• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SBT90 G2 LED - The 2020 Thrower LED

daffy

Enlightened
Gotta be in it to win it, pure stab in the dark guesstimate:

t27= 3500L 585Kcd
t28= 3900L 650Kcd

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
T27vn90 @ 2 seconds 4300L 460Kcd 1356m
Less intensity than anticipated

T28vn90 @ 2 seconds 5000L 760Kcd, 1744m
WOW so much more OTF lumen.....

Tested with the same Samsung 40T Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............................

T28 XHP35 Hi 6500K Stock @ 2seconds
1850L 495Kcd 1407m

At least we know SBT90 G2 clearly blows away XHP35 HI

Last edited:

SKV89

Enlightened
T28vn90 performance is incredible! Since both uses the same LED, driver, and battery, what do you think is the cause of the large output difference?

Patriot

Flashaholic
So interesting! I kind of understand the discrepancy in throw given the T28 has so much more reflector surface area but I wonder what accounts primarily for the lumen differences?

You'd almost have to swap the LED's from one light to the other before understanding further what contributes to this.

Thanks for the fun, Vinh!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I thought the T27vn90 would be a little closer to the T27vn W2.1 with its impressive 575Kcd. I certainly didn't expect the T27vn90 to come in 2nd place to the MT35vn90's 4800 OTF lumens, especially with the DeLens mod.

:thinking:

...but they are about the same size head and I guess it just comes down to things like drivers and resistances.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Measured @ 2s
K65GT 5350L 844Kcd
K65GT + DeLens Only 5500L 884Kcd

2.8% Lumen Gain
4.7% Kcd Gain

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would imaging the K65GT handles heat much better than the T28.... if The K65GT were throttled down slightly would it run for a good stretch around 4000L? Two very amazing options. T28 is obviously lighter but IDK that it would be any less cumbersome than the K65GT all said and done......

Patriot

Flashaholic
The K65GT were throttled down slightly would it run for a good stretch around 4000L? Two very amazing options. T28 is obviously lighter but IDK that it would be any less cumbersome than the K65GT all said and done......

It kind of comes down to 4000mah compared to 10,400mah (VTC5) or 14,000mah in the K65GT if you use LG3500's. No matter the cell formula in the K65GT, it will see less voltage sage.

The shape of the T28 being what it is, I agree that the K65GT wouldn't be anymore cumbersome to belt or pack carry unless weight was critical. Still, I image small hands will like the T28, especially if it's only being used intermittently as a security light to quickly spot things or to used in conjunction with a headlamp.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
It kind of comes down to 4000mah compared to 10,400mah (VTC5) or 14,000mah in the K65GT if you use LG3500's. No matter the cell formula in the K65GT, it will see less voltage sage.

The shape of the T28 being what it is, I agree that the K65GT wouldn't be anymore cumbersome to belt or pack carry unless weight was critical. Still, I image small hands will like the T28, especially if it's only being used intermittently as a security light to quickly spot things or to used in conjunction with a headlamp.

For me personally T28 is much easier to handle than K65GTvn. Its a much smaller and lighter light over all with just the head being equal.
K65GTvn does have the extra punch and more runtime

Patriot

Flashaholic
For me personally T28 is much easier to handle than K65GTvn. Its a much smaller and lighter light over all with just the head being equal.
K65GTvn does have the extra punch and more runtime

I was thinking of you when I mentioned smaller hands. I could have bet money you'd like the T28vn90 for handle size and rear switch... especially after measuring the performance! :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of you when I mentioned smaller hands. I could have bet money you'd like the T28vn90 for handle size and rear switch... especially after measuring the performance! :)
Crazy thing is I would still take the T27vn90. IN person the difference in performance is not that big but the size diff is. I am just really lazy lately. I only take the smaller lights out. haha

Patriot

Flashaholic
Crazy thing is I would still take the T27vn90. IN person the difference in performance is not that big but the size diff is. I am just really lazy lately. I only take the smaller lights out. haha

That's great Vinh! It makes me that much more excited for the T27vn90. Lately, it's about the largest head size that I care to take hiking. It usually rides on my hip, or side pouch on my hydration pack, but sometimes inside the pack if it's not night time yet. When it is night time, sometimes I'll just stick it head up in my pack pocket to free up a hand momentarily. Larger heads make all of those things more difficult. I've always liked the size and performance of the T27 but since receiving the K35GTvn, it has replaced the T27. However, putting the SBT90 into the T27 will likely make it my main hiking "spotlight" again, unless I'm doing something that needs the runtime of the K35GTvn. As performance has increased, I've been able to use smaller and smaller lights and still get the same performance that larger lights used to cover. Thank you for creating so many fun SBT90 options!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Vinh I know you've been super busy but I'm excited to hear your thoughts or measurements on many of your recent SBT90 builds. Favorites, failures, cell compatibility, etc. For example you've built a D3Cvn90 SBT90 5700K DeLens DriverVN4 running on a 16340!! With maximum 16340 discharge currents of 2-3C how does that work with this LED since it can pull more current?

Also, the
D1vn90 SBT90 5700K DeLens... This sounds amazing! I would love to hear about these when you have time.

Maybe just a video briefly talking about the SBT90 builds you were most impressed or surprised by.

When you have time :)

Last edited:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Vinh, is that video Patriot mentioned done yet?? LOL
Just kidding. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Be well my friend and take your time putting these lights together. All of us know that our our orders are custom and will come in due time.
In the delicate work you do, remember that slow is fast (minimizes mistakes). Besides, our anticipation of receiving a new light is half the fun!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

drummer132132

Enlightened
Hey Vinh, is that video Patriot mentioned done yet?? LOL
Just kidding. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Be well my friend and take your time putting these lights together. All of us know that our our orders are custom and will come in due time.
In the delicate work you do, remember that slow is fast (minimizes mistakes). Besides, our anticipation of receiving a new light is half the fun!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I agree. Especially the part of anticipating a new light 🙂.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Measured @ 2s
K65GT 5350L 844Kcd
K65GT + DeLens Only 5500L 884Kcd

2.8% Lumen Gain
4.7% Kcd Gain

I know that even if someone orders specs, the "before" testing is extra work for you. So many of us appreciate being able to share in this data with you because we enjoy the hobby so much. Thank you for passing it along to us!

BTW, I think a nearly 5% gain in throw is pretty darn cool, when we're talking about lights of this performance level.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that even if someone orders specs, the "before" testing is extra work for you. So many of us appreciate being able to share in this data with you because we enjoy the hobby so much. Thank you for passing it along to us!

BTW, I think a nearly 5% gain in throw is pretty darn cool, when we're talking about lights of this performance level.
Data be the day, that I buy lights without seeing the specs first! :)

----------------
My future signature: X65GT: Still rocks!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I havnt build any of those. They are pre-orders :p

I will have S200C2vn90, X65vn90 Mini, K30vn90 specs coming soon!

Dupree

Newly Enlightened
Any chance you might try it in a Thrunight Catapult V6???
Add some copper to manage the heat???
Anyone (looking at you Patriot -:) have any ideas on rough numbers regarding output and throw?
I think it would be a MUST HAVE if Vinh could get it to throw over 1000m...thoughts anyone?