Romisen RC-N3 vs RC-G2?

fengstar

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I'm having some trouble deciding between these two flashlights. I will be leaving it in my car to use. Just how much brighter is the n3 than the g2? I like the fact that the g2 is shorter since it only uses 1 AA, but is it a better investment to get the n3 instead, since I could always switch over to CR123As? Does anybody have both that can give me a comparison? Thanks.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I don't own the RC-N3 but it has great reviews here and the two AA format will have more runtime than the G2. I Suggest you get any of the two from shining beam and you'll be impressed. I really like my RC G2 from DX and the one from shining beam is much better. You even have the option for neutral One's which is better in outdoors.:wave:

fengstar

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and ordered the two mode rc n3 from shining beam.
Oh and a quick question since I'm new with these things. Can I safely use a rechargeable cr123a in this flashlight? On the site it says it will work but not recommended. Why is this?

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the RC-N3 but it has great reviews here and the two AA format will have more runtime than the G2. I Suggest you get any of the two from shining beam and you'll be impressed. I really like my RC G2 from DX and the one from shining beam is much better. You even have the option for neutral One's which is better in outdoors.:wave:

Why would a Romisen from Shiningbeam be any better or different than one from anywhere else?

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
I have a few of both, of different varieties. I just checked the n3, with two powerex nimh against the g2 with a nickel zinc, and the g2 is a bit brighter while the n3 has a longer throw -- but the cells may not be fully charged. I'd say they (both Q5s) are pretty close to each other. I usually grab the warm white versions since I prefer the tints (the WW g2 is my 'bright' edc for around the house and yard).

These are such good buys one can have a whole collection of different Romisens -- one of each of those which Shiningbeam sells. I have the P4 from DX also -- good light, although not as bright as the Q5, and I have mine sitting by the back door, with the Q5 by the front. I have a 2-level n3 from Sb, and it's not bad but the levels are aren't all that different -- I'd guess about the same difference as between the Q5 and P4. Nothing measured here -- just subjective guesstimates -- but they all in the same 'ball park'. I also have a couple of flood-to-throw -- and I don't regret buying any of them.

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
I have both of the lights that you mentioned. I run my two stage RC-N3 Q5 with a 3 volt protected rechargeable battery from
www.e-lectronics.net. The N3 retains both the high and low levels with these batteries. When I run a 3.7 volt AW in the same light I lose the low level until the the battery drops down close to 3 volts. It works just fine with the 3 volt rechargeables and I run them exclusively in my N3 Q5. As for my RC-G2 Q5, I run either Ni-mh or L91 Lithium AAs depending on my mood. These are both great lights and I would recommend that you get one of each. Just my 2 cents.

Happy Dark Trails

fengstar

Newly Enlightened
I have both of the lights that you mentioned. I run my two stage RC-N3 Q5 with a 3 volt protected rechargeable battery from
www.e-lectronics.net. The N3 retains both the high and low levels with these batteries. When I run a 3.7 volt AW in the same light I lose the low level until the the battery drops down close to 3 volts. It works just fine with the 3 volt rechargeables and I run them exclusively in my N3 Q5. As for my RC-G2 Q5, I run either Ni-mh or L91 Lithium AAs depending on my mood. These are both great lights and I would recommend that you get one of each. Just my 2 cents.

Happy Dark Trails
I have a question, while using that rcr123a 3.0v is there a difference in the med and high modes in the rc n3?

Ian2381

Enlightened
Why would a Romisen from Shiningbeam be any better or different than one from anywhere else?

Because Shining beam is a reputable Vendor and most of his lights is the upgraded versions and and has gone through quality test unlike most of anywhere else budget lights. Plus the fact that They also gives discounts to CPF members.:twothumbs