Self defence flashlight for my wife

grifter182

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Looking to buy my wife a flashlight for self defence that she can carry in her handbag. (Being in Australia, this is pretty much all we can get away with carrying.)

I hear there are ones that have an almost "blinding" setting to startle possible attackers.

Price doesn't matter.

Size should be something that easily fits into a handbag without adding a HEAP of weight.

Thank you all, really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
"We" tend to like doo-dads such as strike bezels and the like but to actually intend for a flashlight as a true defensive weapon is probably a little fool hardy. There has to be other non- or less-lethal options that are legal?

FWIW, my state, Michigan has fairly reasonable firearms laws including very accessible concealed carry options but the statutes still include a provision against "dangerous weapons" which includes various items like batons and brass knuckles- pretty sure it would include a flashlight with a nasty strike bezel if it were to be used.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a key chain size OC spray if it is available and legal. Unless a woman/person is capable of physical self defense I would not want her to have to be that close. A bright light in conjunction with OC spray is viable.

I knew of a nurse who used a stun gun to fight off an attacker, and he fell to the ground and was apprehended the hospital security folks.
The size and strength of a woman places her at a great disadvantage if attacked, under normal conditions.

Jerry

grifter182

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.

By self defence, I mean a light that will always be ready to light up a dark street quickly. Being reliable, weather proof and easy to use. One that won't fail when forgotten in the bottom of a handbag.

A bonus option would be one with a "blinding" feature, if that's such an option.

Thank you!

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non rechargable CR123 batteries, instead of rechargables, are the ones you want if u want a light that can spend 2 years in a handbag or glove box and still be relied on to work

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD35
This light has saved me on two occasions by dogs attack, I think it may also be valid for bad people

(Translate with Google)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
just sharing my brainfart... grifter182, read your OP thread title and immediately thought "you don't need a flashlight, you need a fast car and faster divorce attorney."

Have you tried chocolate? flowers? jewelry? ok... that's quite enough. Sorry for jumping to conclusions (to be clear, I stupidly thought YOU needed the protection).
---
Attempt to help: not a light, but I recently gifted an ASP Key Defender system. Looks not unlike a keychain flashlight, but it is pepper spray.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 500 lumen E2D LED Defender Ultra would probably work pretty well. The TIR Optic focuses the photons really well, and the output is definitely impressive considering the size of the light.

It's got a dual mode clicky tailcap, and the first click from off delivers high. Turning the light off then back on again (either momentary of constant) changes it to a 5 lumen low. Reviews have shown that it only delivers the full output for a short while before it reduces the output to keep the light from overheating, but I've never been able to detect this reduction in actual use.

The spill light is quite a bit brighter than offered by the E2D LED and LX2, and makes the light very useful on low for close range duties, like finding dropped keys, without unnecessary brightness.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would advocate for a single stage output given what your asking, as well as a simple lock out device to keep it form draining. I would look towards the Surefire G2L/6PL and G2X/6PX lights.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is definitely possible to accidentally activate the low mode of the E2D when high was wanted. I almost made the suggestion for a single mode KE2-A head on an E2D body to eliminate low mode, but that's not an inexpensive option. The single mode lights Buck mentioned are friendlier to your wallet, if not to hers.

Size is one of the E-Series best features in case her handbag is on the small end of the scale.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I would advocate for a single stage output given what your asking, as well as a simple lock out device to keep it form draining. I would look towards the Surefire G2L/6PL and G2X/6PX lights.

I second that motion...decent intensity to identify and assess...decent regulated runtimes, ease of single mode access in panic situations. If she needs something with extended runtime for non EM situations, a small keychain light should suffice. I recently integrated a dereelight shorty into my edc rotation for these situations...1 mode p60 about 160 lumens at 8kcd for 1 hr, plenty of throw, brightness, and runtime. It is supplemented by an E2LAA outdoorsman for general non EM use as well as a complementary Olight M18 Striker for a stupid amount of floody lumen tacticool shock and awe with more decent runtimes.

Ymmv...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The general belief is that the new X-series lack of body knurling and head design are cheaper to manufacture than the older P and E series lights. Their availability in stores like Wal-Mart makes it seem that Surefire is counting on increased sales to bring in more money, vs higher prices per individual light. The Nitrolon lights have always been less expensive than the aluminum bodied light, again likely due to the production costs.

Another option is a single mode Malkoff E2/Scout head on a Surefire E-Series compatible body. This is quite a bit smaller than a 6PX, with the same output.

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
EagleTac T25C2 has lots of power, tailcap can be programmed for instant Strobe . Stainless steel bezel. Keep the head tightened and the light will always be in high mode.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its not too large, the T25C2 should be a good choice. EagleTacs have a good reputation, and the UI is quite flexible.

A P20C2 MKII may be worth investigating as well.

tandem

Enlightened
T25C2 is a pretty big light - look at it in Selfbuilt's hand in his review. My petite wife prefers 1xAA format herself in her bags.

I would never put a 2xCR123A light into my wife's purse; I might consider a 1x18650 light but not a high output possibly melt-the-purse or cosmetics at least type light.

2xCR123A implies keeping a close eye on the cells that go into the light. 1x18650 implies engaging your wife in lithium-ion cell charging. Are either of these compatible with your wife's agenda?

My wife has a small 1xAA 200 lumen output (on max, a Zebralight) light powered by an Eneloop in her purse / bike bag. It won't set her purse on fire even if it does get triggered, but yes, she knows to lock it out. It's far more likely she'll need it to cope with a power outage than fend off an attacker.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember, if asked, the light is for changing flat tyres and whatnot. It's illegal in Australia to carry anything for the explicit purpose of self defence :)