Should I be scared my Acebeam K70 might explode?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just so we are clear, the cells internal protection, the ability for them to vent, saved the day. The PCB failed to trip from a short and let the cell enter thermal run away.

So the internal protection of the cell was the safety device that worked. Will that cause a zero volt reading when it happens ?

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
To add a further clarification, if the PCB had tripped, the cell would also be reading 0V. However, given that these cells basically look like they burned up, the PCB did not trip properly on those. The PCB should have tripped before the batteries got to this state. I noticed that 2 batteries look like they are in better condition. Are those the 2 that read 0V? If so, then my guess is that protection tripped properly on those 2 but not the other 2.

TBH, I always thought these Olight batteries looked questionable and this does confirm that it was at least part of the problem.

OP - You mentioned that you like buying different colored batteries to segregate mated sets for each light. Instead of doing this, I would recommend finding good cells at one location and you can just label them with a sharpie. That's the easiest way I've found to ID batteries and keep them together.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
This incident cased by short-circuit of tail cap, which two springs touched together, and the reason of two springs touch togher is the springs were distorted when removing/filling the battery carrier from tail cap not from the head.

So we kind reminder every acebeam fans that removing the tube from the head to change the battery and using Acebeam battery or 4MOSFET protected battery.

It is a reckless design which values profit margins above life and limb. Shifting the blame onto the end user for the incident is not only bad form, it is irresponsible. There are several low cost options for proper electrical insulation at the tail cap, but Acebeam has scorned them all to save pennies. Shameful. Removing the tail cap for battery changes is intuitive and relying on the batteries' PCB is not the answer.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a reckless design which values profit margins above life and limb. Shifting the blame onto the end user for the incident is not only bad form, it is irresponsible. There are several low cost options for proper electrical insulation at the tail cap, but Acebeam has scorned them all to save pennies. Shameful. Removing the tail cap for battery changes is intuitive and relying on the batteries' PCB is not the answer.

Nowhere in this thread did Acebeam place the blame on the user. To the contrary, they have been forthcoming and helpful.

We bought a new toaster and the directions state "DO NOT PLACE HANDS INTO TOASTER WHEN IN USE OR WHEN IT IS PLUGGED INTO AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET."

Just because someone will die if they don't follow the directions, doesn't mean the design of the toaster isn't solid.

At some point people need to put on their big boy pants and take responsibility for their own actions. In this case, reading and following the instructions would have prevented the incident from happening.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K60/70 comes with a manual showing the proper way to load/unload the battery carrier. If the instructions are properly followed, this wouldn't have happened.

Here it is for those that acquired one without the manual, lost it, or didn't take the time read it.

uqKjsIh.jpg

Seems straightforward enough.

Either way looks like a pretty sweet light, really want one now for no good reason lol

:rock:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the same issue possible from removing and putting back on the tailcap without taking out the battery carrier? for example, removing the tailcap to service the switch, putting cap back on and the springs make contact.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
We bought a new toaster and the directions state "DO NOT PLACE HANDS INTO TOASTER WHEN IN USE OR WHEN IT IS PLUGGED INTO AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET."

Just because someone will die if they don't follow the directions, doesn't mean the design of the toaster isn't solid.

There are a lot of reasons why this is not a good comparison. I don't care to debate them with you. I've seen the inside of a lot of tail caps in my flashoholic days, and I feel qualified to say that this was a cheap, poorly executed design.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like good comparisons.

Here is one: When a new child is born, there are lots of cautions, warnings, tons of Do's and Don'ts.

This has been going on for many thousands of years. Billions of new babies born to people for tens of thousands of years who had no written language. No baby born clutching an instruction manual in its hands. No government mandated warning labels slathered on its forehead. Yet, we survive.

When a new K70 is opened by its new owner, there is an instruction manual with instructions. Instructions on how to access the cell carrier. When I opened up my new K70, there was the instruction manual. What more can I expect from life? Insulating foam rubber wrapped around anything that can be a detriment to life?

Quick, please air-drop a trillion tons of liquid quick-dry insulating foam on Washington DC.

coffeecup66

Enlightened

+ 2.

Should be recalled just like the Galaxy Note 7 was.

archimedes

Flashaholic

At some point people need to put on their big boy pants and take responsibility for their own actions. In this case, reading and following the instructions would have prevented the incident from happening.

I like good comparisons.

Here is one: When a new child is born, there are lots of cautions, warnings, tons of Do's and Don'ts.

This has been going on for many thousands of years. Billions of new babies born to people for tens of thousands of years who had no written language. No baby born clutching an instruction manual in its hands. No government mandated warning labels slathered on its forehead. Yet, we survive.

When a new K70 is opened by its new owner, there is an instruction manual with instructions. Instructions on how to access the cell carrier. When I opened up my new K70, there was the instruction manual. What more can I expect from life? Insulating foam rubber wrapped around anything that can be a detriment to life?

Quick, please air-drop a trillion tons of liquid quick-dry insulating foam on Washington DC.

+ 2.

Should be recalled just like the Galaxy Note 7 was.

Let's get back to flashlights, please ....

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's get back to flashlights, please ....
I love my K70.

1. Holster is included.

2. and vens' killer beamshots.

3. User configurable batteries, no need to drag additional charger around.

4. Stainless steel bezel; lights with stainless steel bezels look like a million bucks.

5. Upper limit of throw, without extra extra head diameter, and without extra extra weight.

6. Single emitter provides lovely dedicated thrower beam profile.

7. Not an all arounder, but lights that are dedicated throwers are usually not all arounders.

8. Nice build quality in addition to the low price.

and also: 9. No need to be scared that it might explode, if I read the manual and look it (and the light) over occasionally.

-------
If it is too light weight to do bicep curls, then it is not too heavy to hip holster edc.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both K60 and K70 flashlights, both have been working fine. I did notice that the K70 inner spring had slightly bent to one side (Never have opened the tailcap), was able to push it back to center just using my finger, thanks for the headsup.

I also notice when comparing it to the K60, the K60 has a much better quality spring look at the pictures

K70 on the left and K60 on the right, I feel that Acebeam should have used the spring that was used on their K60 and not change to a wider, thinner spring that they used on their K70 IMHO.

Maybe Acebeam can send out some of the K60 springs...
tmGgJLp.jpg

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
im just thinking out loud here, but maybe the instructions should say to never remove the tailcap, not just for changing batteries. it seems the issue is the tailcap being unscrewed itself and not which end the battery carrier comes out of.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
im just thinking out loud here, but maybe the instructions should say to never remove the tailcap, not just for changing batteries. it seems the issue is the tailcap being unscrewed itself and not which end the battery carrier comes out of.

In today's society where no-one takes responsibility for themselves, that's a very sensible suggestion.
P

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Nowhere in this thread did Acebeam place the blame on the user. To the contrary, they have been forthcoming and helpful.

Just to be clear, my light did NOT come with the instructions that were posted above; to the contrary, the dealer actually put them in for me the "Wrong way." Of course it wasn't his fault unless Acebeam told him--Modernflame is correct in that taking off the tailcap to put the batteries is the more common/intuitive way.

Because Seery is posting the instructions mine doesn't have, my best guess is Acebeam later realized they had a problem with the design, wrote those instructions and began including them with the lights.
I don't claim to be an expert on what would be a "minimum responsible action" vs what is "going above and beyond" but the incident does cause me to ponder the integrity/responsibility difference between Samsung in the case of their S7 Note vs Acebeam in this case. All I'm saying is that in comparison it seems pretty "BIG" of Samsung to Voluntarily recall and replace/refund millions of their own products. And I would say don't think less of them for that!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because Seery is posting the instructions mine doesn't have, my best guess is Acebeam later realized they had a problem with the design, wrote those instructions and began including them with the lights.
That is 100% incorrect.

I bought both a K60 and K70 when they were first released, and instructions were included with both. I have since bought a couple more of each, and they also included instructions.

Somebody removed the instructions from your light after it left the factory.

Did you look in the space between the foam insert and the cardboard box? They may actually be there and you just didn't see them.

coffeecup66

Enlightened
Could Ricky or his family have died because of this "spring-in-spring" design in his Acebeam K70 flashlight ?

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I went back to the store I bought the light at yesterday. I was thinking getting 4 new batteries and bending the spring back would work. They were quite helpful and we tried a few different things.

First the positive contacts on the battery carrier had lifted up so they reattached those but there was still a problem with the clicky switch. Light works when the tailcap is off and the negative side of the battery holder is connected to the threads on the body.

They were thinking of hardwiring the ground to the body, bypassing the switch; then I can turn the light off by either the off ring position between turbo and strobe or using the tailcap.
What do you all think - Does that sound safe? :)

Acebeam said they would ship out a new tailcap and battery tube for free. Of course they want me to pay them first, and we're now now negotiating how much "free" will cost me. I think this will take a while! (Acebeam obviously has no sense of responsibility - they're trying to recoup any losses thru shipping fees!)