Seized Lanyard

dfred

Enlightened
zespectre said:
And here's the photo....

Cool, thanks for the pic! Glad it worked...

It looks like you did it all with paracord? If so, it's good to know that's feasible. I hadn't tried it since I had the smaller cord around. I'll be interested whether it's more prone to loosening since the smaller stuff probably gets more "bite" into the paracord. But if it didn't slide during the tightening phase, that's probably a good sign.

And to address your ealier comment... the one on my SF L2 has been wet a couple of times and shown no change.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, all I had was paracord, hence the comment about grabbing the constrictor knots with two pairs of pliers in order to tighten them enough.

I almost ran the loop from the tail to the head but decided it'd get in my way when I do want to slide the light into my jacket pocket while out walking.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
dandruff said:
great pics! cpf needs more posts like these (ie with pics)!

thanks!

I agree. There arent enough pictures on CPF. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:

dfred

Enlightened
pfmedic said:
I agree. There arent enough pictures on CPF. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks. I also enjoy seeing pics in threads. I figured for something like this thread they would really make it a lot easier to understand what the heck I was talking about.

zespectre said:
Yeah, all I had was paracord, hence the comment about grabbing the constrictor knots with two pairs of pliers in order to tighten them enough.

Ah, right... And though smaller line might not have to be pulled as tight to get a good bite, is definitely bites the hands worse too. A trick for tightening small stuff is to use a marlinspike hitch around a couple small rods as handles for tightening. Or you can even use constrictors if you're quick at tying them as hitches over the end, they tend to be more stable than the marlinspike hitches. You end up "wasting" a lot more seizing cord doing it this way, but you can sure get them tight.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:
:kewlpics: That is really cool!!

Heres what I use on my HAIII Mag85:

(HOTLINKED pics not allowed - pic deleted)

The grip is nice and tacky rubber, feels like an inside out wet-suit.

The strap is adjustable and theres a clip you can clip to an belt loop etc. It really works for me too.

-PSM
Hey PSM,

Where did you get that strap/grip combo ?? Looks great.

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering: If you wanted to be able to switch between going gloved and going gloveless, can your lanyard quickly adjust in length or size?

juancho

Enlightened
I have been using my home-brew tiger ring in a couple of my tactical lights.

one is made with a rubber gasket from the plumbing department at Home Depot and the other is a hair tie.

Both work great! in use you pass the tiger ring thru the index finger, when you want the light out of the way to go for a reload, you flip the light to the back of the hand, after the magazine is home you flip your light back with a movement of your wrist into your hand.

Even easier for those flashlights that don't have any attaching points like the G-2, you just knot the hair tie and pass the body of the flashlight thru the small loop and the finger thru the big loop.

I think that the idea originated with Gabe Suarez that used a flash bang ring for the first time about 3 years ago.

tigerrings.jpg

regards
Juan C.

roguesw

Enlightened
wow, i love this lanyard tie system, it offers usuability of your fingers ( the index finger and your thumb ) dexterity and mobility and importantly, there is nothing dangling from your wrist.
has anyone thought about
cutting neoprene wetsuit gloves for only the middle and ring finger, incorporating these into the lanyard? so its attached to your hand and has less chance of falling off? and still gives you ability to use your fingers and have the light close to you
great work with the pictures
wish i could tie knots that cleanly
Des

dfred

Enlightened
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'm happy to see this thread active again...

Paul_in_Maryland said:
Just wondering: If you wanted to be able to switch between going gloved and going gloveless, can your lanyard quickly adjust in length or size?

Nope, lack of adjustability is one of the drawbacks of this type of setup.

One thing I've found that sometimes works when wearing some gloves is to use my pinky and ring fingers. Only works with fairly thin gloves, though, and the flashlight has to be long enough to accomodate shifting one's grip like that. Works well on my SF L2...

roguesw said:
has anyone thought about
cutting neoprene wetsuit gloves for only the middle and ring finger, incorporating these into the lanyard

One of the things I was going for with this idea was very minimalist and that it still allowed more or less normal pocket carry. But that's an interesting idea... However, actually incorporating the glove into the lanyard would make it almost impossible to let go of the flashlight if your hand got entangled in something. See Sub_Umbra's post #13 for some cautionary thoughts on attaching things too strongly to your hands...

dfred

Enlightened
Oops, missed this one...

Changchung said:
This is what i have...

[See Images Above]
Cool, that's an interesting variation on the T2, using the lanyard holes on the tailcap. Obviously it only works if you don't permanently attach the other end (unless you don't mind redoing the lanyard each time you change the batteries.). But I like it, thanks for sharing...

Hmmm, or is that the T1 in the lower picture?

Last edited:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but is easy take it out... In the pic are, Left T2 Right X1...

dfred said:
Oops, missed this one...

Cool, that's an interesting variation on the T2, using the lanyard holes on the tailcap. Obviously it only works if you don't permanently attach the other end (unless you don't mind redoing the lanyard each time you change the batteries.). But I like it, thanks for sharing...

Hmmm, or is that the T1 in the lower picture?

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
If you use bungee cord instead of paracord, you can make the loop smaller, so it won't be in the way when you're not using it, but it will stretch to the size you need when you slip your fingers into it and give more traction, without making it difficult to remove quickly if you need to. 1/8" bungee cord (a tiny bit thinner than 550 paracord) is cheap on eBay. I ended up replacing my paracord boot laces with bungee cord.

dfred

Enlightened
Just a quick update on my continued use of this type of lanyard...

The one pictured in the OP on my SF L2 has held up very well, showing only minor surface "fuzziness" on the paracord after 2+ years daily carry, etc. Over time the lanyard loop has shrunk slightly making it tighter around my fingers than originally designed, though it seems to have stabilized now. I suspect this may be due to the fact I didn't pre-shrink the paracord. I'd suggest anybody using this method either preshrink cords or make the lanyard loop slightly looser than you eventually want it to be.

LG&M

Enlightened
Nice idea and thanks for the update. How do you preshrink para cord?