Sanyo XX 2500mAh NiMH batteries experiences and results

Battery Guy

Enlightened
I am having a tough choice deciding between the 2700 and the XX eneloops. I might end up getting 8 more of the normal eneloops.

Results for both cells are shown in this thread.

The Sanyo 2700 have a very slight advantage at low discharge currents. Be sure to scroll to the end of the first post in the thread to see the energy comparison for all of the cells.

Keep in mind that these test results are for new cells, and that I would expect the XX cells to degrade more slowly with age and use compared to the Sanyo 2700 cells.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
BG

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
For you Canadians out there, Canada computers have them in stock! I just bought (4) last night here in Hamilton, Ontario for $22.99 + tax.

Here is the direct link 'http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_746&item_id=036102' , oh if I'm not suppose to post direct links, please forgive me and can someone advise?

Not sure if they ship to the US though?

Just an update: Canada Computers now has them for $17.99. I have one 10 min.drive my place so I might hike on down. I'll use them for my hand held GPS, a little extra run time won't hurt. $4.50 per battery for a minimum of 10 yrs. based on my usage rate, not bad.

I picked up a 4-pack of Sanyo XX:

Mh-C9000 [500 mA discharge]

909 mAh
920 mAh
916 mAh
909 mAh

Mh-C9000 [Break-in - 2,500 Capacity]

2459 mAh
2422 mAh
2423 mAh
2401 mAh

There we have it, all 4 batts. meet minimum specs. Time to put them to good use in the GPS.

Unrelated note: GP 1300 Nimh 1.2v AA. I just looked inside salt/pepper grinders after 4 months. These puppies were still going strong with 60% indicator on the ZTS mini-mbt. Interesting, I haven't charged them since purchase. I didn't know these batteries could last that long.

Last edited:

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
Update on my storage test. After about 4 months, the Sanyo XX had 2009mAh left. The Sanyo 2700 stays ahead with 2104mAh.
I will let the remaining batteries rest for at least 2 months more. I do expect the 2700's to keep their lead.
My conclusion so far:
If you are looking for the cell with most capacity, stored 4 months or less after charge, the Sanyo 2700's are the best choice.
They even beat freshly charged eneloops. This is true for batteries that are cycled 15 times.

I wonder if this remains true when the cells would be cycled 100 times or more?

bleagh

Newly Enlightened
Noticed B&H has these listed as 'New Item, Available for pre-order ' for $19.95

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a 4-pack of these (over priced) XX Eneloops for my multiple Zebralights. I got them from Amazon... there's a link in post 17 above. I love my AA Zebras, so I wanted the best there is for their power source. I happen to like the XX wrapper, so I opted for them now, rather than waiting for when the Eneloop Pro hits the market here, in July I take it. I may eventually get some of those also.

The XX Eneloops are dated 2010 - 09

Right outta the package all of them read 1.31v

Discharging on the Maha C9000 @ 500mA was as follows..

1 - 1218mAh / took 160min
2 - 1207mAh / took 158min
3 - 1210mAh / took 158min
4 - 1207mAh / took 159min

About 50% capacity.

They all read 1.19v on the C9000 after about an hr rest.

I didn't do a Break-in on the cells to measure capacity, but instead just charged them at 1000mA on the C9000. I trust they're good as advertised. :)

It's not an accurate measurement of capacity I know, but just to add, the input range for the charges on the 4 cells was..
2427 for the lowest, to 2580 for the highest. They all terminated within 10min of each other.

I think this is just another testament to the consistency of Sanyo's Eneloop line. They're as good as it gets, I think. I've had no problems with any of my 2 dozen? or more of the original ones.

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
Discharging on the Maha C9000 @ 500mA was as follows..

1 - 1218mAh / took 160min
2 - 1207mAh / took 158min
3 - 1210mAh / took 158min
4 - 1207mAh / took 159min

About 50% capacity.

First ones I see with capacity over 1000mAh out of the box.
I thought they only charged the XX's to around 1000mAh from previous experiences.
The MAHA C9000 terminates when the cell reaches 1.48V (or -dV, whatever comes first), to get a "fully" charged cell, you need to keep it in the charger for 2 more hours. The charger continues to charge (100mA/h) the first 2 hours after terminating the fast charge.
From my own experiences, the maximum charging efficiency is around 90%, so when your battery gives out 2500mAh, you have put in at least around 2750mAh.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
i was surprised to find yesterday that the eneloop xx's do not work in one of my 1xaa lights. i tried six different xx's that have been waiting for use since i broke them in a few weeks ago on my maha c9000. the light is the brinkmann armormax as discussed here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...an-single-AA&p=3018556&viewfull=1#post3018556

have never had any problems with duraloops, l91, or rayovac alkalines working in the same light. looking at the the + contact nipple it does look shorter than the duraloop (first gen eneloop). have others noticed this, or seen compatibility problems?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was surprised to find yesterday that the eneloop xx's do not work in one of my 1xaa lights. i tried six different xx's that have been waiting for use since i broke them in a few weeks ago on my maha c9000. the light is the brinkmann armormax as discussed here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...an-single-AA&p=3018556&viewfull=1#post3018556

have never had any problems with duraloops, l91, or rayovac alkalines working in the same light. looking at the the + contact nipple it does look shorter than the duraloop (first gen eneloop). have others noticed this, or seen compatibility problems?
I had to take a look at mine. I see what you're talking about. The body of the XX cell appears to be slightly taller, while the nipple is a bit shorter. Not much tho. Overall, the XX cell is exactly the same length as a standard Eneloop. I don't anticipate a problem with them, and they worked in every AA light I could muster up. The Brinkmann Armormax must have some close tolerances around the + contact. There were no shots showing the head to see what is hitting the cell side rather than making contact in your link.

If you really want to use the XX in that light, a touch of solder on the + contact, or even easier maybe, on a XX nipple should do the trick.

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
I have some new results!
I stored 4 Sanyo 2700 batteries and 4 Sanyo XX batteries. I discharged one XX and one 2700 after 21, 60, 120 and now 250 days.
These are the results:

21d:
XX: 2159 CORRECTED
2k7: 2269

60d
XX: 2130
2k7: 2180

120d:
XX: 2004
2k7: 2109

250d:
XX: 1921
2k7: 2020

I am a little disappointed in the XX batteries. The Sanyo 2700 batteries seem excellent, even for storage up to 250 days and probably even a year (and more). The tested batteries were cycled at least 10 times before I stored them fully charged.
If you are looking for batteries with the most capacity, even after 250 days, buy Sanyo 2700. Look no further. In the future I might do a similar test with batteries that were cycled 50 times.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a little disappointed in the XX batteries. The Sanyo 2700 batteries seem excellent, even for storage up to 250 days and probably even a year (and more). The tested batteries were cycled at least 10 times before I stored them fully charged.
If you are looking for batteries with the most capacity, even after 250 days, buy Sanyo 2700. Look no further. In the future I might do a similar test with batteries that were cycled 50 times.
Various people have reported that the Sanyo 2700 batteries are unpredictable and may fail to hold charge after a while. So if you tested the XX and the 2700 side by side in repeated heavy use you may find differences start to show up.

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
Various people have reported that the Sanyo 2700 batteries are unpredictable and may fail to hold charge after a while. So if you tested the XX and the 2700 side by side in repeated heavy use you may find differences start to show up.

I did not see this in my humble test but I only cycled them about 10 times before the test took place. It would be interesting to see what results I or someone else gets with Sanyo 2700 batteries that were cycled 50 times or even more.

Burgess

Flashaholic
You also tested only ONE representative sample.

However, let me add . . . .

Thank you for your time and effort and dedication, in performing this long-term test.

And, for sharing the results with us on CPF.

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
You also tested only ONE representative sample.

Correct, but the performance of the batteries was consistent.

It seems I posted a wrong result.
The result of the Sanyo XX after 21 days was 2159.

kathiny

Newly Enlightened
  • S4 after 3 weeks of storage still had 2269mAh left.
    Charging XX and 2700 in my 30-min charger gives my the same results for XX as 2700.​

s0lar

Newly Enlightened
A 30 minute charger will not fully charge your batteries. Not even the MAHA 9000 gives you fully charged batteries when DONE is displayed. Battery charging terminates at either -dV or when a certain voltage is reached for the MAHA charger. This voltage is 1.48V and most batteries reach this voltage prior to reaching the -dV point. I own a 30 minute charger and batteries are charged around 80 to 90% compared to charging in a dumb charger or using break-in mode (14 to 16h at 0.1C).

budynabuick

Enlightened
eneloop XX

I received 2 4 packs of AA XX Eneloop 2500 yesterday and discharged 4 of them and they all showed less then 50% charge:shakehead Would this be typical? I now have the 4 on break in on my c-9000. the imedion 2400 ma (as well as the AAA) showed 80% charged (at half the price) new and so far 8 AAA's (Imedion)all hit 950+ and and 8 AA all hold 2400+. I have not opened the other pack of aa as i might just end up sending them back (Thomas dist) and for the same price get 16 imedion 2400 instead of 8 AA eneloop. After i received them i thought it was maybe a bone head move paying twice as much for 100 extra ma. I got them for my 4 aa PA40 because they are supposed to perform well in sub 0 temps but after seeing less than 50% (actually 44%) i'm wondering if i may have wasted my money. I will finish the break in on these 4 and put em through the paces and see how they perform. Any thoughts on getting just 44% charge out of the pack? Could this mean they might be bad cells? Thanks for reading. I have eneloop AA/AAA and they are great! very consistent. But in the short term i think i am leaning toward the imedion as my cell of choice. I know this much, these XX better at 5$ a piece had better be very special before i purchase another one.

Keith

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: eneloop XX

what is the manufacture date (see printed on blister packaging)?
maybe you got old stock of the XX's.

btw, the XX arent produced anymore in the Sanyo factories. they have been replaced by "Eneloop Pro" (model# HR-3UWX) which hold 75% of the capacity after 1.0 year.

min. 2400mAh

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
Re: eneloop XX

I think the initial capacity isn't a thing to get worried about, but what you get after the break-in of your new XX's. They probably sat on a shelf for a long time and lost significant % of their initial charge.

btw, the XX arent produced anymore in the Sanyo factories. they have been replaced by "Eneloop Pro" (model# HR-3UWX) which hold 75% of the capacity after 1.0 year. min. 2400mAh

That's the model no. and specs of original Sanyo (Made in Japan) black Eneloop XX's.

Cheers,

Tam