Should I buy a Nitecore Extreme or a JetBeam II Pro?

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
I have decided that I want a good quality and reliable (1) CR123a Flashlight that can also use Rechargeable CR123a. I have been reading for a few hours and have narrowed it down to the following:

Nitecore Tactical Extreme
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=505

JET BEAM Jet II Pro:
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jeprrenoma23.html
137042966_o.jpg

My question is which one would you recommend? I am leaning towards the Jet Beam primarily because it sounds like it is easier to use and their warranty is better.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
EX10, the piston switch is more reliable than the clickies in those other lights, especially the clickies in Jetbeams.

TDKKP

Enlightened
Buy both.

That's what I did, well almost the same, last month. I didn't buy the JetBeam II Pro instead got the regular JetBeam II IBS for a little more throw. And my Nicore Extreme is the one with Stainless Steel bezel. And I do love them both.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
neither the Ex10 nor the D10 has the output of the Extreme. Get the Extreme over the Jetbeam II pro. The only reason to get the Jet II IBS over the Extreme is that its got amazing throw, 2000 lux at one meter, more thrown then the Extreme i think. The Jet II pro has less throw that that, although i believe a simidgen more then the Extreme

Crenshaw

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went with the Jet II IBS. It has 3 levels that are all user adjustable and is brighter on maximum.

You should take a look at Selfbuilt's excellent 1 CR123/RCR123 comparison review if you haven't already seen it. Here's his review of the Jet II Pro.

Edit: The Extreme - 5150 lux.
Jet II Pro - 8050 lux.
Jet II IBS - 9350 lux.
All lights using an OP reflector.

Last edited:

limecc

Newly Enlightened
On the strength of Selfbuilt's excellent round-up, I purchased the Nitecore.

I'm interested in max output for as long as possible, and the Jetbeam on max only runs for 22mins.

OK so there is slightly less output from the Extreme, so if the IBS is switched down to high we still get only 32mins, with the Extreme managing 41 mins with more output, so for me, this was the winner.

I read somewhere else that the IBS has an inefficient driver so this must be the reason seeing as they have the same Q5 emitter.

Last edited:

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
You won't be dissapointed. I liked the NEI so much that I just ordered the NDI from TadGear.

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
Well I did not get an overwhelming answer like I was hoping for. I have since kept researching and came across the Wolf Eyes Angel CX. My question now is which one is easiest to use between the:
Nitecore Extreme, JetBeam II Pro, and Wolf Eyes Angel?
All I really need is a high and low.

TodToh

Newly Enlightened
According to your question.
In max output NiteCore Extreme has brighter hot spot(in my eye:p)
and in this point it has more than double in runtime.
What do you choose?:laughing:

Last edited:

GBH2

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Jet-II IBS and I love it. It is an amazing thrower for the size.
I am going to buy a Nitecore Extreme also.

I do recommend you buy both.

That said - if you can only buy one I think you should buy the Nitecore Extreme:
All around useful beam with good throw;
high output with good heat dissipation;
excellent runtime per output;
Surefire compatible threading (You could put the Extreme head on an E1b body);
Now that 4sevens is carrying them you have a reliable dealer to deal with for any warranty issues; and
it looks really cool!

Good Luck!

itch808

Newly Enlightened
What's the difference between the two switches, at the end of the day their both a click on/off type switch or is it the meachanism inside the switch.

Simple, conventional clickie's fail/stop working after a while. The PD design won't (or shouldn't). At this sort of price point would you really want to have a light with a failed switch down the line?

jayke

Newly Enlightened
I Have the Extreme and the JetII Pro. The Extreme has much better spill. The Jet has a good amount more throw and a more defined hotspot. The Jet will not tear up your pocket like the Extreme will if you use the clip. The Jet has a pretty ringy beam also.

Tubor

Enlightened
I have both and while the Jetbeam is more useful over all because of the programmable levels, the extreme is more efficient and lasts longer while being simple to use with a forward clicky. So I use the Jetbeam when I might need a bright/multi-purpose light but not one I'd be using that much, and the extreme for general duties as it lasts ages for the amount of light is gives out.

Actually I take both as the battery in the other acts as a back-up for the torch I'm using at the time, but if I only take one it's the extreme. Hope that's clear...
as mud i know.;)

Both are well made and work as described, no problems.

Jesseri

Newly Enlightened
Buy both of them. :paypal: should've been done already :). Both are great lights.

OFFTOPIC:
I'm quite lost in the woods by this Jetbeam switch hating business, which seems to be all around on the CPF.

How many of you have had problems with non working Jetbeam switches or even broken retaining rings, those plastic ones?. I know some models have quite stiff switches, but my EX10 needs about twice amount of force to tun on/off than my MK IBS. Yes i have "deoxitied" the piston and the o-ring. All i can say that mine Jetbeams have worked flawlesly. And for those reverse clicky haters, Jetbeam seems to be adding forward clicky option to their lights.

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
Since I started this thread I thought I would let ya'll know that I decided to buy the Jet Beam II Pro. I have had this light for about a week now and really like it. My only complaint is that if you use it in a tactical situation and use it as a momentary on and off and then back on quicker than two seconds, then it will switch modes. The light really does throw well, like everyone says. I am a Deputy and I carry this light in my left pocket and a Surefire G2 LED on my duty belt. This makes a great combination. The guys at work can't believe that little Jet Beam can throw that much light.