Searching for the perfect relatively small LED - not sure if it exists.

boe_d

Newly Enlightened
I haven't purchased a really nice LED in ages. For me a perfect flaslight would be IPX8, have a charge status indicator like the O-light Warrior 3S, a glow ring or rods, have a bright of 2000 lumens or greater (tested), a medium 400 lumen (tested) 6 hours or more, have USB type C to Type C charging 3amp (to the flashlight not the batteries), in a size about that of an innova T4 - streamlight HL5-x would be a little too large - it doesn't need to be as small as the nitecore e4K (although no complaint if it is).

I say tested because Amazon has no-name $20 flashlights that are 100,000 lumen that will last on high for 17 years (exaggerating but you get the idea).

Any thoughts on something that has most of these?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
While most of the "points" are totally irrelevant to me, I wonder:
how do You think extreme watertightness and a charging possibility can come together ?

boe_d

Newly Enlightened
Yellow,

You took the time to respond to a post to point out that it was mostly irrelavent to you to ask about charging technology? That would be like me posting to a medical journal saying I have a problem with elbow flex, stiffness, stabbing pain and discoloration - here is a picture of the elbow and someone replied - I don't care about your symptoms, why would you wear a shirt that color with your complexion.

There are several USB C charging flashlights that use rubber gaskets to retain that IPX-8 designation such as the ThruNite BSS V5. The Olights such as the OLIGHT Seeker 3 Pro do it with a magnetic charger. I'm not a fluid dynamics scientist or an electrical engineer so for more info beyond that, I'd suggest you create a new thread to get greater insight into how they achieve this.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd requirements tbh....

Why 2000 lumens?

Yet no mentioned of the type of beam, tint or user interface. Do you have a specific use case for the light. Stating outputs is a bit like saying you must have a 500 horse power vehicle..... But an 18 wheeler is quite different to a 2 seat sports car, even if they both have the same power.

boe_d

Newly Enlightened
Good question.

2000 lumens as I tend to look for a relatively wide dispersal but need some distance (ideally relatively bright at 250 yards).

I honestly don't have an requirement for the tint -neutral white? As for the user interface - if you are talking about the button (honestly don't know, I'm not a flashlight expert) I don't care if it is on the bottom or the side. If you are talking about the mechanism for adjusting the brightness, I love the idea of a dial vs pressing the button repeatedly like on the OLIGHT SEEKER 3 - although it should be click setting, click setting as it isn't a truly gradually variable output.

I'm not sure I get your analogy but if I am getting it; If you've ever hauled a boat, you have an idea of what HP and torque you need in your truck. I've held a flashlight before - several, several of different thows and distances. I'm no expert but I think I have some idea of what I want.

Since the items I haven't answered are of more important than the specs I've listed - I'll be using it in hot and cold weather. I don't need a green laser. I don't need to be able to ignite matches with it. I'll be using it when it doesn't precipitate as well as when it rains and snows. I will be using it in open fields as well as in forests with both diciduous and non-deciduous trees. I'm concerned it may fall to the bottom of a small row boat which may occasionally have standing water (not high saline content) when it rains. I willl not be attaching it to a weapon. I'm a Leo and like long walks on the beach with a woman who has a good sense of humor. I may use it in a house to spot a mouse. I will not use it to illuminate green eggs and ham.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ALWAYS recommend fenix to non flashaholics , great choice !