N10

Newly Enlightened
Re: Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flaslightreviews.ca

very nice...very neat!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks again everyone.

As promised,I am continuing to update the pages. In particular, I've added a few more questions to my FAQ page: http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/support.html

Right now, this is still providing more of an overview of my testing philosophy (as I do get many questions about this). The testing methodology page (http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/method.htm) is a good entry point for more details on what I do and why. Still plan to develop more content there, but it will take time.

Cheers. :wave:

TweakMDS

Enlightened

Oulala! I'm joining in on the very well deserved mass praise here. The new site looks absolutely great!
Besides that: Thanks for all your hard work, and providing us with an independant and trustworthy source of both technical info as well as quality review. Other areas of electronics would only be so lucky in having a source of information like this.

*hands award*

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Hi all,

I've just updated my site with a new page: Flashlight Recommendations

The goal here isn't to supply specific recommendations, but to give you a range of good options to consider in each battery class, from among my recent reviews. I know the sheer volume of reviews can daunting for newcomers, so I thought it would be easier to provide some good entry points to decent lights this way. I plan to keep it regularly updated. :)

P.S.: I had to update the CSS to get everything to fit on the header and footer bars, so if anything looks wonky in your browser, just hit your page refresh. If that doesn't sort it out, let me know - I've tried it on several platforms, and everything is displaying fine.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

As promised, I am continuing to update background material on my www.flashlightreviews.ca site. :)

In this case, some discussion in one of my review threads got me thinking of explaining the use of a cooling fan in my runtime testing. You will see a discussion of it on my Testing Methodology page, right after the Runtimes Explained section (direct link).

I am also continuing to update the Recommendations page, as new reviews come out. ;)

naiter

Newly Enlightened

I love the "Some suggestions to consider, as of December 2012:" section. Wonder if it was there before? I was on your site before, but don't remember seeing it.

Your reviews have helped all of us save soo much money. Every time I get a new light I know exactly what I am getting. Thank you!!

naiter

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt,
I love your summary / comparison tables. I can get a good idea of the beam from the lumens to lux ratings. And having multiple lights summaries side by side helps too. But sometimes there is a light near its class that wasn't added, or you reviewed one after you reviewed the light I'm looking at. It'd be nice to have a huge summary table with every light you've reviewed on it. Maybe even a filter feature to narrow down a few specifics? I know I'm asking even more from something already great, sorry... But I do find myself going back and forth from one review to another sometimes specifically to look at these summary/comparison stats.

Thanks,
--naiter

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I love the "Some suggestions to consider, as of December 2012:" section. Wonder if it was there before? I was on your site before, but don't remember seeing it.
No, it's a new section as of earlier this month. :)

It'd be nice to have a huge summary table with every light you've reviewed on it. Maybe even a filter feature to narrow down a few specifics? I know I'm asking even more from something already great, sorry... But I do find myself going back and forth from one review to another sometimes specifically to look at these summary/comparison stats.
I agree, it would be very useful to have the master table lists consolidated on the web, in a filterable way. But there's some technical (and programming) challenges to be able to implement it. Not least of which is the updated lightmeter used for the recent tables (I didn't go back and re-test all the old lights, for example). I'll give it some thought ...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just updated my ANSI FL-1 standard page with some explanation of water resistance levels (scroll down toward the end of the page).

This is based on some discussion in one of my recent threads - I thought I would explain how the ANSI FL-1 standard pass levels are more specific (and stringent) than the IPX rating levels they are based on. :wave:

tonky

Newly Enlightened
an RSS feed for the reviews would be great :)

thank you for your work, i'm byuing flashlights almost exclusively based on your excellent reviews!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
an RSS feed for the reviews would be great :)
Thanks, that's a good idea, I'll look into it.

As an interim solution, I notice a lot of people have subscribed to my video channel at YouTube. That way people get an e-mail notficiation when a video goes public (which happens simulatenously to the review being posted here, each cross-linked).

Oh, and :welcome:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
By the way, you should really make backups from all your reviews. Forum crashes HAVE happened, and it would be a shame for stuff to get lost.

In an other forum I frequent they lost 8 months of post at one time, and it is a real gap in history there, as every review/discussion of stuff from most of 2006 simply is gone forever...

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do we know what's in the working, what's the next upcoming review?
You wouldnt tell, would ya?
We luv to be teased ;)

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
By the way, you should really make backups from all your reviews. Forum crashes HAVE happened, and it would be a shame for stuff to get lost.
In an other forum I frequent they lost 8 months of post at one time, and it is a real gap in history there, as every review/discussion of stuff from most of 2006 simply is gone forever...
Not to worry, I do keep multiple backups of all my reviews. I just haven't posted them anywhere else.

Server outages have happened here too, with several months lost once. If we suffer another forum outage, I can easily repost any missing reviews once the system comes back up (and hopefully restore as much as possible of the discussion threads from search engine caches, as we did last time).

It terms of an off-line backup for when CPF is down, that's a bit more work (e.g., on my own site). I kept it up for ahwile, but haven't bothered lately. The problem is that I have to convert all my BBCode reviews to HTML, review and fix all formatting glitches, insert them into a template for my site, update all internal and external links (including links to full review threads), then incorporate the backups into my site. It's a bit of work, when I prefer people follow the reviews here - since they can easily post in the thread, which greatly expands the value of the reviews.

If I get some downtime, I'll see about posting backups on my review site ... I need to work on the templates first, and automate as much of the process as I can (including revising the old backups).

How do we know what's in the working, what's the next upcoming review?
You wouldnt tell, would ya?
We luv to be teased ;)
Sorry, don't plan to do that in any formal way. I tend to get a lot of e-mails and PMs when people know I am working on a review, asking how well a light throws, or what output is on some specific battery or level, etc., etc. The time spend dealing with all those one-off requests tends to distract from actually completing the reviews. Also, issues can crop up during testing, inducing delays while discussing with the manufacturer, or waiting for revised samples to get shipped, etc. Again, I don't want to have to try and explain the status of everything all the time, especially when I am still in the middle of sorting it all out.

Thanks for the support everyone! :grouphug:

Dubois

Enlightened
Very handy reference - I'm surprised that this thread isn't stickied.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Very handy reference - I'm surprised that this thread isn't stickied.
That's a good idea. Thanks to the mods for "stickifying" it for me.

Hopefully this thread will continue to serve as a way for people to suggest additional features and functionality for the flashlightreviews.ca site. I'll also keep you updated of any significant new additions. :wave: