Sheriff Deputy searching for a patrol duty light

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I work out in the county lots country hills trees 1000 square miles in east Texas area, I get calls a lot that lead out into the woods and of course houses barns pastures ect, my desire is a duty size light with a long throw sharp beam , some spill but very bright blinding throw for long distance, it can have a charger or use a 18650 battery or batteries, also I'd like to have the beveled rough edges for self defense max price range $300.00 1000 plus luma.

What are your lines of sight? IE: "Country Hills Trees" can mean that the farthest line of sight might be blocked by rolling hills or tree lines, etc....so, you cover ~ 1,000 square miles, but we can safely assume you can't see all 1,000 from any one point in your patrol, etc. :D

So, what's the FARTHEST line of sight from where you patrol, to where you'd need to be able to see to?

Also, it sounds like you are potentially looking for people who don't want to be found.....so, they might not be dressed in white, and in fact, might have the foresight to dress in clothing that would not give them away as easily. At longer ranges, the ANSI spec 0.25 lux on a target is 100% worthless under these conditions.

Typically, at long ranges, you need a minimum of 1 lux on your target to see that something is there at all, and 5 - 15 lux to tell a man with fire wood from a man with fire arms, etc. A man, prone, in dark clothing, may be invisible at 200+ meters with less than ~ 15 lux.

So, for perspective, if you need to see a prone man in dark clothing at 200 meters, you need a light that can put ~ 15 lux or more on him at that range.

A light's ADVERTISED/CLAIMED range is in terms of how far away it can put 0.25 lux on the target...not 1 lux, or 15 lux.

SO if a light CLAIMS a 1,000 foot range (~ 333 yards/305 meters) it means it can put 0.25 lux at 305 meters, which works out to only ~ 23,250 cd (~ 23.2 k cd).

At 200 meters, that throw works out to ~ 0.58 lux, and your guy is still totally invisible, even if he's standing up.

The TK75 puts out ~ 119,500 cd, so that would put ~ 3 lux on your guy 200 m away....if prone, he's invisible, if standing, you could tell he's there, but,, not much else.

The TK75 modified by Vinh (His killer throw version for example) is rated at ~ 300,000 cd, which would put ~ 7.5 lux on the guy 200 m away....still not enough for a prone guy in dark (Low contrast) clothing.

The TK61vn on the other hand is rated at closer to 740,000 cd, and would put ~ 18.5 lux on the guy at 200 meters, enough to probably spot the prone in low contrast, etc.

As for durability, as Vinh upgrades the light's components, including heat sinking, thicker wires, better soldering, reinforcements to switches, etc, his modified lights are more durable than the stock versions that they are based upon.

As for the size of the light, if you really only want a single 18650 sized light, the BEST throw you can get in that size is ~ 240,000 cd, with Vinh's SLUT, and close to that with even tighter beams if an aspheric beam is OK (Its a square beam shape, like a slide projector image of the LED itself).

For a stock light the limit is about 40,000 cd, for an Armytek Predator with XPG2 LED Runs on one 18650).

So, if I knew what you needed to see, at what range(s) it would help to tailor a good recommendation, but, the above should give some perspective at least to start the process.

:D

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
cullen.salisbury,

This is a family oriented forum, and as such foul language isn't allowed. If you want to use such language, take it to the underground, please! Also, please re-read CPF Rules and FAQs with emphasis on Rule 4.

Your expertise and experience and advice are welcome here, and you do not need to follow any rules of grammar or punctuation. No worries there! But other members are free to offer different advice and different experience and that advice and experience may be at odds with or even contrary to, yours. This does not mean they are being rude or are attacking you. We can all disagree over such things in a civil manner.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
So you are just hear to argue get a life very negative and on top of it you are trying to pick a fight yeah tomahawk some one lol how old are you and do you have any reason but being here I think not you are rude and you are causing problems hmmmmm I think some one needs to get a life rude rude you went out of your way to be rude good job then you say a hound dog modded to right so he can't get a dollar back if something went wrong and lasers on it and a net to catch people you need to leave this sight your rude your not even after trying to help him your just hear to talk smack wow you must have a pathetic life really pathetic

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

The Hound Dog doesn't need modding.

I don't understand the rest of your post. Maybe try writing in English next time.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix makes a nice light. The TK75 is a very nice light, but not for a law enforcement officer. It is not geared toward law enforcement specific purposes. I would place another vote for the Malkoff 2x18650 MD4 with the Hound Dog head. In law enforcement, you want to keep things simple. Training is also a very key component in this. I have 24 years of experience in the field. Malkoff or Surefire would make a great choice. But for the OP's requests in a light, I personally would go with the Malkoff.
Speaking of warranty service, it does not get any better than Malkoff. Made in the USA, and a family oriented business. Top notch customer service and products that match!

Norm

Retired Administrator
cullen.salisbury,

This is a family oriented forum, and as such foul language isn't allowed. If you want to use such language, take it to the underground, please! Also, please re-read CPF Rules and FAQs with emphasis on Rule 4.

The offending posts have been removed - Norm

Drizden

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the replies. I enjoyed the read and flashlight options, the landscape I have to cover at any given time changes from lots of brush , pine trees to open pasture to rolling hills , and most of the time the bad guy doesn't dress to hide, it's usually meth monkeys pill poppers, guys who beat there wives or girlfriends and take off running out in the woods when they see us pull up, so a lot of the time they are wearing T-shirts, wife beaters or no shirts at all, this is trash we deal with most of the time, not to many high tec criminals. Thx again for the posts guys and gals. Min 300 meters 800 meters max range

Also the rough edge bezal isn't an issue in court , because of I have my light in one hand and my report pad in another and a suspect tries to pull a knife or a gun and I don't have time to get my gun then my flashlight is my first line of defense.

Last edited:

Drizden

Newly Enlightened
I took photos of the landscape I work in but for some reason I can't attach them to the posts

ven

Flashaholic
Only light i have experience with and i think would suit requirements ,TEEJ mentioned the tk61vn. Now its a large light(not heavy) and requires 4x 18650 cells,this allows for longer run times so pros/cons i guess. It does have a shoulder strap for easy carry and keeping hands free, crenelated bezel too(a 96mm one............ouch) :laughing:

I am going to throw in the olight sr52vn............why? well its smaller,convenient to hold,has a holster,the vn has around 255kcd which is very very good for its size. Eats 3x18650 button tops(some later may eat flat top) Has a USB charge option so convenient when out and about. Simple UI,press/hold to go through modes.............i love it.

de-domed for 2- 3x throw along with current boost and other tweaks. As said by others vinhs work is awesome,backed up fully,no 6 week send to China and another wait for return,components improved for the better...........oh did anyone say he is a true gent and a pleasure to deal with:D

Next to the srminiVN which makes a great flood back up of 3500lm if need to light everything up in front

Both the tk75vn and tk61vn are large lights,so may get tiresome carrying for long periods........just a thought and enjoy the search:twothumbs

Last edited:

Drizden

Newly Enlightened
I dont have a link, all I did was take pics with my iphone today to show you guy's

Drizden

Newly Enlightened
There is a light I am very interested in , it's the sx25L2 vn , that's the style I'd like as far as grip goes , the head of the light can be big or medium, also the thrunite catapult V5

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thank you all for the replies. I enjoyed the read and flashlight options, the landscape I have to cover at any given time changes from lots of brush , pine trees to open pasture to rolling hills , and most of the time the bad guy doesn't dress to hide, it's usually meth monkeys pill poppers, guys who beat there wives or girlfriends and take off running out in the woods when they see us pull up, so a lot of the time they are wearing T-shirts, wife beaters or no shirts at all, this is trash we deal with most of the time, not to many high tec criminals. Thx again for the posts guys and gals. Min 300 meters 800 meters max range

Also the rough edge bezal isn't an issue in court , because of I have my light in one hand and my report pad in another and a suspect tries to pull a knife or a gun and I don't have time to get my gun then my flashlight is my first line of defense.

800 meters is pretty far....but a tee shirt is at least easier to see than shirtless.

If they are standing/running for it...you might be OK with 1 - 5 lux on them at that range.

To GET 1 lux on someone 800 m away, you'd need a light rated at ~ 650,000 cd.

At 300 m, it would take ~ 90,000 cd, a lot less.

There are only a few lights in the size range you mentioned (Slim barrel) that have throws that are 90 k cd or more (~ All Vinh modded). The fatter barreled lights (That can fit enough 18650 cells to power these beasts) can reach the ~ 650 k cd rating (As Ven and I recommended above), but not the slim barreled ones.

If OK with closer to the 300 M range (You just need to get closer if they are 800 M away...), you can use a smaller barreled (but longer) light than the fat barreled (Coke Can-ish) lights.

The other lights then to consider are the SLUT (~ 240 k cd), the SC200C2vn (~ 137 k cd) and the 47 X10vn (~ 100 k cd).

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to drop a thought in. Make sure you take in to consideration batteries to power whatever you decide to go with. Get quality cells!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And some spares for the spares! BTW< I varmint hunt in Juno with a TK75 with the extension kit. It is a beast factory. If I had known then what I know now, it would ONLY BE the TK75vn! Enjoy

Drizden

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the reply, any suggestions on a vin model that is the same type of size as the streamlight stinger or sx25L2 that has lots of throw?

CounterAttack

Newly Enlightened
I use a Klarus XT-11 as my duty light. Has dual tail switches one with instant strobe which I like to blind assailants if necessary (good to have that option). I think a Olight M22 would be excellent too. Not to big with a lot of lumens with a lot of throw, I would eventually buy an Olight M22.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Malkoff Hound Dog... and they are on sale now too, $99. FYI.