Show your nightstand flashlight!

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify, all the high/low A2 twisties I own have experienced NO problems at all -- just yet. I take effort to clean and lubricate the internal tailcap chassis whenever possible. However, having known of such tailcap's problems, I decided to procure a few more just in case. Unfortunately that was the time when SF stopped issuing many legacy parts, including the A2/L replacement tailcap, so I ended up purchasing a few used ones on eB, in various conditions. (I only acquired the A2 back in 2019.)

So, as you can see, when SF tailcaps fail then you're pretty much on your own now. And that's one of the reasons I've sold off my Z48 and SW02 tailcaps, because I can't service them myself in case of failure. I now stick primarily to the Z41 (and Z57/61) McClicky mods for SF light setups as this is the only user-serviceable tailcap config. So do take extreme TLC to your tailcaps, especially the two-stage twisties.

Oh, I see.

I have actually use/d the L2, EDCL1-T, and EDCL2-T for work, without any problems with the tailcaps, ever, with multiples of each.

My first L2 use was in approx. 2005 or 2006, when I found they worked very well for me.

Another L2 soon became a nightstand light for me.

Thanks for the suggestion on care of the tailcaps, I think I'm good with that, but thanks again.

Did I mention I actually use/d mine, at work and at home, with absolutely no problems, since 2005 or 2006?

My experience with them may not be as long, or as hard use as yours, but never once have any of them failed me, or anyone else that I am personally aware of, that carries/d them.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I see.

I have actually use/d the L2, EDCL1-T, and EDCL2-T for work, without any problems with the tailcaps, ever, with multiples of each.

My first L2 use was in approx. 2005 or 2006, when I found they worked very well for me.

Another L2 soon became a nightstand light for me.

Thanks for the suggestion on care of the tailcaps, I think I'm good with that, but thanks again.

Did I mention I actually use/d mine, at work and at home, with absolutely no problems, since 2005 or 2006?

My experience with them may not be as long, or as hard use as yours, but never once have any of them failed me, or anyone else that I am personally aware of, that carries/d them.
If a tailcap switch has resistors or more complicated electronics inside then at some point they may fail after prolonged use. Keeping the chassis as clean as possible may prolong their lifetime. I recommend DeOxit Gold (G100) for conditioning tailcap chassis.

But even if your two-stage switches are still in good shape, one thing may still fail: the rubber boot. Once it's aged out and hardened, or when the knurling wears out, it will be at your best interest to replace it. Fortunately Lumens Factory does produce high-quality replacements if you need it someday.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a tailcap switch has resistors or more complicated electronics inside then at some point they may fail after prolonged use. Keeping the chassis as clean as possible may prolong their lifetime. I recommend DeOxit Gold (G100) for conditioning tailcap chassis.

But even if your two-stage switches are still in good shape, one thing may still fail: the rubber boot. Once it's aged out and hardened, or when the knurling wears out, it will be at your best interest to replace it. Fortunately Lumens Factory does produce high-quality replacements if you need it someday.

LOL

Please remind me on the use of your SF A2, and how long you've had it, and how you've used it?

What is your history/use of other "gas peddle" tailcap Sure Fires?

I suggest you re-read my posts, and how long I've had mine, and actually use them, and use them hard.

I am very well aware of how to clean, and care, for my flashlights, but thank you very much for your input.

LOL

ledbetter

Enlightened
Travel duo. Obviously take better care of firearm than MD2 M61NL stuck in tool box.
B9139D16-7D03-48F1-8DCF-9FC846AB1C75.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had forgotten about an old 1aa light stashed in my nightstand drawer until recently. It's a 1950's version of a Maglite solitaire.
8FA1FE46-6532-4902-9538-332940A115AD.jpeg

It's called a Tom Thumb light.
These things were big sellers at one point.

23EFF48C-910D-40AA-8DFA-60E4B57E64A5.jpeg

About the size of a 1aaa light.
Operated via mechanical slider using a #112 bulb.

Puts out about 2 lumens and depending on the bulb the beam can vary from full moon look to footbal shaped.
742822C2-67D5-47B8-AE14-ADF8E19EA8B2.jpeg

I installed a Holland made Norelco bulb in this one.

I call it "electric moonlight"……

DRW

Enlightened
Sorry OT again, but which states still allow for those hi-cap mags as of date?
Michigan does, and I bet more than half the States do as well.

Back on topic, but without a pic.

My nightstand light is my EDC Fenix HM61R without the headband and a 870 with a Streamlight light/laser.

brachypelma44

Newly Enlightened
Well, I haven't been able to sleep in a traditional bed for about 10 years now (serious back and shoulder problems) so I sleep on a giant marshmallow-like sofa, and as such, I don't have a nightstand.

However, I do keep a flashlight tucked under the sofa so I can grab it when the power goes out:

850_7791_DxOb.jpg

I have one layer of DC-fix on the lens, so it's very floody.

BigD64

Enlightened
Fenix PD36R and a 4 D cell Maglight with a LED conversion with 2 DD lithium-thionyl chloride batteries. I haven't had to change the batteries in 14ish years.