• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sigma Customs

jdboy

Enlightened
I was reading the comparison thread on material for EDC lights. This made me think of asking about the Regulus lights. I know the output is lower than the triples but wanted to know if it would be low enough for extended runtimes when in a Ti host without building up too much heat?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archimedes, thanks for your thoughts on the two.

If the medium ripple is similar to a triple but with more throw, how does the beam of a reflector fit into the mix?

(I have lights with reflectors and one triple, I prefer my triple for most uses but wish that I was able to get more throw without cranking it up to turbo.)

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archimedes, thanks for your thoughts on the two.

If the medium ripple is similar to a triple but with more throw, how does the beam of a reflector fit into the mix?

(I have lights with reflectors and one triple, I prefer my triple for most uses but wish that I was able to get more throw without cranking it up to turbo.)

I'd imagine a quality reflector will outhrow any reflector, you lose a little to the TIR.

aZhu

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to post this here. Enjoy!
7d84ed8479c7d14e9c0529a96b695cf2.jpg

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat anodized a McGizmo clip and installed it on the 18650 aluminum triple. Matches the blue boot nicely.

bdcVWrHh.jpg

I have to say, I much prefer the Gizmo and OR clips to the Okluma,

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks egg .... Since I don't have a Sigma Sirius (triple) , I'd be interested in your thoughts on that and the BOSS.

Had a chance to take out the 18650 aluminum Sirius 5000k 219c pictured above and compared it to the Boss 70 XPL-Hi 4000k. Both running off fully charged HG2 cells, I compared the Sigma double tap turbo shortcut (as it come set from Devin) to the Boss 70 single cell afterburner mode.

The 4000k Xpl-hi is a much nicer tint in my option. Unfortunately the beam pattern tends to be artifacty with the stock narrow carlco, a narrow frosted solves the artifacts but I wanted drilled optics in there so kept it stock.

The Sigma has more throw with greater output. This was simply tested but choosing a dark wooded area and shining the Boss on max, noting what's the farthest visible tree, then doing the same with the Sirius.

As mentioned, tint on Boss is more pleasing but at this output and distance I'm not sure how much that matters. I intent to compare the 2 cell Boss, in my option the ability to use two cells is the main advantage to the Boss 70 and only fair comparison as the increase in output will not be insignificant.

Bonus pic

rePqx5Ch.jpg

Sigma with glow gasket option on the left, boss with stock glow oring and green trits in optics. Worthy of note, the boss oring lost brightness much quicker than the sigma gasket.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading the comparison thread on material for EDC lights. This made me think of asking about the Regulus lights. I know the output is lower than the triples but wanted to know if it would be low enough for extended runtimes when in a Ti host without building up too much heat?

The H17F driver has the same output current in either the Sirius or Regulus, the difference is the number of LEDs. A Sirius in titanium will actually be slightly cooler because the current (3.04A high for example) is being divided between three LEDs instead of all to one, and the LEDs are more efficient at lower currents and generate less heat, however I don't know if you'd notice the difference since the Regulus has a larger heatsink.
Where the Regulus and titanium become useful is that the Regulus produces more lux hence more throw over a triple. The result being you don't need to crank the light up to high just to see a mere 50-60 yards like you do with a triple. I find high with the Regulus yields about 175 yards of practical range, a bit further if you are dealing with high contrast targets.

A medium ripple approximates a triple, meaning it has a similar beam size and similar lux. Throw would be about the same as a triple, possibly a little less since you have less output with a single emitter.

The 4000k Xpl-hi is a much nicer tint in my option. Unfortunately the beam pattern tends to be artifacty with the stock narrow carlco, a narrow frosted solves the artifacts but I wanted drilled optics in there so kept it stock.

The Sigma has more throw with greater output. This was simply tested but choosing a dark wooded area and shining the Boss on max, noting what's the farthest visible tree, then doing the same with the Sirius.
I'm surprised that 219C appears brighter for you, the XP-L HI should produce more lumens and more lux, thus should throw further.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Regarding clips on the Regulus, the OR clip is the one intended to fit, hence being standard. Others may fit with a little adjustment of the contact point via changing the bends.

Thanks for the thoughts Don, it is nice to have a comparison between the two.

Regarding optics, the Regulus is made with a 10003 Carclo "Medium spot" optic. This optic offers excellent throw in a 20mm format with a nicely balanced spill and hotspot. I considered the "Narrow spot" however the difference in lux in negligible and the beam profile is not very useful for EDC purposes as it lacks a useful amount of spill. The frosted spot, medium ripple, and wide ripple all offer useful beam patterns and as such are available as additional optics.
I'm sorry if I missed it but has anyone determined candella with medium optic? I know it is good for over 100 yds but easier to compare with other lights if I know the actual number assuming regulus is built. again.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry if I missed it but has anyone determined candella with medium optic? I know it is good for over 100 yds but easier to compare with other lights if I know the actual number assuming regulus is built. again.
I have no means of measuring output in lux or lumens, so the best I can give you is specsheet data,
11.5 Cd/Lm for the 10003 with a 219C, compared to a triple with a 219C being 3.3 Cd/Lm.
Assuming around 700 lumens on high, that would be around 8000 lux at 1 meter. Triple would come in around 2700 lux. This is assuming that any of these calculations and assumptions are remotely accurate...

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
DB, those numbers seem about right to me... for what that's worth. "175 yards of practical throw" from a beautifully crafted custom light is just what I was looking for. It being built by a friend makes it all the better!

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
DB, those numbers seem about right to me... for what that's worth. "175 yards of practical throw" from a beautifully crafted custom light is just what I was looking for. It being built by a friend makes it all the better!

Thanks Steve!

Would anyone be interested in an 18650 Sirius in aluminum? Got the ring layout a touch small so there is a larger gap near the should than usual.
Price would be $275 shipped with the clip and 5000k 219Cs installed.

zboZSDKRU3jFifZkxMszvsGDx0SRhrVNcljNn2kW41FKQbOZJ-mcjG9UvMvmcokgP19TGtg45KDD0F9bqXjIT7GlF5Dfn4vHFBiduGUWN5iUSs4F2ZUUkbXp5IiPW6iZr6Jl2uEDjGttM02csBE5etTd91aW9P3wm6tXTJ4XVZ5Ju7dbkMkeFo78IEBLq89XXDwFfKezb2cbQU-tLDq2o6SACROi5u7W1UTvcDlivuvg2Zt9HXSDaIgBtE1Lm1D6ol9KwjaH-Auc1DOM0XKjgX_wxjzzz9EEggNIT003QkfBfapBaUNSfP7VSPLwj2NBss7-SVz4UYYfYRLx3-qhBXHTB6JS1A9a45f67F6bI3hbTgjUeVoNus6KgSwhmnmHo-Ux03ZlUoeX46uGtm1_0ES5AF-IMUJ6qjTY6igMrs0IrsXQBFFdGZk728KAYsuYLMioW6a8xqfdbx8VV9PmbD-7wENopzFt2DEG48lL6edK6H5nwUdnmyWRt_FRirfIEb__ltnhzqPaI-pUEKUb7WvHI0lCtYZr1RXuIjG-_wuozVcoIFn6Gec83JkkRjr8jyQFRrKqF8SRdW_8fJ_gV8XDsqDkzqjzXlYO4_9XLda_sTeVOKHhQg=w1766-h1324-no
p5GJh0vMh801WyAVjbPxk423sMJscM0Vs2tOIx55foRymhynWo2Ti7ZNP3-wmr5_m56UmLOZAT-JTjdyNXvI9BFYv3lPc0URA6malwSeMK2kmCb1p2-xlOYx5MsH8HupF7B42hGisIxnYPWhMuyN8J5bXtF1fVRYmBi3BbkjX11m8mAuS9F1oxajacrab-qfD5JGxbLaq9vsgwE_CJLYtuG6uLRLBc3vehIp_rBmHW7wgNpgVQ_T4j29VGAJefFvIJ1km7SpZXnFAFu6Pq-FfXfT3Vrsh0to1J72VYl20fa3M04d8578WRa02VBvcY69X5yVb46wuSqiv3GzKUlvFRFYcC6p1GymbwNsiNSHDJtgvMWM2nY0Hf37bFxRbAP-UEjfVwesbg8gtniJGGC9sXUYWYB4kaXWlyzQlCNmJRuOAzEf84JcpGJ_StPV7mf78yNMPxcMz6XrWBDbb70I45piY5Nt2G1ArYv4Y1EP9whY3CySPBKazyruAiLUXiYLEg015IWj_m8ZmE0K98E0y3VwFLBn8_UoWwvPRMFJHuoFVUJYKWGRYveFJiUSSvUQb8lhbXsTQ_ENljwMUTIPTDEL9iNZSZuR7r6Txy2cKrCkUw7nCg=w1766-h1324-no