Scam? 300-hours @ 300lm.. on 1 D-cell. (Triatholight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY

Enlightened
I read the entire comments thread on Kickstarter, and this CPF thread, and based on my 15 years working with LED flashlights, I have come to the conclusion that this project is interpreting the laws of basic physics in a manner that is contrary to what I learned in graduate school.

aceo07

Enlightened
I just ran into this KS last night. It was an amusing read through the comments. The best and worst thing about people is that they can be very support, even blindly so. There's no way that this project would get unfunded by enough people dropping their pledge.

The project description is actually OK since it never mentions lumens. They may have just been had a old old 3xAAA 32led flashlight laying around and only a D cell around.. Seems like they got into a corner in their comment section and started making up things.

They must be making a pretty profit on each flashlight.

Last edited:

topcho

Newly Enlightened
I bet the guy regretted 100 times that he mentioned lumen output. A lot of those supporters commenting use very similar language and are likely shills.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet a lot of backers will be quite happy if they get what's shown, because it serves their purposes. Even if it puts out a lot less light than expected.

But also a significant portion of backers might be disappointed, when it turns out actual output falls FAR short of an expected ~300 lumens. I'm wondering if project starter is opening himself up to lawsuits... :thinking:

KS page mentions something about an independent review:
The reviewer wanted to let the Triatholight run another week before writing the review. It will be completed approximately 1 week before our Kickstarter campaign ends and will be posted on the reviewers website as well as here on Kickstarter.
Anyone have an idea what review site that might be? According to KS page, that review should be out right about now.

Czw

Newly Enlightened
But also a significant portion of backers might be disappointed, when it turns out actual output falls FAR short of an expected ~300 lumens. I'm wondering if project starter is opening himself up to lawsuits... :thinking:

KS page mentions something about an independent review:

Anyone have an idea what review site that might be?

The review is available here https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-triatholight-a-300-hour-flashlight-that-seems-too-84489515654.html
however the writer does not seem scientifically literate, and has made no attempt to measure the light output.

Chops

Newly Enlightened
Here's a picture of the light in action.. (Taken from comments section - resized for BB).

If anyone(s) feel like posting what their 300 lumen lights look like, we could always use a comparison :).

t6H5HWm.jpg

Last edited:

Czw

Newly Enlightened
Here's a picture of the light in action..

The light from the flashlight is only lighting up the room. The fence and other building are illuminated from another light source, a light source that is not in the pictures where a "standard" flashlight is tested, or no flashlight at all. :fail:

Using this picture to demonstrate their flashlight is misleading at best. People might think their flashlight is the only source of light, and that the flashlight is a lot brighter than it is. This is not a mistake that should be made by people who claim to have science and engineering qualifications, who should understand things like background measurements and SNR.

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Here's a picture of the light in action.. (Taken from comments section - resized for BB).

If anyone(s) feel like posting what their 300 lumen lights look like, we could always use a comparison :).

t6H5HWm.jpg

WOW - that almost lights up..... the WHOLE window!:)
Let me compare again with Sparkys post (thanks Sparky) ..... Youp, I knew it - with my sunglasses on Sparkys 300 lumen look just a tiny bit brighter. Without measuring equipment we can´t be absolutely sure but Yes it could really be 300 lumen or 30.... or 3, the standard person can´t tell the difference anyway, its something like the energy-saving bulbs from the supermarket 8w replace 60w bulbs ... but somehow they look like 20w compared, just to me of course....:)

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'd love to see some proper measurements done on this light, or even do that myself. But

a) I could only compare to other lights I own & guesstimate ballpark figures. Don't own the required measurement tools (integrating sphere + calibrated lux meter) myself. Probably could find those in my area, but... have other things to do & don't care enough to spend the time.
b) Out of principle, don't want to give money to someone making claims that I know won't hold. Physics & math combined are more reliable than humans... :( Read: I already know what I wanted to know, and have lost interest as a result. What's interesting in this case is not the technical aspects, but what people will do when it hits the market (or if it doesn't!).

But if someone wants to pitch in or start a little fundraise: please! May I suggest:

1) Raise money to buy 1 specimen.
2) Shoot some pix / beamshots for the archives.
3) Do some needed measurements, properly.
4) Use the money back guarantee.
5) Send the light on to that "will it blend?" dude. :devil:

:popcorn:

Chops

Newly Enlightened
...Read: I already know what I wanted to know, and have lost interest as a result. What's interesting in this case is not the technical aspects, but what people will do when it hits the market (or if it doesn't!).
But if someone wants to pitch in or start a little fundraise: please! May I suggest:

4) Use the money back guarantee.
5) Send the light on to that "will it blend?" dude. :devil:

Haha, that's about where I'm at too.. I think more than numerical/lumens readings, what I'm really interested to see is how all of the people who bought one react when they realize:

1) Their keychain lights are brighter and
2) ** THERE IS NO MONEY BACK GUARANTE ** lol..

I know even the "Professional" Yahoo review said there was, but if you read the fine print it says "Money back guarantee... you'll either get a Triatholight, or your money back."
My buddy actually asked about the guarantee specifically.. when he did, Brett refused to answer publicly. As always, inspiring confidence, every step of the way :)

I'm especially curious to see the reaction of the people who blindly/vigorously defended a guy they'd never met and a product they'd never used. Most will probably be too proud to complain too loudly, but I expect a few barkers.

topcho

Newly Enlightened
It will be fun seeing this story unfold. I still wonder if this was lousy marketing or an elaborate scam.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that this thread has gone far enough in debating the claims of the said KS individual. In some posts that individual has been demeaned, a Rule 4 violation. Closing this.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.