Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews: the new and improved flashlightreviews.ca

Nvincible

Newly Enlightened
Great reviews. Been checking out your site and videos. I appreciate you!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've recently decided to branch out with a new review site: WhiskyAnalysis.com

(or, for those you who prefer the American/Irish spelling: WhiskeyAnalysis.com) ;)

The goal of this new site is to help you make sense of whisky flavours and quality, to aid you in selecting ones you may be interested in trying – based on your personal preferences. This site aims to provide an extensive comparative assessment of whiskies, based on a proper scientific meta-analysis of descriptions and scores given by whisky reviewers with extensive experience

Please see my launch thread in the Cafe for more information: Selfbuilt's WhiskyAnalysis.com

:wave:

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
Hi selfbuilt.Wanted to say I love the reviews you do,and have watched quite a few over the last couple of days.The report on the M2X UT actually swayed me to purchasing.Here in Australia,the price was excellent,$129.95 which was a factor in me deciding on this light,as the quality and performance of comparable output makes others a little more expensive,to say the least.

Thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The report on the M2X UT actually swayed me to purchasing.Here in Australia,the price was excellent,$129.95 which was a factor in me deciding on this light,as the quality and performance of comparable output makes others a little more expensive,to say the least.
Thanks, let us know how you find it. There were some comments in that thread that later versions didn't have the dedomed emitter, so please post in the thread to share your experience when you get it. I am currently testing the new M3XS-UT, and its XP-L emitter is a factory dedome.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I live in Australia and i bought the M2X Javalot a while ago, Really wish it had an X-PL Emitter though
:welcome:

Well, it shouldn't make much of difference dedomed, since the XP-L die size is pretty much the same as XM-L2 (although it is boosted a bit for max lumen output). FYI, I'm currently testing the M3XS Javelot, and it is using a dedomed XP-L - will report comparisons in that review when ready.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, looking forward to that review.
+1
I've the light already,
to see your findings on it though would be top drawer!

Not Hot

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I have done a full revamp of my flashlight review listing site, www.flashlightreviews.ca. :party:

You will still find full lists of all my CPF reviews on the site, but in a much more clearly organized fashion. There is also a lot of new background content, especially under the FAQ and Methods tabs (which have similarly been re-organized for clarity).

I've also started putting a prominent link right on the main page for my most recent review.

One interesting new feature is the custom Google search (top right-hand corner), which searches CPF specifically. I've customized the search result placement box on my site, so it all comes up at the top of the main page box for each given page. To close the search result box, just hit the "x" beside the search input field at the top right-hand corner of the page.

Let me know what you think of the new site! :wave:

UPDATE: I am continuing to add new features and functionality to the site, in response to suggestions that I am receiving here. Scroll down the thread to see some of the recent updates.

Not Hot

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I was originally drawn to this site by the technical yet friendly atmosphere. I had zero experience with real flashlights - more a torch and pitchfork type of guy.

The thoughtful comments and product reviews have lured and hooked me into a new hobby.
Not to diminish any other reviewers, but your's in particular helped me understand how little I know and how far this field extends.

I have purchased two lights based on your recommendations and look forward to your next analysis.

Thanks very much,

Michael

recDNA

Flashaholic
Do you ever have time to go to the movies or some other fun activity besides work and reviews?

Thanks! I'd be in the tall grass without your reviews.

Saddlerman

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great review Selfbuilt

I have been reading a kot of your reviews and it really helps a lot when choosing a light and making decisions as it can be quite overwhelming when looking at all the different choices

LarryB

Enlightened
I've tried to see if you've given an explanation somewhere, but can't find it, so if you have I apologize in advance for bothering you, but I'm curious--I find that you have measured lights that you don't review. For instance in your Thrunite TN4A review you compare the flashlight against the Fenix E41 among others, but I can't find an E41 review anywhere. Are you actually obtaining the light, measuring it but not reviewing it? If so, could you do a micro (much smaller than your mini) review and at least give your impressions? :)

Woops--discovered your 4AA group test--I suspect that the E41 was very atypical, as it looks like it was the only one that wasn't fully reviewed. Is that because you're just not particularly impressed with Fenix?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi all,
I know I haven't been around for a long time - sorry for not stopping by earlier to give y'all an update. :oops:

My work life got pretty crazy last year, when I was asked to take on a whole new bunch of responsibilities (and travel) - basically, doing the work of an extra 1.5 individuals on top of all my old responsibilities. Unfortunately, this will likely get even worse in the short-term as we loose even more people (and then I will need to train some new folks to help take some of the load off). Between that and my whisky reviewing hobby (http://whiskyanalysis.com/), I have had NO time to even test any of the flashlights I have on hand.

I feel bad about this situation, since I had more than a dozen lights in various stages of testing before the end of last year. I have since informed all the makers who have asked that I am no longer taking lights for the foreseeable future. I do hope to post at least a cursory analysis of the lights on hand, but not sure when I will find the time. :sigh:

I appreciate all the well wishes, and will try to check in a bit more frequently. :wave:

Last edited:

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update as I know all look forward to your review work. Best wishes.

[emoji106]🏻[emoji41]