Security Cameras + DVR + Watermarking

Mednanu

Enlightened
I've been getting a bad gut feeling lately that theives have been lurking around my neighborhood and have just had that gut feeling confirmed by 5 break-ins in as many nights, reported by several of my close neighbors. I've been meaning to invest in a DVR based security security system but haven't had the $$$ to spend on a decent one. In light of all of the break-ins lately, I don't think I can afford not to invest in one at this point. So I'm looking for two things:

1) Recommendations on good standalone ( not PC based ) DVR systems that sport digital watermarking.

2) Any good DVR/Security forums that any of you may know about so that I can make a more informed choice. I sifted through CPF before I bought a flashlight ( and was quite happy I did ), and figure that I want to do the same for my DVR - get a sampling of the best opinions and knowledge from the experts, rather than the salesmen.​

Thanks in advance for any info & recommendations you can offer.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i a few years ago made a system for my pc with a good low light video camera had it set on motion senser on pc that then would send the pic to a email addy so if they stold the pc id still have the pic boy im glad i dont live there no more lol i hate thiefs and think they should be put under the jail

Brock

Flashaholic
I have used our Tivo and a cheap x-10 wireless camera as security cameras. Actually I use it to keep an eye on the kids when they are outside but it is really easy to tell tivo to record it for how ever long you want it to record and at 4 different "speeds" so to speak.

x-10 also makes a night camera do a search on ebay for XX20AThey are pretty good in low light, for the $ anyway.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a subscription to "Security Technology & Design" magazine and there are tons of ads for this type of thing. PM me your address and I'll drop a copy or two in the mail for you.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Radio shack carries several types of decent -wired- cameras (I can't recommend the wireless stuff they carry). They can connect to anything that will accept RCA jack input.

I hooked mine up to my DVR setup to monitor an alleyway outside my bedroom window and finally snagged the graffitti punks :)

Mednanu

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the responses everybody. Sorry I haven't been able to check back over the past few days, but in addition to looking for DVR equipment, I've been busy scanning all of my important documents onto encrypted disk images....then dumping the originals into a beefy safe, offsite.

Ironically, one of my strategies at this point is to get everything important so locked down, encrypted, or placed offsite ( securely that is ) that there wouldn't be anything of consequence to steal if someone ever managed to get in. But I still want to get the whole DVR setup taken care of fairly soon as well.

Thanks again for your input gang !

PJ

Enlightened
This website should have what you are looking for.

www.supercircuits.com

I think they have buyers guides and comparison charts to find what you want.

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
I subscribe to SDM magazine, and again there are alot of ads for this stuff.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
A couple of quick thoughts -

A webcam has higher resolution than a (NTSC) video camera, but video cameras are more flexible in terms of using long cables and recording multiple cameras on one machine.

If you're having trouble now, go out and pick up a Q-See DVR card for your PC as well as a few $40 video cameras from them. The card supports motion detection (adjustable zones), email alerts and other useful features. I've played with this card and I like it, especially for a little over $100.

For professional DVR gear, a security guy that I know uses Samsung multiple-input DVRs. Not cheap but enterprise-grade stuff.

I hope this helps.

Mednanu

Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
A couple of quick thoughts -

A webcam has higher resolution than a (NTSC) video camera...
Thanks for the inputs PW ! I've definitely been looking over what resolution I can afford. So many of the cameras out there simply don't provide good enough detail to identify anyone picked up by the cam. I'm still deciding what I can afford, but the only effective alternative for me will probably be something relatively high-end that detects very high rez IR+Color images ( quite expensive unfortunately ).

PhotonWrangler said:
...If you're having trouble now, go out and pick up a Q-See DVR card for your PC ...

As for the PC cards, I'd like to stay away from them due to the inherent instability of non-hardware based OS'es. Being a UNIX admin, I don't even have the confidence that a good 'NIX box will be up nearly 100% of the time, let alone a Windows box ( sorry, not trying to start a flame war here - I just work with these OS'es on a daily basis and get to see many of their key weaknesses ). Even on a well configured 'NIX box, there's always the possibility of HW failures in addition to OS crashes or panics that invite a percentage 'probability of failure' at just the wrong times that I'd like to stay away from. Utilizing a firmware-based OS on dedicated hardware simply reduces the number of possible failure points on the functionality aspects of the box, which is what I'm leaning towards at this point.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Mednanu said:
As for the PC cards, I'd like to stay away from them due to the inherent instability of non-hardware based OS'es. Being a UNIX admin, I don't even have the confidence that a good 'NIX box will be up nearly 100% of the time, let alone a Windows box

That's a point well taken, Mednanu. I once made the mistake of trying to run a DVR card on a Win98 box, and with all of that video constantly pounding on the system, the hard drive was chewed to pieces within a couple of weeks.

Having said that, I'm still going to build a new Windoze box for one of these cards while I save up some $$$ for a "real" security DVR with an embedded OS.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
I once made the mistake of trying to run a DVR card on a Win98 box, and with all of that video constantly pounding on the system, the hard drive was chewed to pieces within a couple of weeks.

I was considering that very thing, and just looked at that Q-See DVR card. If you set it up for motion detection rather than continuous recording, would that still be a problem? I need to set up monitoring for the outside of my house, but was planning on using the motion detection feature to hopefully record only real activity rather than footage of the grass growing. Not sure how effective that might be.

I have some old PCs that I figured I would press into service as a dedicated host for the card; but if that's a bad idea, I'll look into the standalone units.

If anyone has any leads on a good cost effective 4 channel unit, point the way- :tinfoil:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Wingerr said:
I was considering that very thing, and just looked at that Q-See DVR card. If you set it up for motion detection rather than continuous recording, would that still be a problem? I need to set up monitoring for the outside of my house, but was planning on using the motion detection feature to hopefully record only real activity rather than footage of the grass growing. Not sure how effective that might be.

I have some old PCs that I figured I would press into service as a dedicated host for the card; but if that's a bad idea, I'll look into the standalone units.

If anyone has any leads on a good cost effective 4 channel unit, point the way- :tinfoil:

Yes, setting them for motion detection will be much easier on the hard drive! I should've done that to mine; the HD would've lasted much longer.

Joel

Newly Enlightened
Our building was getting broken into about 2-3 times a year. We installed a professional DVR system with 8 cameras. Here's what the system is good for:

It will NOT prevent crimes, the guys breaking in don't even care that you have a recording system - even if you prominently display a warning you have such a system.

It WILL show you the weak areas of your building so that you can take appropriate action to prevent further breaches. We found out that the guys were coming right in through our building lobby door, they just stuck a screwdriver in between the door bolt and the frame and pried it open. We welded a steel plate to cover that area but they just used more force to pop open the lock.

We ended up replacing the front door, the new model has steel pins that go up into the top of the door frame and down into the threshold. We also replaced all outside locks with the Mul-T-Lock brand.

It has been over a year now and not one single break in.

So...the main thing is don't go overboard on price, a half way decent system will do the same job as our expensive system ($9,000).

BTW - They did try to gain entry by breaking one of our Mul-T-Lock but they couldn't (they broke the lock, but still couldn't get in)

Joel

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll definitely be watching the budget on it; just looking for a basic setup for after-the-fact analysis. That 9k system's got to be pretty cool though-

Not expecting the crooks to have the sense to stay away when they're on candid camera, but I'd like to see if I can find out the who-what-where+when it happened.