Self-checkout and receipt checks

SYZYGY

Enlightened
Fry's electronics was the king of the receipt check

lol. yes, that's where i cut my teeth. the first time i went to fry's was when visiting a friend in cali over 10 years ago. he was like, 'ok, just follow my lead..'

those fry's guys sure did make a show of it.

i've been skipping receipt checks ever since.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If there's an available cashier, I'll wait at her line.
And I do mean her. Don't think I've ever encountered a male cashier at any place that gives you the self-checkout option. So, yeah.... No, I'm not putting a young woman out of work who has morals. She could easily shake it at Ye Olde Gentleman's Club full of not-so-loveable scoundrels.

Or, it's an elderly woman who should have retired many years ago. But her children don't care about her. And, likely her husband died before she did. So can't count on financial support from him. She probably considers herself fortunate not to have been tossed and forgotten in some old folks home.

It's the same reason why, even though I EDC a lighter (Don't smoke, never have) I lie if a young man or woman comes up to me and asks if I have a light. Lost a good friend to Cancer. Not helping someone extremely slowly down that destination.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I admit, I had to look it up--glad I did.
The general product genre is a device with a licensed transceiver that can work largely PnP via an internet data connection without special circuit provisioning. Some are consumer-grade (ala the article you linked) and often limited to a whitelist of devices since it's a residential subscriber providing the backhaul, others are more capable things installed on commercial premises that can host more devices and are more akin to miniature cell sites.

lol. yes, that's where i cut my teeth. the first time i went to fry's was when visiting a friend in cali over 10 years ago. he was like, 'ok, just follow my lead..'

those fry's guys sure did make a show of it.
I got the likes of "Sir? Sir? Sir?" attempts but nothing more; if I shook my head as I passed the station usually nothing. Perfunctory security and nothing more.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I was at a self-checkout lane at the "red bullseye" store the other day when the terminal wanted to scan my driver's license because I had an "over 18" item in my order. Nope, not without seeing a privacy policy first. I have no idea what they might do with that information.
Probably no different than if a cashier has to scan your ID for the same item.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Probably no different than if a cashier has to scan your ID for the same item.
Ideally, yes. But it's just too easy for a merchant to request P.I.I. from you and then do whatever the hell they want with it, including using it for marketing purposes as well as selling that into to whomever wants to buy it.

elzilcho

Enlightened
Ideally, yes. But it's just too easy for a merchant to request P.I.I. from you and then do whatever the hell they want with it, including using it for marketing purposes as well as selling that into to whomever wants to buy it.
And if (when?) it's hacked, suddenly a whole bunch of groups you did NOT give your PII to will have it.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
And if (when?) it's hacked, suddenly a whole bunch of groups you did NOT give your PII to will have it.
Always pay cash, make simple transactions only (that don't demand additional information), never use loyalty programs, don't buy online, leave your phone at home, don't drive your car to the retailer, never buy anything that requires ID, don't engage customer service in any way whatsoever, hope they're not doing facial recognition on their security cameras for funsies and maybe you can remain anonymous (or at least keep PII out of their hands). But that's a lot effort to keep just one retailer in the dark when all that info is out there one way or another being traded by data brokers ... who also get hacked with regularity.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
hope they're not doing facial recognition on their security cameras

sunglasses + hat + mask probably defeats it.

one of the few good things to come of covid is that you can cover your face in public now without getting the cops called on you. lol

Monocrom

Flashaholic

one of the few good things to come of covid is that you can cover your face in public now without getting the cops called on you. lol
It was the most surreal, psychological experience the first time I walked into my local bank.... wearing a mask and baseball cap. No one around me panicked. No one was alarmed. Just walk up to the teller window, polite greeting, do what I needed to do, polite goodbye. And done. Eventually got to the point that even with the mask on, the tellers recognized me and call me by name.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
That's a lot of recreational paranoia for marginal gain. Best I can tell the ability to live anything close to anonymously* ended in the early 20th century.

*(while also still living within society)

Last edited:
Best I can tell the ability to live anything close to anonymously* ended in the early 20th century.

*(while also still living within society)
^ This. +1

Living anonymously?!
bill-paxton-game-over.gif

SYZYGY

Enlightened
and yet... it doesn't have to be like this. :)

it's a choice we collectively make every day to allow this.
i'm not holding my breath, but i keep the hope alive that we outlaw mass surveillance someday. we can't stop it, but we can at least make it illegal and occasionally hold violators accountable.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
i'm not holding my breath, but i keep the hope alive that we outlaw mass surveillance someday. we can't stop it, but we can at least make it illegal and occasionally hold violators accountable.
Changing the laws, financial incentives, norms will take time but will do more than dodging cameras, wearing clever patterns that might defeat this week's machine vision algo, putting our phones in RF shielding bags, paying with banknotes.