Shock & dismay at L2P "goitre"

glire

Enlightened
wow, thanks CEJ.
Where can be found such tool with those two hard pins? It's less common than a screwdriver or allen key.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
chesterqw said:
air can be compressed remember?

cgesterqw : I don't understand your reply...............

I don't mind if compressed air got in......but what would compress it.

I still just dont get it .

And Somi__Nex :

If you could find a way to weaken an O-ring , I'm quite sure it would break in that spot in short order under use.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what was being stated is that if the pressure of the surrounding water exceeded the internal air pressure, you could get water inside no matter what the size of the hole.

I guess... :thinking: :p

-DF

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
DFiorentino said:
I think what was being stated is that if the pressure of the surrounding water exceeded the internal air pressure, you could get water inside no matter what the size of the hole.

I guess... :thinking: :p

-DF

I see..........yes........but I don't think there is enough pressure only a few inches under water to do that. My suggestion was for water resistance but not water proof. Yes....if taken very far under water I agree it would matter and water would be forced in . . I'm just thinking of rain storms and water puddles.

Last edited:

fenix_fan

Newly Enlightened
Fenix quality triumphs...

After the dramatic experience of my L2P's rubber boot
blowing up to twenty times the size (due to escaping
gases from the depleting batteries) while I innocently
slept, I am pleased to report that the rubber boot has
settled back to normal size, allowing the flashlight to
be placed in candle mode once again.

Compelling testimony to the quality of the Fenix.

I shall make a small hole in the rubber boot; maybe
switch to Alkalines when I go into sleep mode, or
better still, get myself a L1P !

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix_fan said:
I
I turned the flashlight off and the balloon subsided,

:thinking: Does this mean that the Fenix is better sealed when the light is on than when it is off? If so, A L2P sitting alone with leaking cells inside of it shouldn't build up any pressure right?

Actually, I'm thoroughly impressed by the waterproofness of the L2P. :thumbsup: @ Fenix (and 4sevens for offering replacement caps)

atm

Enlightened
On or off shouldn't make any difference, the ring holding the boot against the body creates the seal and this isn't affected by any difference in switch height (if there is any difference in height between on and off it's tiny anyway).

I'd imagine the reason the 'ballon' went down was that no new gas was being produced when the circuit was broken, so the slow leak rate of the gas was able to catch up and equalise the pressure.

Andrew

nrk

Newly Enlightened
Wow!, I love this forum -- this clears up a real double mystery I was having with my L2P. I had the exact problem described by fenix_fan, though not quite as dramatically. While playing with my L2P the boot started swelling past the point where I could tail stand it. I opened the tail and the boot returned to normal. This cycle of swelling and collapsing on opening was repeated several times. At the time I didn't understand why this was happening or even why opening the tail fixed it.

What I also did not realize, but found out later, was that one of my Nimh Energizer 2500s had died. When I tried to charge the batteries one wouldn't register in my charger.

Double mystery solved. Thanks guys.

;-nrk

Last edited:

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
You know, just a thought, but wouldn't a less permantent solution be to just remove the o-ring when you don't absolutely need water-tight operation?

I always make a point of testing the batteries every so often, and if they're under a volt, I put 'em in the charger. Just don't let your NiMH's get too low.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would Energizer AA lithium cells be a safer alternative in that they are designed to vent without spewing damaging chemicals? These are sold to the masses who must regularily reverse charge run down cells in items using 2 - 4 cells. I haven't heard of any problems and Energizer lithiums have been on the market for years.

NiMH, NiCd, & Alks all contain causitc alkaline electrolyte which ruins metal. Is it correct that lithiums use a volitile organic compound which may explode under rare conditions but short of that any released fluid from a depleated cell won't harm metal?

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
An alkaline battery, when overdischarged, can vent hydrogen without leaking any liquid. It is normal. There are worst situations, consider the PT Surge, or many underwater 8D or 8C spotlights.
I had this problem occurring many times with other lights.
The L2P makes visible, due to the tailcap boot, that there is a pressure increase inside the light body.

I believe that Fenix should include in the circuit of the L2P a voltage limiter, that at 1.8 Volt shuts the light off. In this manner, the process of reverse charging of one cell cannot take place.

Anthony

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is the same problem that happened with a guys Pm6, except his blew up because his tailcap has metal underneath the rubber boot.

-David

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo, well that happened because of mixing 2 brands of 3v lithium primaries and it was stuck in the on position. Perhaps the cells were at different discharge levels too.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
cheapo, well that happened because of mixing 2 brands of 3v lithium primaries and it was stuck in the on position. Perhaps the cells were at different discharge levels too.

but both lights built up pressure... and the pressure most likely came from the same source.

-Davud

Latest posts