selling a home?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They used to make a pill for that but 'growth mindset' caused it to be considered something else.... sometimes. So doubt set in and big pharma decided to call it something else.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
This poster quote was in my school's PT coaching office. It's a play on words from a well known poet Carl Sandburg "To be a good loser is to learn how to win" and Vince's rendition...
Screenshot_20220724-121358.png

Poppy

Flashaholic
A man was sitting next to the town well when a stranger approached. The stranger asked the man - "What kind of people live here?" The man replied - "What were the people like in the town you left?" "They were judgmental and not very friendly, the stranger replied. The man sitting by the well answered - "Unfortunately, you are likely to encounter the same type of people here."

Sometime later a second stranger approached the man sitting by the town well. He asked the man the same question - "What kind of people should I expect to meet in this new town?" The man replied - "What were the people like in the town you left?" The stranger answered - "They were friendly, welcoming, and accepting." The man sitting at the well responded - "You have fortunately come upon a town with the same type of people."

The moral of the story - No matter where you go, there you are.
Chance,
Thank You for that story. I love it!

A few years ago, there was a man who came to our office fairly regularly. He was always happy, and smiling. I mentioned to him, that it makes me happy to see you always so happy and smiling. How do you do it?

He said, "When I get up in the morning, I choose to be happy."

I thought... Interesting. I then went on to comment that I want to see my father, about 1 1/2 hours away, but I hate driving on the "Garden State Parkway" especially during weekends during the Summer when there is a lot of "shore traffic". He said, that I used to commute into NYC, and driving like a stressed maniac, weaving in traffic, or driving like an old man, not being stressed at all, only made the difference in time of a few minutes.

So now, although I drive a sports car, I drive like an old man. I listen to my music. Sometimes when I get to work, and park the car, I sit and listen to the end of the song. When do you get a chance to just sit and listen to your music for an hour or two?

That weekend I drove down to see my Dad. About an hour and 30-45 minutes. IDK, I didn't pay attention. I sang with the music all the way. :)

Yesterday, I met my siblings at my Dad's house for his Birthday number 94!

I got there a little later than them, and they all complained about the traffic. I think I hit less traffic than they, IDK, but I did hit a few 10 minute periods where I was on the brake more than the throttle. But I was driving with two hands on the wheel, singing along, and conducting the orchestra with my index fingers.

I wondered if the people in the cars around me, were saying "look at that crazy a$$, he is enjoying being stuck in traffic!"

Twice I saw near collisions where, in three lanes of traffic, a car in the left lane decided to abruptly go to the center lane to pass the car in front of him, and the car in the right lane decided to go to the center lane to pass the car in front of him. A delay because of that would have been upsetting. People are stupid. To take a chance on causing a crash to get 30 feet ahead, IDK I have difficulty to put that mindset into words.

Chance,
Thank You for that story. I love it!

You're certainly welcome, Poppy

Yesterday, I met my siblings at my Dad's house for his Birthday number 94! I got there a little later than them, and they all complained about the traffic. I think I hit less traffic than they, IDK, but I did hit a few 10 minute periods where I was on the brake more than the throttle. But I was driving with two hands on the wheel, singing along, and conducting the orchestra with my index fingers.

I love your story, too. Nothing changed except your attitude. Words of wisdom - Relax, you'll live longer.

I was a selfemployed delivery driver for the better part of three decades. On the gas from 8am to 6pm. Go go go - run run run! I now enjoy leaving early, arriving early, and driving like an old man.

I have long been of the opinion that selling your own home - acting as the sales agent - was one of the most foolish endeavors one could undertake.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im thinking of van life i see a toyota mini van that gets 35 mpg city and highway

jtr1962

Flashaholic
A man was sitting next to the town well when a stranger approached. The stranger asked the man - "What kind of people live here?" The man replied - "What were the people like in the town you left?" "They were judgmental and not very friendly, the stranger replied. The man sitting by the well answered - "Unfortunately, you are likely to encounter the same type of people here."

Sometime later a second stranger approached the man sitting by the town well. He asked the man the same question - "What kind of people should I expect to meet in this new town?" The man replied - "What were the people like in the town you left?" The stranger answered - "They were friendly, welcoming, and accepting." The man sitting at the well responded - "You have fortunately come upon a town with the same type of people."

The moral of the story - No matter where you go, there you are.
For some reason this story reminded me of a saying I once heard: "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I got there a little later than them, and they all complained about the traffic. I think I hit less traffic than they, IDK, but I did hit a few 10 minute periods where I was on the brake more than the throttle. But I was driving with two hands on the wheel, singing along, and conducting the orchestra with my index fingers.
My take on this is a little different. I can't speak from the perspective of a driver in heavy traffic since I've never had a driver's license. However, I can tell you that as a passenger it's stressful to me on multiple levels. The fumes, constant changes in speed, and constant noise from all the horns conspires to make me feel nauseous within minutes. I never liked car travel much to start with, but I'll avoid it at all costs if there's any chance at all of hitting heavy traffic. Most of my relatives unfortunately moved to places which could only easily be reached by car when I was a kid. During holidays they never came to us. We always had to go to them. As soon as I was old enough to stay home alone I did exactly that for many family get togethers. Remember these always seemed to be on days when you were practically guaranteed heavy traffic, although traffic in the NY Metro area can be a crap shoot at any time of day.

Give me a train any day, even if it takes longer. However, in the NY area train can often be as fast or faster than driving. The subway to Manhattan from me almost always is, except at maybe 3AM. I used to love taking NJ Transit and Amtrak to college. The NJT "locals" got over 100 mph in spots. Amtrak would top out at 125 to 130 mph. The NEC is still the closest thing in the country to high-speed rail. I wish we had a system rivaling Europe or Japan. I'd definitely want to travel a lot more if we did.

The only car trip I used to enjoy was going upstate with my brother to my grandmother and aunt in Rome, NY. We would typically do the trip either way after midnight. 270 miles. Lots of times it didn't take much over 3 hours. The record was 2:51 IIRC. The speeds felt "normal" to me given how my college years calibrated me to "NEC speed".

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with those who recommend listing with a reputable real estate agent. There is simply too much at stake, and too much that could go wrong, to do otherwise.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us talk about attitude being so important but you know what? Some enclaves are not good for some people, and raggie might be somewhere that is not a fit for him. Like that famous person from ~2000 years ago said; shake the dust off your feet when you leave that place.

Get an agent who has the experience to do it right the first time.

Some of us talk about attitude being so important but you know what? Some enclaves are not good for some people, and raggie might be somewhere that is not a fit for him. Like that famous person from ~2000 years ago said; shake the dust off your feet when you leave that place.

Get an agent who has the experience to do it right the first time.

Perhaps some of us think raggie should ask himself some important questions before undertaking one of mankind's most stressful endeavors.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Perhaps some of us think raggie should ask himself some important questions before undertaking one of mankind's most stressful endeavors.
I last moved in 1978, back when I had far less "stuff" than now. As far as I'm concerned, my next move will be when they carry me out feet first. Yes, moving is one of the most stressful things you can do. People often move for (in my opinion) all the wrong reasons. Top of my list is moving just for lower taxes. Federal income and FICA taxes by far constitute the bulk of taxes most people pay. To move just to save maybe 5% or 7% in state taxes? Doesn't make much sense unless you're also moving for other reasons. Moving for a job? No way. Companies haven't been loyal to workers. Can't see turning your life upside down by moving to a new job, and then they might lay you off a year later. Moving to get away from your neighbors, or perhaps to be with those closer to you politically? Horrible idea. You can just avoid unpleasant neighbors. And I personally think being around people with different backgrounds, not all of which you agree with, makes you a more tolerant person. For example, I noticed lots of Trump support in these forums. I personally can't stand the man, hope he ends up in prison with his three oldest children, and don't much care for how he ruined the Republican party (which I used to vote for most of the time). But I'm not letting that difference in politics keep me from discussing things of common interest here. In the end I'll probably agree with most people on 90% of things. It's the emphasis on (often small) differences which has caused most of the strife in human history. Echo chambers are never a good idea. Better to mix even with those you don't see eye-to-eye with. It makes compromise more likely.

Good reasons to move? Not many in my opinion but upgrading your abode is one. We moved from a small apartment in a NYC housing project to a detached single family home in eastern Queens. Worth the move. Unless I could magically afford something better I'm staying put. Another reason (applicable to raggie) might be climate. He hates hot weather, as do I. I would never move someone warmer but if for some reason I found myself in such a place I'd endeavor to leave ASAP. A third reason might be having a preference for either a city or the country, but currently being in the opposite of where you prefer. In my case, I knew what I preferred as a teenage, so I never would have lived outside a city, or in a hotter place, to start with.

I might one day head north to Canada if things really got bad here, but they would have to get pretty bad for me to consider such a move.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like how did I get to the point where I have to sell my flashlights to pay for food, downsize to a scooter to afford to drive, and have to sell my home? Where there any choices I could have made to prevent this?

Raggie, not trying to kick you while you're down. That is not my intention. Major life changes should be a time of reflection on your choices. I know a lot of people who vote one way that causes taxes to go up and crime to go up. They move somewhere cheaper when they can't afford to live there anymore and proceed to vote the same way. They end up having to move over and over again because they never learn. In the process, they ruin every place they leave behind. Please don't be like those people.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Don't feel bad. It's the same almost everywhere. NYC just endured a week of 90+ highs. This week is "cooling off". That's relative because we're still talking mid to upper 80s. In addition, the humidity has been horrible, as usual. I wish we could just go from late spring to early fall, and skip summer.

At least you're cooling off at night. This past week the lows were around 80.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
omg its so hot here ive had heat sickness a few times where i thought i may die. but it was part me being a idiot i knew i needed drinks on my walk but would not pay 2 bucks for a pop . yes i know im stupid lol