Shoes Thrown at President Bush

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well accroding to the article his own family can't get the story straight.
I'm sure he was beaten but I doubt it was all that bad.

A brother of Muntazer al-Zaidi said the reporter had been taken to the Ibn-Sina military hospital after being hit on the head with a rifle butt. Iraqi security men had also broken his arm. Dargham al-Zaidi said his brother had suffered broken ribs and internal bleeding.

But another brother, Maitham al-Zaidi, later said he had spoken with the shoe thrower on the phone and he had said: "Thank God I am in good health."

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure they worked him over good in a back room somewhere. Maybe it wasn't a rifle butt, maybe they used his own shoes. Or Bush could throw his shoes back at the guy. The late night stuff was hilarious, they even drug Sarah Palin into it.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
706angryninjasmileythrond9.gif

Throwing away perfectly good shoes.... Greta would not approve. :grin2:

tygger

Enlightened
You're suggesting it's funny to throw shoes at people you don't know because the press has convinced you they're bad people? Who else would you find it funny to throw shoes at; anyone you don't agree with? :ironic:

I'm not suggesting anything. And FWIW, the humor was primarily aimed at the press.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
It used to be the pen was mightier than the sword. Are shoes mightier than the pen these days ?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
In 2003 when Saddam Hussein was overthrown, US Marines knocked down a statue of Saddam. After it fell to the ground, bystanders started pelting it with their shoes and stomping it on the head- a huge sign of disrespect in Arab culture.

The fact that it was happening to Bush is... well... I'll leave it up to you on "why" it happened.:devil:
You maybe correct,but I would like to add!when the Iraq war started,little did Bush or Blair know........:thinking:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first saw that in the news I couldn't help but think of the Nike commercial, was it Spike Lee? but the one where he goes "It's gotta be the shoes!"

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems my fellow New Yorkers will latch onto any trend, as long as it's anti-Bush. Who needs substance when you've got symbolism. (Yes, they honestly have nothing better to do). :laughing:

http://www.huliq.com/3302/74553/new-yorkers-copy-iraqi-shoe-throwing-protest

Read that in the paper this morning - I was laughing my butt off.

Apparently a guy was arrested for throwing his shoe at an MTA spokesman while he was speaking about the fair hikes (which it looks like we are getting :thumbsdow).

Love this city.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now... The shoe is on the other foot:

A spokesman for Iraq's prime minister says the journalist who threw his shoes at President George W. Bush has asked for a pardon.

Spokesman Yassin Majid says that in a letter sent Thursday to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki the journalist described his behavior as "an ugly act" and asked to be pardoned.

Majid says that Muntadhar al-Zeidi in the letter recalls the kindness the prime minister once showed him during an interview in 2005 and asked for al-Maliki to show him kindness once again.
Courage of conviction and all...

-Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Apparently a guy was arrested for throwing his shoe at an MTA spokesman while he was speaking about the fair hikes (which it looks like we are getting :thumbsdow).

Love this city.

The guy never even got a chance to reach for his shoe. He was grabbed and ushered out of the meeting. (Most likely by plain-clothed NYPD officers).

His parting statement was more significant than his failed act of symbolism.... He shouted that the head of the MTA made $300,000 last year. Sure is nice to be a fat cat, sitting behind a desk, pushing papers around, making up lies about lack of money, need for higher fares, etc.

Last edited: