Should one use only rechargeable batteries?

livemusic

Newly Enlightened
I use AA, AAA, C, D batteries for various things, general household use, flashlights, game cameras, household motion detector night lights, etc. Do you guys use rechargeable batteries for everything? Any reason not to? (Instead of buying a big supply of AA batteries, for instance, from Amazon or Samsclub or other supplier.)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I use AA, AAA, C, D batteries for various things, general household use, flashlights, game cameras, household motion detector night lights, etc. Do you guys use rechargeable batteries for everything? Any reason not to? (Instead of buying a big supply of AA batteries, for instance, from Amazon or Samsclub or other supplier.)
I use rechargeables to save money foremost and improve performance. If I am using up batteries on a device often then rechargeable batteries is almost a must if possible. If a device takes years to use up a battery then rechargeable batteries may be to expensive for that one task (like dumb remote controls). In temperature extremes and under very low useage rechargeables may not be the best solution.
I rarely use alkaline batteries these days, at least in the AA/AAA format. I've also tried to avoid if possible devices that take 9v, C, and D batteries if possible so as to be able to use rechargeable batteries.
When it comes to LED lights rechargeable batteries allows you to use them any time for any amount of time while primary batteries will have you either spending a lot of money to use them as much as you want or have you rationing their usage in order to conserve battery expenditures.
Also investing and using rechargeables helps the environment and in the long run the savings can pay for purchases of devices to use... rechargeables in.
One other reason to use rechargeables is that lithium primaries are a lot more expensive than alkaline which tend to leak and ruin your devices when you least expect it.

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
I use rechargeables for nearly everything, with a few exceptions:
- My wrist watch still uses a non-rechargeable button cell (don't know if there are rechargeables in that size)
- My main multimeter still runs on the alkaline AAA's it came with 2 years ago
- A wall clock in my kitchen still runs on a non-rechargeable "C" cell past its expiry date (the last one I have though)
- some remotes also still run on the batteries they came with, which are mostly zinc-chloride, but I took the batteries out of those not in use
- There is one rarely used 2D flashlight and one cellar light, both rarely used, still runing on non-rechargeables

And I do have some spare non-rechargeables which mainly come from devices they came with, but I didn't use them in those devices because I thought it wouldn't make sense to use non-rechargeables in power-hungry devices such as an RC forklift, a portable cassette player, a boombox or a wireless microphone. I would rather put them in remotes, wall clocks or such, or give them to my parents.

As for reasons not to, here are some reasons I heard from other people which are not so convinced of using only rechargeable cells:
"I just ask my mother to buy some new batteries for my Walkman, and then I can listen again. It's much simpler this way." (This was back in 1987)
"One day the rechargeables died while I was teaching at school, so I asked a pupil to buy some batteries and never used the rechargeables again since."
"If you buy batteries in bulk as we do, they are pretty cheap, so it doesn't pay off to invest in rechargeables and a charger."
"As a hobby photographer, I use Eneloops in my flashlight, but we use normal alkalines for everything else around the house, because I have children, and they might mess everything up if we used all rechargeables, including my photographing hobby. Also they might leave the batteries in the devices where they might leak because they're already a few years old. We only use about 40 AA's per year anyway."
"Those rechargeables are so cumbersome because you always have to recharge them!"
"We tried, but it doesn't work. Someone would have to stay nearby while they charge, and so they never get recharged. Out of the 12 LSD rechargeables we bought, only 8 ever got recharged. We just continue to buy those IKEA discount alkalines, and we already have a bucket of old batteries."
"I have a WII whose remote doesn't accept rechargeables, so I have to use alkalines in it. However, this leaves plenty of charge in them, so I use up the remaining charge in all my other devices and got rid of all the rechargeables which I don't need anymore."
"We didn't use rechargeables for our wireless microphones because you never know when they will die for good, and we have to make sure those mics work every time."
"As a sound technics company, we require the customer to supply us with batteries for the wireless mics we bring, and sadly, (!) they give us Duracells instead of rechargeables. It's common practice in our business that the customer has to supply the batteries." (I think I could convince this guy, who's actually the owner of the company, to change this policy)
"You can't use rechargeable batteries in a theater because you would have to check (measure) all the batteries every day instead of just swapping them."
"We don't give out any batteries with the recording devices we have for rental. If we gave the customers rechargeables with them, they might kill them, so they have to supply their own batteries."
"My charger broke, and I can't afford to buy a new one, so I use alkalines now instead."
"The rechargeable AA batteries and the charger belong to the digital camera only because they came with it. The other batteries are for the other devices."

As for myself, I don't see any reason to BUY any non-rechargeable batteries (except for the unavoidable button cells) for the devices I have nowadays.

Last edited:

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
Some more reasons not to use rechargeables that came to mind:
"Please do not use rechargeable batteries." (printed in manual of original Gameboy)
"Caution! Only use Zinc-Carbon and Alkaline batteries" (emprinted in battery compartment of Philips boombox from 1986)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use rechargeable batteries for everything I can to be more eco-friendly, for the cost savings long term, and for the performance increase in many applications. There really isn't any reason not to now a days with the abundance of high quality low cost cells that are available to us.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Some more reasons not to use rechargeables that came to mind:
"Please do not use rechargeable batteries." (printed in manual of original Gameboy)
"Caution! Only use Zinc-Carbon and Alkaline batteries" (emprinted in battery compartment of Philips boombox from 1986)
I believe the reason that the Game Boy doesn't want you to use rechargeable batteries is that it will cut into their sales of their rechargeable pack which (rolling eyes) uses guess what? rechargeable batteries. As for the boombox I bet it can also use rechargeable batteries but the cost of 6D rechargeable batteries and charger is pretty expensive most folks probably would use alkalines instead.

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
Yes, it can use rechargeable batteries, definitively... in fact I ignored the manufacturer's advice in both devices. The Game Boy discharges its batteries pretty deeply until it cuts out though... I think down to about 0.6 V per cell, and since it has 4 cells you get quite a lot of cell failures if you use rechargeables because there's always one that will die first, unless they are perfectly matched, which they really weren't in my case.

The boombox actually started my run of rechargeable batteries... at first I wired in a racing pack from my RC car which I didn't use much anyway... and of course I had a charger for it already. It wasn't until one and a half years later that I invested in full-size D rechargeables, but I didn't really use a charger with that many places for D cells (in fact never had one with 6 places for D's), but I have a bit of a strange contraption which my father soldered together for me... first there's an even older 6D boombox retrofitted with a plug for those RC packs allowing using the RC pack instead of normal batteries, then there's a hand-built adapter also soldered by him plugging into it with was originally made to power two devices (such as the boombox and an electronic keyboard) on one RC pack at the same time... however it also has a jack socket which fits nicely into the plug of the mains adapter of my old Atari 2600 video game. This contraption allows to charge the 6 D cells in the battery compartment of the old boombox, as well as charging RC packs with that adapter. I'm still using it this way, only that I recently replaced the Atari adapter by the universal adapter we bought for the Game Boy in the early 90's. I'm now on my 6th set of full-size D rechargeables since 1988, and I would say that even though they're expensive (that last set was about € 90 including shipping) it has paid off because D alkalines aren't exactly cheap either. Back in 1986 when I started this I still went to school, and I loved to carry that boombox around and take it with me, and even now I'm carrying it around the flat every day listening to the radio, and it's nice not to have to unplug and plug it every time... just have to recharge the batteries 2-3 times a month, without incurring high battery costs... I'm now on the same set since over 6 years.

I believe the reason that the Game Boy doesn't want you to use rechargeable batteries is that it will cut into their sales of their rechargeable pack which (rolling eyes) uses guess what? rechargeable batteries. As for the boombox I bet it can also use rechargeable batteries but the cost of 6D rechargeable batteries and charger is pretty expensive most folks probably would use alkalines instead.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yes, it can use rechargeable batteries, definitively... in fact I ignored the manufacturer's advice in both devices. The Game Boy discharges its batteries pretty deeply until it cuts out though... I think down to about 0.6 V per cell, and since it has 4 cells you get quite a lot of cell failures if you use rechargeables because there's always one that will die first, unless they are perfectly matched, which they really weren't in my case.

The boombox actually started my run of rechargeable batteries... at first I wired in a racing pack from my RC car which I didn't use much anyway... and of course I had a charger for it already. It wasn't until one and a half years later that I invested in full-size D rechargeables, but I didn't really use a charger with that many places for D cells (in fact never had one with 6 places for D's), but I have a bit of a strange contraption which my father soldered together for me... first there's an even older 6D boombox retrofitted with a plug for those RC packs allowing using the RC pack instead of normal batteries, then there's a hand-built adapter also soldered by him plugging into it with was originally made to power two devices (such as the boombox and an electronic keyboard) on one RC pack at the same time... however it also has a jack socket which fits nicely into the plug of the mains adapter of my old Atari 2600 video game. This contraption allows to charge the 6 D cells in the battery compartment of the old boombox, as well as charging RC packs with that adapter. I'm still using it this way, only that I recently replaced the Atari adapter by the universal adapter we bought for the Game Boy in the early 90's. I'm now on my 6th set of full-size D rechargeables since 1988, and I would say that even though they're expensive (that last set was about € 90 including shipping) it has paid off because D alkalines aren't exactly cheap either. Back in 1986 when I started this I still went to school, and I loved to carry that boombox around and take it with me, and even now I'm carrying it around the flat every day listening to the radio, and it's nice not to have to unplug and plug it every time... just have to recharge the batteries 2-3 times a month, without incurring high battery costs... I'm now on the same set since over 6 years.
2.4v cutoff for a gameboy is definitely a problem I've had problems damaging cells that are drained in series to even 0.9v at times it makes you consider using a circuit for low voltage cut off.
I applaud you for using D cell rechargeables it is a good idea if you are going through a lot of batteries I have a boom box from the late 70s that uses 6D cells and ended up designing a 12v to 9v regulator and ran it off external small 12v lead acid batteries I was given that came out of a backup power supply for old mainframe computers. It was a lot more bulky but I had 3 of the batteries in a box and could run the boom box for a long time switching in/out the batteries 1 at a time.
I've got 3 boom boxes the old one by my bed I power it off a 6v SLA in an outage at low levels it runs for a week at night if needed I have a newer sony outdoor one I'm considering converting to 18650 power I think 2 pairs of 18650s in series (2x2) would yield me from 7.4-8.4v and should power it as it is 9v. I have to figure out how to integrate them into it and want to be able to charge it via the 9v dc input and also include a USB output so I can use it as a power bank too.
I haven't done all of this yet mainly because I almost never use a portable boom box these days the radios I use are either plugged in the wall in the house or in the car.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of low cost, low load devices don't really justify rechargeables.

The Fenix E01 certainly runs quite well on alkalines, and I always seem to end up with some partially discharged cells to throw in mine (for that matter, I'm pretty sure the battery recycling bin at work has dozens of half-discharged cells in it from tools that don't suck them dry - free E01 fuel until retirement!). I've also got a couple multi-mode 1xAAA or 1xAA lights that I only seldom use the highest mode on. Performance is quite respectable on the lower modes with alkalines.

For non-flashlight uses, my indoor/outdoor thermometer seems to last 2+ years on a set of alkalines. That's a very slow payback for NiMH. The little noise-making toys my toddler plays with also don't seem to be consuming batteries very quickly, and in a year or two he'll be bored with them. Remote controls? I've had my current TV for 5 years, and it's never even given a hint of needing new batteries.

There's a lot of devices that definitely work better on rechargeables, though, especially flashlights.

Also, the risk of the battery damaging the device is much lower with NiMH than with alkalines. A couple devices that should be fine with alkalines I'm putting NiMH for protection against damage from leaks, including the radio triggers I use for my camera flashes.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the batteries that work best for what i need them for. If I get some free batteries, then I will use them up even if they are not my preferred choice if I'm able to and I'm not risking the device by doing so.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much so Eneloops in everything possible or Energizer Lithiums. I have C & D adapters. Very rare I use anything else, with the exception of kids toys. Some of them I use regular ole alkaline batteries. The reason why, the wife or teen daughter will throw Eneloops away not paying attention.

mfunnell

Newly Enlightened
A lot of low cost, low load devices don't really justify rechargeables.

The Fenix E01 certainly runs quite well on alkalines, and I always seem to end up with some partially discharged cells to throw in mine (for that matter, I'm pretty sure the battery recycling bin at work has dozens of half-discharged cells in it from tools that don't suck them dry - free E01 fuel until retirement!). I've also got a couple multi-mode 1xAAA or 1xAA lights that I only seldom use the highest mode on. Performance is quite respectable on the lower modes with alkalines.
The trouble with that is you could go through a fair number of Fenix E01s that way. I lost one to a leaky alkaline, and promised myself to never leave an alkaline alone in a device ever again. Rechargables, lithium primaries or batteries out is the only way I'll leave pretty much anything now.

...Mike

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The trouble with that is you could go through a fair number of Fenix E01s that way. I lost one to a leaky alkaline, and promised myself to never leave an alkaline alone in a device ever again. Rechargables, lithium primaries or batteries out is the only way I'll leave pretty much anything now.

...Mike
Exactly!.... I think people waste a lot of time and effort and risk damaging things on leaky alkalines when instead of trying to eek out every little bit of an alkaline to save a few cents you just invest in rechargeable and toss the leakalines and charge instead.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of years ago, I gave my brother my old SC52w for Christmas. One thing I told him was to NOT use alkaline batteries. Today, that light sits in ruins because my warning about alkaleaks fell on deaf ears. The battery is stuck in there, and cannot be removed. Even if it CAN somehow be removed, I suspect the light is finished. If there is ANY reason to not use alkaline batteries, this is it. You really DON'T want to destroy an expensive light or multimeter just because you thought rechargeables weren't worth the 'trouble'. Even cheaper devices like remotes can be VERY hard to replace if they get destroyed. And a destroyed remote can render a TV or Blu-Ray player useless since so many of them lack controls on the TV/player itself. Furthermore, this is only one reason not to use alkaline batteries, and does not take into account issues like poor performance or disposal.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In a remote control, if you get a leak which chemistry does the most damage alkaline or zinc carbon ???

John.
I will say if the amount of material that is leaked is the same zinc carbon tends to be worse IMO as it usually stains and is harder to clean up and typically flows better (gets into things more).

Xiphex

Newly Enlightened
To answer your question: Rechargeable vs Alkaline really depends on your type of item, needs and convenience but the environment would love to be loved - the way of rechargeable & rechargeable saves $

In my case, when I do need alkaline batteries I usually purchase the ones on clearance once a year and stock up. How can you not - Energizer Max AA 20 pack for CAD$1.44 x 8 - remaining lifespan: 7 years of 10
If the alkaline is consumed fast then I won't need to worry about corrosion. Always remove the alkaline from an item when it's not in long-term use to prevent corrosion and damage to the item's battery compartment.
I stay away from Energizer AA rechargeable batteries. Those can't hold charge & always need to be boosted when using again. Ni-MH I have are Eneloops rechargeable regular, Duracell , Ikea high discharge LADDA & Sony Cycle Energy Blue/Green and AAA Energizer Ni-MH
Edit line: If you have kids' toys - really depends. If the child plays with the toys often and it's high drain - rechargeable. If the child lose interest in the electric toy: remove alkaline if possible if using alkaline batteries, kids toys I would say results in corrosion faster.

My three battery chargers are:
AAA/AA Ni-MH charger: Sony BCG-34HRE
18650/Ni-MH charger: Opus BT-C3100 V2.2 or Xtar VC4 (with Linke LK-Q135 Qualcomm 2.0 USB charger - outputs a stable 1A)

Things that are not using rechargeable batteries in my home:

Lithium 9Vs in the fire detectors & Carbon Monoxide/Gas detectors (not clearance - always fresh)
Wall clocks - low drain item, alkaline - always ticking, no worry of corrosion (unless battery runs flat - that not moving same position tick motion)
Electric keypad door locks x2 - can't risk being locked outside; alkaline and eats up the battery through 2.5 months per change x4 batteries each
Alarm clock backup batteries - alkaline, check once a month for corrosion - not too much of a worry

Things that are using rechargeable batteries in my home:

All my flashlights are on either AA rechargeable or Li-Ion 18650 rechargeable
Remote Controls - prevents corrosion, slow drain either AAA 700-900mAh or AA ~2000mAh
Panasonic DECT6 phone system - Panasonic Ni-MH AAA
Wall Flashlight/Nightlight combo - built in rechargeable battery
Laptop Batteries on laptops - Li-Ion
Dymo LetraTag label maker x4 AA Ni-MH
Sony MDR-ZX770BN, MDR-1000X - Built in Li-Ion rechargeable
Sony MDR-NC100D - AAA Ni-MH Sony Cycle Energy Blue
Bluetooth Speakers - built in rechargeable
Keyboards and Mice - AA Ni-MH/AAA Ni-MH/Built in Li-Ion
Electric toothbrush - buit in battery rechargeable
Electric Shaver - Built in battery rechargeable
Electric Trimmer - built in battery rechargeable

Open for debate
I'm not sure about this one: Xbox One controller - Which battery chemistry performs better and longer: Ni-MH or Li-Ion?
I don't mind taking out the AA batteries for recharge

I have the Xbox Li-Ion Play and charge kit at 1400mAh 4.2Wh 3.0v
and can also use Sony Cycle Energy Blue Ni-MH AA 2000mAh 1.2v x2 4000mAh (in series)

Last edited:

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
I don't understand this item:

Electric keypad door locks x2 - can't risk being locked outside; alkaline and eats up the battery through 2.5 months per change x4 batteries each

This sounds like an item that eats up quite a lot of batteries (relative to the others)... 19 cells per year in total. Have you tried using rechargeables in this one, and what is the exact reason why you prefer to use alkalines in it? Would rechargeables work in it?

Xiphex

Newly Enlightened
1.2 Volts is not sufficient - Rechargeable will weaken quickly and would need recharging once a week
38 Alkaline batteries, no?

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
1.2 Volts is not sufficient - Rechargeable will weaken quickly and would need recharging once a week
38 Alkaline batteries, no?
Make a custom battery holder for 5 rechargeable batteries instead of 4 and it should work fine if it is that voltage sensitive