sameness. One evening I quipped "now do you understand the term starving artist?"

I spent hours and hours tailoring white balances, shadows and evening out influences of various colored lighting in the ones the clients liked.
Basically the ones she did were some of the worst possible scenarios which is why real pros had offered really high estimates. Indoor lighting near windows with afternoon sun and parking lot lights as the evenings progressed. A digital sensors worst fears in each of the 3 weddings.

I set her up with some decent gear for the time and she ended up doing outdoor portraits of peoples dogs and cats. We found a little niche in our area that brought in enough revenue to buy a good printer, monitor calibration stuff and a few better lenses.

One day her son asked if she'd take photos of the high school football team. Oh that pissed off a bunch of people. The wannbe types with their Canons and 70-200 lenses thought she was competition. To rub salt in the deal I walked around the field with a Nikon clad with a prime using a monopod. It was hilarious to see each week how those knuckleheads would react.

I knew all along that doing the pro photographer thing was on the way to suffering the same fate as the VHS machines once I saw families at the beach with $3000 cameras stuck lens down on the edge of their towel. So these days I use my SLR's to photo-journalize things at my job as a roadway inspector and the wife uses her style to spice up eBay photos.
We have both taken some killer wildlife photos along the way and have lots of good memories on a hard drive. We even got a few published in local magazines and newspapers. But when I see a fellow next to 3rd base at Candle Stick park with a $50k lens to take photos of the pitcher or another guy carrying his telescope sized lens clad camera over his shoulder... I do not regret never entering the dog-eat-dog process of trying to make a living taking photos.

I do enjoy the times my boss tells me to drive to some area of the state and take pictures of a bridge about to be widened or an intersection about to be re-hab'd into a roundabout. As a consultant part of my job is to drum up business with local governments and the photographs are proof we've studied their upcoming projects.
I take my SLR for personal use and a faithful point n shoot for their photos since they will be printed from a laptop dard drive onto office copy paper. It's kinda like being a pro with a guarenteed paycheck every other Thursday and no real pressure to get it perfect.... afterall it's just a rickety old bridge slated for demolition.

It's a shame to see yet another staple in American photography be removed from the pages of upcoming history. But when I go to my local Books A Million and see all the bubble gum flavored crap disguised as photography magazines I'm surprised it is just now happening.

brickcheck

Newly Enlightened
It's a shame to heard about this, but certainly not surprising. I think there was a report recently saying how on Flickr the iPhone had become the most popular camera in the world. I must admit that when I travel I will often just bring my iPhone along, just because I don't want to drag along my heavy dSLR. Obviously the picture quality is not the same, but it really is so much more convenient

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fixer,

Poor quality photos are tolerated these days, what people have a hard time dealing with, at least in the world I work in is, the small amounts of time you have to get the photo, get it right, and get it out. I can't go back and do anything over.

People who shoot landscapes, products have all the time in the world, compared to my having seconds to get it. Yet, I see of many of my colleagues miss some easy shots. For the work I do you have to be on guard or you will miss it and that's that, what ever is you miss has passed into history in just seconds, never to be seen again.

Over my career, I have photographed every professional sport you can imagine Super Bowls, World Series but, figure skating and boxing are the most difficult. I still cover the big fights in Vegas from time to time, sports keep you sharp, any journalistic photography does that, and if I was to do a wedding, for example, you already know what will happen, they are all alike, and for the formal photos you are the director.

I don't do them often but, at least I admit that I do...ask any journalist and they will snear at you, however, I can guarantee you they have shot them, as well, and are lying about it. They think are above that. I have covered weddings to war zones. Brides can be awful, often, you can deal with people in not so friendly places much easier. My wife always comes with me as my second camera, I like the idea of a woman's perspective at a wedding. Plus she is one of the best boxing photographers I have ever seen.

I never cared for boxing that much one way or the other, then I got an assignment to cover Oscar De La Hoya,s first professional fight, post Olympic Gold Medal. It was in LA at the... the...I forget the location, and I am not at my office where my field notes are but, after being ringside, I was hooked on boxing. Photography as a journalist opens windows, and draws back the veil of new delights since it exposes you to things and people you would never come across, or events you would never have thought to even bother to attend. I wish I could recommend it as a career but, I can't. I did very well, and made more money than I ever thought I could, (Thank you O.J. and President Clinton), however today, everyone is a photographer.

The consolation is that, myself, my wife, and my company, and assistants at the time, my lab and its print people are all pioneers, genuine, real pioneers, in a new media that changed the world forever. All of who were film shooters and struggled through the transition, are in the eyes of history, pioneers. We were the ones on the frontlines of making it happen, helping the engineers, and we called in many mistakes to Nikon that their instruction manuals had wrong, other published books too, mostly because of my wife and her huge talent with computers, (I called in the most of the Nikon errors). So many of my colleagues of the day ran from photography when digital replaced film, we embraced it, and it happend so much faster than any of us thought it would. Digital turned out to be a gold mine for those who stuck it out at a high level, yet, there were still plenty of flakes who stayed and had no knowledge of what they were even doing. What great years! At the time it could be frustrating, long hours, dial up modems and several minutes to transmit just one photo! I now look back on all of it as a fantastic experience that few people over the course of history are able to experience. Like the first people to use a printing press.

Really, even if you had a point and shoot and switched to a digital camera, you are a pioneer, too, just not at the level of figuring it all out, and making it work with clients, editors, deadlines and no one with experience you could call, who had done it before. We were the ones with the experience, and we had to figure it all out, make it work, and remain in business, and by then my company was already working at high levels, major companies and the political elite and power of the world. In many industries none of them, even that they knew this was really foreign to all of us did not accept any excuses, and the wanted the work right then. However everyone, (clients), since the Civil War up to today Needs it NOW!

For a time, I used to shoot with a film rig and a digital one, Same lenses on both. Thank god that was short lived, as you missed shots, one was either on film or digital. It's just you had to get the shot, one way or the other.

That's enough, I am now ceased with the sudden fear I have drifted wildly off topic...But, that's the way is was back in the Stone Age. What a time to be a working photographer. May be interesting to some.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Gotta challenge yourself :)

33390247916_f4206a9f0f_o.jpg

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Star,

I have always wanted to get a photo of a hummingbird, and freeze the wings. So far, I have missed out on that even with millions and millions of images.

Thing is is you were on top of it and captured something not easy to do. So, good job!

BloodLust

Enlightened
I've done some paid work but still consider myself very much an amateur. Still so many things to learn.
My forte is food and a little bit of portraiture. I would not even attempt weddings. I've seen some bad wedding photography even during the event itself. I was wondering what the photographer was doing at times but it wasn't my place to meddle as it was his profession and I was a guest at the wedding and it was his own art, style and technique. Unfortunately, a lot of the wedding photos did come out bad.

Though I know some guys who stil use Nikon D40s for awesome shoots.

I do professional photography part-time. I don't think that phones will ever replace a wedding photographer. Even if a phone was able to take FF DSLR quality pictures, the problem is training first and supplemental gear (lighting primarily) second. Amateurs generally lack the skill set to be able to capture the same quality pictures or really deal with the wedding environment. A large part of being a wedding photographer is, quite frankly, Chaos Management. However, the primary force that is destroying the profession is the massive influx of amateur budget photographers now that DSLRs are so affordable. It's harder and harder for even established photographers to justify a $200-300 price tag on a standard family session (price not even including prints) when there are cut-rate photographers all over the place offering "mini-sessions" for $25-50. Same for all the cheap amateur wedding photographers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-sue-wedding-photographer-hell-7736910.amp?espv=1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-failed-couple-frame-took-blurry-shots.html

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess my prime issue is I have not seen a humming bird in this desert in years, and with the amount of feral cats that have been trapped, fixed and ear notched and released back in to our street, it is amazing I had eight of them lounging up here yesterday on all our front patio furniture, so no bird will come around here.

When reseeding the grass every year, but they act like a kitty seal team against the birds, with air support from all the crows living high above in our palm trees. It does give us the best 10,000 sq ft of grass around. No birds landing to eat my seed! Also, all, the bees, and bats are gone. We used to have hundreds of bats every night flying in all directions and swooping the pool. They are long gone, and I have not heard a coyote in at least a decade, maybe longer. Like 18 years would be more accurate.

This place has become LA! Without the crime! However, you live somewhere in the inland empire, and you have humming birds.