Shopping mall power failed

brianna

Enlightened
I am done shopping and the power fails in the mall. I never really noticed this before but only the mall common areas have emergency backup lights. They are no better than nightlights. The stores are dark like caves. So I walk through one very large department store to my car. I turn around and about 30 people are following me like moths flying around a street light. It is good to be king.

The sad part of this is that I only had my Fenix E15 keychain light with me. I never thought I would've needed my Surefire just to go shopping in the mall. Even in a large pitch black department store a little light really goes a long way.

MatthewSB

Enlightened
The keychain light proves that a little can go a long way.

When asked a couple weeks ago why I carry a light everywhere, I brought up that once you go inside, if the power goes out it becomes extra super dark.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Fenix E05 seems to be my mainstay EDC now. Used to be the EDC Rotary but no pocket clip, and E1B sometimes. Preon 2 not getting much gametime since the E05 grabbed onto my keyring. Does the trick for most needs.

Still got at least an EDC Rotary when I have a bag on me.

markr6

Flashaholic
I always wondered how dark some places would get. But now days you'll most likely have 50 people with their smartphone flashlight app going - and they put out some pretty impressive light! I really like the iPhone 5 output and tint. But I would reach for my torch 100% of the time and use the phone as a last resort.

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
I am done shopping and the power fails in the mall. I never really noticed this before but only the mall common areas have emergency backup lights. They are no better than nightlights. The stores are dark like caves. So I walk through one very large department store to my car. I turn around and about 30 people are following me like moths flying around a street light. It is good to be king.

The sad part of this is that I only had my Fenix E15 keychain light with me. I never thought I would've needed my Surefire just to go shopping in the mall. Even in a large pitch black department store a little light really goes a long way.

Wow this is the flashaholic's dream. The power of sight.

The light's go out and you have no concern. Because you know that you have that EDC in your pocket. Light!

I always have my Fenix E01 or LD01 in my pocket every day. Why not?

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
^lol. I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I've been secretly wishing for the power to go out while I'm at dinner, or at a mall, or school or something so I can whip out my EDC.

JJohn

Enlightened
Not exactly the same thing but close...

I was at a friend's house in the mountains. We were playing a board game with the kids. Suddenly, the lights go out. It is pitch black. You can't see anything at all. Both the adults and the kids start to get a little nervous. I turn on a ZL SC51W and set it on the table ceiling-bounce style and say, "Okay who's turn was it?". We played for a couple more hours and the kids enjoyed it more than if the power had stayed on. The power didn't come back on until the next day.

Normally I carry a AAA light but because we were staying in basically a large cabin, I brought a AA light just in case. Yeah, my family sometimes teases me for always having a light with me but, this time they said it saved the evening.

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's like every flashaholics' dream come true.

Shame on you for not carrying a bigger light, though.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
Great story. I love hearing stories about where people get a chance to really use there lights . glad you had it with you

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
^lol. I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I've been secretly wishing for the power to go out while I'm at dinner, or at a mall, or school or something so I can whip out my EDC.

I told my story on here about how there was a blackout when I was at dinner. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?345472-Tales-from-a-blackout

When it happens, it's a great feeling but sometimes, you just wish you had a few more lights with you ... and for the blackout to go on and on and on ..

Rexlion

Enlightened
I'm in and out of school buildings all day, setting up book displays. A couple of times the building I've been in has lost power. I'm in a room with no windows... I whip out my Maratac AAA and keep working.

One evening the power went out in our neighborhood. But of course, with all the bright lights at my disposal we had our house interior lit up like a Christmas tree. One of the neighbors knocked, wanting to know how come we had power when everyone else didn't! :D

Burgess

Flashaholic
BTW, to Rexlion --

I always notice your avatar:

Stereo Realist camera, made by David White Instruments, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

:)
_

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Risky

Newly Enlightened

This happened to me when I was at the mall with my GF a few months ago. We were in the rich people's mall and it was storming bad outside when all of a sudden all the power goes out. I had my Fenix PD32 ready to go and sure enough I was the only one prepared as we made our way through the dark. I even made a smartass loud comment saying how ****ed these people would be in a real disaster situation.

Last edited:
Years ago I had the a similar situation at work! I'd been transferred to take the Sous Chef job at a property in another town. First week I was there we lost power in the restaurant and hotel for a good hour. I had my Surefire G2 Nitrolon in the top of my suitcase and it really saved the day. My EDC keychain light is a Fenix E01; not super bright but super handy!:D

Rexlion

Enlightened
BTW, to Rexlion --

I always notice your avatar:

Stereo Realist camera, made by David White Instruments, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

:)
_
Give the man a see-gar! Yup, I have two of them, one is modified for wider photo format. But I'm shooting almost all digital nowadays with a Fujifilm 3D W3 and a pair of Canon DSLRs.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
While serving in the USAF I taught in a repurposed building that had NO windows and severe weather shut off power frequently, even luminous watchs helped you to navigate the halls. Now I carry at least 2 pocketable lights all the time. Not gonna happen again.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wondered how dark some places would get. But now days you'll most likely have 50 people with their smartphone flashlight app going - and they put out some pretty impressive light! I really like the iPhone 5 output and tint. But I would reach for my torch 100% of the time and use the phone as a last resort.

I suppose that's a good thing going forward, though it happened in a roundabout way (via cellphone camera LED flashes) now most people have access to a flashlight that's on them all the time, assuming they've figured out how to use their phone as one.