Self-checkout and receipt checks

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chalk up extra security in part to inflation and other hardships, and increases in shoplifting, a difficult

An increased Security presence in the retail sector is also driven somewhat by the increase in violence in store against Shoppers and Staff alike, I am sure this isn't a localised occurrence we are seeing with this phenomenon.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Small rant,
the last time I was at the Dollar Store getting some strike-on-box matches, there were four people in front of me.
I had 3 boxes and a $5 in my hand which would only take a few seconds.
All four people in front of me at the dollar store paid with plastic,, seemed like everyone needed coaching on the machine and I wondered how many extra minutes this took me standing there.
If you can't pull together $20 to go to the dollar store, you have other things you need to sort out
I find much the same, ready with cash and bag, while some people ahead with plastic are fumbling to find the right card; or it takes several tries and still may not work; then they have to find a different one.

I usually also have near/exact change in hand as figuring total of a small number of items is easy; and I have small bills/coins as some customers pay with $20 or $50 bills for maybe $5-$10 in items. Dollar Tree sometimes runs low on small bills. This speeds things up a bit.

I knew this was coming a couple of decades ago when I guy I knew in line in front of me in a fruit and vegetable store, buying 59c worth of bananas, payed with a card.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
An increased Security presence in the retail sector is also driven somewhat by the increase in violence in store against Shoppers and Staff alike, I am sure this isn't a localised occurrence we are seeing with this phenomenon.
Indeed, and I notice increased panhandling outside some stores which is fairly recent ,which the guards need to handle; I don't envy their job.

Dave

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I like self checkout, I do it on my own pace, check each item price while I scan them (sometimes it diverges from the tag on the shelf, system error or scam?), I organize items in my bags the way I like them.
Always pay card, using my iPhone or Apple Watch wallet, it's safe, needs my face for authentication and there's no risk or anybody stealing my card using NFC (like it happened to @bykfixer ).

Here in Canada the gas stations still are fill first, get inside to pay or pay at the pump using card, at least for the pumps closest to the convenience store, where the clerks can keep an eye.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I generally dislike self-checkouts because of the weird behavior of some of them. The self-checkout lanesa at our grocery store can be downright spastic, sometimes reversing the belt and demanding that you take something off the belt and put it on again. The A/I that tries to figure out what's been scanned properly and what hasn't is just glitchy, and it makes for an embarrassing experience, especially when someone is waiting behind me.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, and I notice increased panhandling outside some stores which is fairly recent ,which the guards need to handle; I don't envy their job.

Dave
Begging is illegal in most States here but they decriminalised public drunkenness, go figure 🤣

Whilst rude/difficult Staff aren't uncommon, aggressive overly-entitled customers are on the rise.

Love self-checkout. Never, ever, been asked to check my receipt. FAST! I'm much faster than any cashier. Only time it's less convenient is when there's a line at self-checkout and a free register. I'm talking about groceries, Lowes, and Home Depot as the places I do this.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can't remember the last time I actually used cash. Having a bank card linked to your bank account is just way easier. For me anyways.
Few months back, cash registers at Wal-greens went down. Big lines of people. They announced they could only take cash payments for now. Guess who was literally the only one there who was able to pay for his items. :)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
maybe im just stupid but i cant do the self check out thing. im public im so scared my mind trully just shuts down to im back home

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Love self-checkout. Never, ever, been asked to check my receipt. FAST! I'm much faster than any cashier.
I've never been able to hit anything close to the pace I was able to maintain during my cashiering days. Perhaps I was more motivated to clear my line so I could go merchandise shelves, sweep the lot for carts - anything other than run that register.

So...how does ALDI stay in business? Last I knew, they only took cash as payment.
They'll accept debit cheerfully, as its transaction fees are peanuts relative to credit.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
We can blame social media for a lot of this. Frequently these nitwits are looking to score points at the expense of others around them.
Social media is ruining society, that is a whole topic unto itself.

I wonder how (or if) self-checkout handles discounted items which still have scannable barcode. I frequently get baked goods marked down 50%. Cashier needs to enter it manually (override). The markdown tags only apply to certain items of a particular product, not all with the same barcode. I'll ask next time I'm in.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in Canada the gas stations still are fill first, get inside to pay or pay at the pump using card, at least for the pumps closest to the convenience store, where the clerks can keep an eye.
Not the case here, all stations switched to pay-first recently.

Dave

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
Self-checkout has been a thing in retail for something like 25 years.

I remember a local grocery store installing a SCOT-labelled terminal in the late 90s (can't track down the make/model) that was remarkably high-tech for the time with machine vision to track movement of items from cart to scanner to bagging area in addition to irregular movements that might constitute shrinkage. The workflow was glacial by modern standards with the user having to wait for the system to seemingly step through events and exceptions that triggered lockdowns were all too common, but if you weren't buying much and the express lanes were queuing up it was a convenient option; a fringe benefit was it also felt like we were on our way to the future than a later IBM commercial predicted (and is now sort of here).

But in recent years - seemingly ramping up with the pandemic - self-checkout has transitioned from an option to the option at megalomarts across the country as there are often no cashiers available outside of customer service. The most apparent cause is the rise of pickup orders - staff that would have once been checking out in-store customers are now fulfilling orders for internet customers.

So now in-store customers are being funneled to self-checkout as the only real means of making that purchase. And while modern self-serve POS terminals are a world away from the SCOT terminal of decades past they've still got deficiencies that make the self-checkout experience unpleasant:
  • At a fundamental level the physical layout is usually quite bad
    • Most stands I've seen are planar - infeed, scanner, outfeed are on the same plane - making handling difficult
    • The bagging arrangement is inexplicably worse than actual cashier stands
    • Retailers are packing more self-service checkstands per square foot than manned checkstands
    • Once you've scanned and bagged everything you have to then reload the cart
  • The pace is agonizingly slow
    • Scanners are sometimes artificially throttled
    • Item lookup is absolutely agonizingly slow
    • Some stations will go into lockdown should you dare not to place scanned items into the (strain gauge-weighed) bagging area
  • The UI/workflow is trash
    • Touchscreen hardware is almost always garbage, requiring more pressure than is reasonable
    • The UI is bafflingly slow
    • Exceptions requiring employee intervention are all too frequent
      • Scan one thing too many? Employee intervention required.
      • Lookup failed because of crummy UI? Employee intervention required.
      • Violated some black box rule because of machine vision, too many scans that didn't make, trying and failing to do something obvious with the UI, got unlucky and the system decided it was N events and the employee needed to be handed a task? Employee intervention required.
I've generally made my peace with this new reality - any place that does grocery has generally removed the throttling and strain gauge checks.

But the growing trend of receipt checks is bothersome. I've spent considerably longer going through self-checkout than an employee checkout. All under the watchful eye of the employees minding clusters of self-checkout lanes and arrays of camera per checkstand no doubt capable of surprisingly capable machine vision. The transaction completed and ownership was exchanged; the funds are the merchants, the goods are mine. And then someone wants to stop me to ensure nothing is in arrears? This isn't a membership place like Costco or Sam's where the receipt check is part of the overarching membership agreement. I am simply not always feeling sufficiently charitable to indulge corporate paranoia.

I'm well aware of shopkeeper's privilege and the Texas statute on the matter is refreshingly brief. It's a tough argument to make that refusal to cooperate with a post-transaction receipt check constitutes reasonable suspicion of theft. And retailers walk a very fine line attempting to detain someone - even for the investigatory purposes within the statute - that doesn't wish to cooperate. Sure they can file a criminal complaint, threaten or initiate a civil suit, place your likeness on a wall of shame, issue a trespass notice, trash your name on social media ... all of which will likely prove futile and/or troublesome.

And yes I'm well aware of the escalating shoplifting problem. Making the self-checkout experience less sh_tty (i.e. addressing the pain points I enumerated above) would go a long ways towards reducing shrinkage (from self-checkout; suspect that slipping merch under articles of clothing or walking a shopping cart out the exit is the bulk if it).

Longer-term, eliminating the self-checkout altogether would broadly improve the customer experience altogether. The IBM vision I linked above is probably impractical - individual RFID tags on every item in the store is likely impractical at best. The Amazon Go process is likely too expensive and ultimately too rigid ... for now. I gather many a European grocer has perfected the process with a handheld scanner that you scan merch with as you shop; when done walk to the front of the store, pay, and then a cursory receipt check (I'd much prefer this approach over the preferred intrusive phone app approach that American retailers are leaning on).
I refuse to show a receipt especially when many times the clerk, guard, whatever they are called by the door saw me checkout. If it's not in the policy to shop there I won't show it. Usually they go Sir...Sir...Hello Sir and then they give up as I keep walking. They can call the police and waste everyones time as I have a receipt. They do this because we let them. Not me...off my soap box.

Latest posts