• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Seattle 2 New York City Road Trip March 13-22

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Bella will have a fabulous time and be forever grateful for such a wonderful and thoughtful owner who takes her on a trip to NYC. But poor Wayne, I'm sure he'll get over it.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of wonderful and interesting things to do, see and experience. Good that you're getting help on your trip. I'd advise to use all the information and plan as best you can. Not fun to have lost/wasted days or time due to poor planning. Unless of course it's part of the plan.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinh when will you be in NYC? I can take the train down and we could meet up for drinks if you want

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely in for a NYC meetup with our flashlight hero! Let us know which day(s) you're here and I will clear my schedule!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
hmmm, somebody is flying in to Seattle at 6:25 am Saturday morning on the fourth. This person is riding back to New York in one of your vehicles or a rental.'
Could it be a female you have been corresponding with from the homeland that is coming to be with the Mighty Vinh?
If it's your vehicle then you are taking her to live there and giving her one of your cars and you will be coming back alone.
If you are renting the ride then you are taking her on a tour of the USA and if things go good you will get married under the Statue of Liberty on the 21st or 22nd. Then mr and mrs Nguyen will fly back to Seattle and live happily ever after.
But then again your rider might be a family member from home that wants to see our country.
Either way dude I hope Wayne isn't too pissed you will be leaving him alone again. Better give him a raise!

+1

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Wow...May be we can meet at a bar somewhere in NYC??? That would be so funnnn! :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Keep the suggestions coming. I am going to sit down with my shotgun rider and plan it all out. :)

Capolini

Banned
I drove from Seattle to NYC area a couple of years back and am now planning the return trip for this summer :).

How do you get from Princeton, N.J. to Seattle?!!! ;)

EDIT: I think I understand now! You have stayed in NYC area for a few years now your driving back home?!

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Something you may want to consider is to plan your trip for the 10 days, then leave a day or two early. First you have a real long haul, and should something go wrong you will still be good, all it takes is the car to have something or a lost credit card, also on this kind of trip have some emergency cash on you. Just trust me on this. And, if you arrive early you can relax for a day before you hit the town. Or be able to stop at something along the way and not be so worried about staying on a schedule. Just a little built in leasure time. You never know what you will come across on the road, and want to check out.

Since you live in the Seattle area you can go to my favorite luggage maker, Tom Bihn, that I am always talking about, and get something to make the trip easier and more fun.

For or a trip like this, take enough clothes for the entire trip so you are covered, and you don't have to do a wash, then on the day you fly back put your clothes in a box and Fed-Ex them home. This way you have what you need. There is nothing worse than having to do laundry on the road, and at 10 days you will be pretty well packed.

Since the the airlines charge for luggage anyway, I now ship my suitcase to the hotel and back home, and eliminate the airlines from all but my carry on, and it is a great way to travel. Just make sure you can trust the hotel. However, in your case, you are driving the first segment of the trip, and would be shipping outbound to home so you are good. Just don't use the overnight service.

Travel can can be fun, and how you make it a fun, no problem trip is all in the planning. It really is all in the planning. The better you plan, the more enjoyable your trip will be.

Now, GPS...cool, until all of the things that can fail...fail. Go to Wal-Mart and get an atlas, and to AAA so you can have a NYC map. Study them before you depart. You can still use the GPS but, it is nice to have an idea where you are both on the road and in the city. Even the Maps on computers are just not the same as a real map.

Manhattan is easy to get around the streets run east and west while the avenues go north and south. The outer boroughs, I am not very familiar with. However they are great places, too.

I have traveled my entire life, the last almost 40 years on business, which has taken me around the world many times, all on someone else's expense accounts. Which has been wonderful. Plus, I was able to take my wife and daughter around the world.

Hopefully, something here will assist you. There are some other professional travelers here on the forum, I'm sure they will have some good ideas for you.

One more bit of advice, for anyone young is travel now, don't wait until you are older. I'm glad I had the opportunity growing up to have a family that travelled quite a bit, and that I have always been my own boss. Just travel while you are young. It gives you a lifetime of memories, and it is so educational, you learn so much as a traveler. I gained more knowledge traveling than anything I ever did in college.

I know people who are in their 50's just starting to go places, and the world is becoming a much more dangerous place, so see it now, who knows what the future has in store.

That's all for now,

RL

Last edited:

write2dgray

Enlightened
How do you get from Princeton, N.J. to Seattle?!!! ;)

EDIT: I think I understand now! You have stayed in NYC area for a few years now your driving back home?!
Yep, we move around a bit, but it's getting old. It is a fun cross country trip except for the Chicago area. The Dakotas can also be a little blah.

write2dgray

Enlightened
Last time I left Seattle late Monday afternoon with my pooch and arrived on the east coast early Friday morning with no night driving.

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
If your route takes you through Minnesota or Wisconsin I will take you out ice fishing. My guess is that you have never done this before and driving or even walking on the ice can be a cool experience for newbies.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,

Healthy, free, the world before me,

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,

Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,

Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,

Strong and content I travel the open road.

Gently,but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

I inhale great draughts of space,

The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine..."

Song of the open road Walt Whitman

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
See even if vinh became homeless, he doesnt have to worry about shelters.. lol. He got back up... just playing..

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please contact me. Been trying to reach you for a while now.

dont forget I'm in Pennsylvania Thursdays. If Vinh is meeting up with you let me know. Also I think Ellis island is closed for construction, last time I was there. You can still walk around but the museum was clos d

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I only skim through the suggestions and wow so many places. Hopefully 10 days is enough. I will finalize 3 routes and then I will let you guys vote ;-)

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leave 2 weeks earlier--Go south through New Orleans---Mardi Gras --you'll never forget what you'll experience

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Sounds like fun. Some things I'd do in NYC, if you aren't exhausted from the trip!

The Staten Island Ferry gives an awe-inspiring view of downtown Manhattan, including the Freedom Tower, and is free. It also passes pretty close to the Statue of Liberty, so, two birds with one stone. Leaves from lower Manhattan every 15 or 30 min.

The High Line is cool, an old elevated railway converted to a beautiful park that goes from the trendy meatpacking district up to Chelsea, along the western edge of Manhattan , although will be chilly this time of year.
http://www.thehighline.org/visit

Chelsea Market is a nice destination, indoor promenade sort of area with lots of shops and people watching.
http://www.chelseamarket.com/

Also, Top of the Rock observatory at Rockefeller Center has probably better views than the Empire state Building, as it is 360 degrees and closer to Central Park.
https://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

Williamsburg is a cool neighborhood if you want to check out Brooklyn. First stop on the L train. DUMBO is another Brooklyn neighborhood I like. Astoria is cool in Queens. In Manhattan, just walking around the East and West Village, SoHo, and TriBeCa can be interesting.

There are tons of amazing museums as well, some are free or suggested donation. The IMAX at Lincoln Square is an awesome theater, although I suppose they have movies everywhere ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,

Healthy, free, the world before me,

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,

Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,

Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,

Strong and content I travel the open road.

Gently,but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

I inhale great draughts of space,

The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine..."

Song of the open road Walt Whitman

That Volvo commercial has ruined this for me.

Latest posts