• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Seattle 2 New York City Road Trip March 13-22

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... Williamsburg is a cool neighborhood if you want to check out Brooklyn. First stop on the L train. ...

Cheers!

To each their own. I'd suggest taking the #2 to Prospect Park and checking out the Bklyn Botanical Gardens and the Bklyn Museum. Both very good and the Cherry Blossoms might start to bloom in late March at the gardens which would be well worth it.

paulsl

Enlightened
Vinh, joelbnyc recommends many good sights in NYC (mostly Manhattan) that I agree with but I would make sure you hit the MET or Metropolitan Museum of Art om 5th Ave and 82nd St, the MOMA or Museum of Modern Art on West 53rd between 5th and 6th Avenues and the Hayden Planetarium and the American Museum of Natural History both on Central Park West Ave and 78th St. LMK and I may come in to have dinner with you and your friend in one of several great places. I was born in Manhattan and lived there mostly until July 2015.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Hey Vinh congratulations on your wonderful trip. If you see one of those guys in NYC selling an empty box of Otter Pops for $7. could you get me one? Also, if your traveling around NYC and things start looking worse and worse, probably want to just turn around and go back. I haven't been in NYC since 1979 though. Careful about getting mugged there. It could just happen before you know it. Always keep valuables very safe while in NYC.

paulsl

Enlightened
NYC is one of the safest large cities in the USA so lets not get carried away with the danger. In the 70's through 90's, crime was way worse. I know, I lived there for over 50 years and was born there,

donn_

Flashaholic
10 days from there to here and back? You won't see much other than road signs and motel rooms. Have a good drive, though.

Edited to add...I re-read post#1..you're flying back. That'll add a little time for touristing.

Hint: The best thing about NYC is the food. Be sure to research all the good eats while you're here.

Last edited:

RobertB

Newly Enlightened
I used to ride my motorcycles cross country every year for about 10 years. Badlands of South Dakota is one of the most beautiful areas in the country. Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills of SD, Custer State park, Crazy Horse monument, Devils tower, Spearfish SD area... etc... I know a lot of immigrants and Euro visitors love visiting NYC, but I don't see the charm in that city. Upstate NY is beautiful though, and I used to avoid NYC/Jersey areas like the plague.

Make sure you stop by the Mitchell Corn Palace, and maybe catch a local high school basketball game, or the 80's tribute band. Americana at it's best.. lol Watch the movie "Cars" before you make the trip

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
I only skim through the suggestions and wow so many places. Hopefully 10 days is enough. I will finalize 3 routes and then I will let you guys vote ;-)

I don't think I saw it suggested, but you should consider driving through the Badlands. We loved that part of our trip! And I second the advice to determine that you will NOT eat chain restaurants! Eating local is totally the way to go!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Last night I sat down and did some basic math for the expenses I know for sure for the 10 days and it made me a little nervous LOL
I haven't even read though all the recreation suggestions yet.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Badlands of South Dakota is one of the most beautiful areas in the country. Mt. Rushmore, The Black Hills of SD, Custer State park, Crazy Horse monument, Devils tower, Spearfish SD area...

Absolutely stunning area! Deadwood is cool as well.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Today is March 4th! My girlfriend just arrived to visit me :)
Work will continue part time until the 13th.
No work at all on the 13-22nd
Work part time from the 23-29th
Work resume full throttle on the 30th
Thank you all for understanding!

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to hear, Vinh!

Have fun, take pictures, share a few, and forget about the business for a few days! You'll have such a story by April...

MC408

Enlightened
Nice! Enjoy your time together and your trip Vinh! Work can wait and isn't going anywhere, it'll be here when you get back!

ven

Flashaholic
:rock:have a great time vinh, some amazing memories ahead.............just around the corner:)

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today is March 4th! My girlfriend just arrived to visit me :)
Work will continue part time until the 13th.
No work at all on the 13-22nd
Work part time from the 23-29th
Work resume full throttle on the 30th
Thank you all for understanding!
Pics or it didn't happen:) lol
Very happy for you both. Congrats....