Skilhunt H03 Headlamp Mods for Waist Light

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp Mods for Waist Light

Well, you'll just have to try lots of different experiments--there's no other way to gain the info you need.

(Not even by asking random over-opinionated strangers on the Internet!)

My guess is that you are used to holding the long-range spot in your hand, and that overcomes a lot of the irritation factor. Your hand acts a bit like a steady-cam to dampen the bouncing, and you also have more control over where it points. (Control has a big effect on perceived motion--it's a lot harder to get car-sick when you are in the driver's seat, because you are in control of the twists and turns and get rigid feedback through the steering wheel.)

So maybe keep the flood on your belt, with a hand-held spot in a convenient pouch or holster? A pouch that makes it easy to stow it for two-handed eating, drinking, or map-reading, and then pull out the light for looking down the trail when needed?

That Nebo is kind of amazing for $25. I've never seen one before, and, sure, it's a crap light. But that much functionality for that little cost, it's just incredible. I should get one for the car.

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

My guess is that you are used to holding the long-range spot in your hand, and that overcomes a lot of the irritation factor.

You are exactly right. This was why I was surprised how much (HUGE) the bounce was on the spot setting when clipped to my belt. In my hand it was not a big deal even when running. The flood on the other hand looked totally solid.

So maybe keep the flood on your belt, with a hand-held spot in a convenient pouch or holster? A pouch that makes it easy to stow it for two-handed eating, drinking, or map-reading, and then pull out the light for looking down the trail when needed?

You may have suggested the best option there. I'm also wondering about the Skilhunt H02f version which has the spot reflector and the flip down diffuser. It would remain closed about 99% of the time, and just flipped down if I need to stand still and do some distant spotting and then immediately closed again. There is a review for that light here on the forum and the durability of the pivot system for that diffuser was seriously brought into question however.

That Nebo is kind of amazing for $25. I've never seen one before, and, sure, it's a crap light. But that much functionality for that little cost, it's just incredible. I should get one for the car.

I was actually quite impressed with it's quality for the $21 bucks I paid for it (including shipping). The pivot mechanism is clean and crisp (with detents). The switch has good feel and overall I'm quite pleased (though I'm no flashlight snob). I'll probably order a couple more to throw in my other vehicles as you say. Wish it didn't have the red -- a total waste (super, SUPER dim).

Thanks.

JB

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

It's a thread derail, but since it's my thread and I'll be waiting for my Skilhunts for a few days I figured I would show lampeDépêche what I did today with the Nebo Cryket.

First, here's where my Cryket adventure started: This is a Nathan Zephyr running light. It's one of the runners answers to the problem of flat headlamp lighting. Besides it getting super bad reviews as a crappy light quality wise, many people (including me) noticed that the head wasn't angled down enough to be able to keep the hand in a comfortable position while running. We were like "If you're gonna angle it specifically for running ... angle it *enough*."

20140806-204853-74933664.jpg

Thus my quest began for a light with the correct angle. This lead to swiveling head options because hey ... I don't know what the correct angle is and it might well vary from runner to runner. Models such as the Fenix MC11, the Rofis Tr20, Klarus AR10 and of course the Cryket were considered. I started with the Cryket simply because it was cheap and I wanted to see how comfortable it was to run with a correctly angled hand torch. Turns out from the playing around in the driveway last night, that what looks like the correct angle for both of us is something like 70 degrees or so.

So tonight my GF and I go on a group night trail run so we get to test it out. We sewed up an adjustable stretchy velcro hand strap with a couple tabs that the clip slips down through (the clip on the Cryket fits very solid). The idea here is that (like the Nathan running light above), if you lose your balance or something and wave your arms around, you won't lose the light.

GF will run with this and a Black Diamond Storm (170 lumen version). We'll see how it works.

15682691_10211348806180771_996111160_n.jpg

15682954_10211348807380801_2038643350_n.jpg

15644591_10211348807140795_633023607_n.jpg

15673214_10211348807300799_1652123245_n.jpg

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

Be sure to check the charger when you get it, there seem to be a lot of Nitecore fakes around.

Hmmm. That worries me, since I couldn't tell a Nitecore from a Daycore (I'm probably their dream customer then. LOL)

JB

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a thread derail, but since it's my thread and I'll be waiting for my Skilhunts for a few days I figured I would show lampeDépêche what I did today with the Nebo Cryket.

Thus my quest began for a light with the correct angle. This lead to swiveling head options because hey ... I don't know what the correct angle is and it might well vary from runner to runner. Models such as the Fenix MC11, the Rofis Tr20, Klarus AR10 and of course the Cryket were considered. I started with the Cryket simply because it was cheap and I wanted to see how comfortable it was to run with a correctly angled hand torch. Turns out from the playing around in the driveway last night, that what looks like the correct angle for both of us is something like 70 degrees or so.

So tonight my GF and I go on a group night trail run so we get to test it out. We sewed up an adjustable stretchy velcro hand strap with a couple tabs that the clip slips down through (the clip on the Cryket fits very solid). The idea here is that (like the Nathan running light above), if you lose your balance or something and wave your arms around, you won't lose the light.

GF will run with this and a Black Diamond Storm (170 lumen version). We'll see how it works.

Very cool! I am so glad that you are experimenting with this stuff. That's how the community learns.

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

The Nebo Cryket adventure just got interesting enough that I'm going to start another thread for it over in LED Flashlights (spoiler ... it started cutting off with seemingly heat related issues last night during it's first use).

JB

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened

I have some experience with waist mounted and chest mounted lights as well as headlamps. I've tried different combos of beam patterns on the waist, but my favorite is a Zebralight H602w on the waist which is a mule type light. I tried the H600w on the waist with and without diffuser on it , but I went back to the H602w for the waist. There's no bouncing effect with a mule type light. I also use my H600w which I use diffuser over on the head and then carry a throwy handheld single 18650 light. So I have a mule waist level, throwy handheld, and also a floody (not mule) headlamp. I like this setup best. I take the top band off my Zebralight and just put the light around my waist using the zebralight strap. Works great for me.

I have also used chest mounted lights using a gopro chest mount. I used to use a Gloworm X2 light mounted to the chest strap and hook it to a 4 cell 18650 pack. That worked well, but I didn't need the longer runtimes and so the Zebralights are more convenient for me and I prefer waist mount. The Gloworm X2 allow for changing optics so you could have 1 flood and one with more throw. In the US Gloworm X2s are available from actionled and offer gopro mount options. I believe Lupine lights and probably a few others can mount to a gopro chest mount too.

Last edited:

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

I have some experience with waist mounted and chest mounted lights as well as headlamps.

That's great info Wiggly -- thanks.

I'm really wishing the Spark SG6 weren't gone (going?) as it looked like it was a 'mule' style (not sure ... all new to me). I'm hoping that I can mod at least one of the H03s that I've ordered to replace the TIR lens with something clear and still retain weather resistance - it sure makes sense if one wants to avoid the visual 'bounce' that you and lampeDépêche have talked about. We'll see. Too bad the case design of the Zebra just doesn't lend itself to my structural mods as well as the Spark or Skilhunt do.

Is there some particular reason you prefer waist over chest mount? Is it more stable or out of the way or better shadows on the trail?

Thanks again. Appreciate the input from everyone.

JB

Last edited:

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

And another quick update for lampeDépêche on the Cryket.

I tried to get the issue to repeat here at the house so I could write up the issue in a new thread and quickly discovered it wasn't a heat problem as I suspected from it's behavior after that one run. Couldn't get the damn thing to misbehave even with a heat gun cooking the crap out of it.

Soon because to realize it was a *cold* problem (alkaline batteries). It was in the 30s(f) on the run and after an hour and a half it finally got cold soaked and the batteries dropped off. Same batteries ran fine here in the house for another hour or so. New set worked fine as well. I tried a new set because I was still thinking a heat issue and I thought the used set might not kick enough to get it hot, but the new set wouldn't either (that's when I started thinking "cold").

In the end (using the freezer), I realized what the issue was. The Cryket is fine (though it seems a bit sensitive to low voltage if you ask me). When my new charger arrives we'll pop in some lithium rechargeables and see how it behaves in the cold.

JB

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got it--you must have been out in some cold weather, if a handheld light still had the alkalines freezing!

The good news here is that if I *did* buy one as a glove-box light, I would definitely fit it with Lithium primaries--no leaks and longer shelf-life, as well as better temperature range.

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

Got it--you must have been out in some cold weather, if a handheld light still had the alkalines freezing!

The good news here is that if I *did* buy one as a glove-box light, I would definitely fit it with Lithium primaries--no leaks and longer shelf-life, as well as better temperature range.

Yeah, it was 30s(f) and she was wearing mittens (another reason I wanted that strap) so there wasn't much heat getting too the light from her hands.

I hope it behaves better for cold weather running with rechargeables in it. It was still really bright so I couldn't at the time imagine it was a battery issue. Shows what I know.

JB

Lexel

Enlightened

I saw your CAD pictures and thought, why not buy 2 Skilhunt H03 one with TIR one with reflector

instead of using the tube for battery you screw 2 heads on the tube in the angle you need
of couse you can adjust the angle as you want if you solder the cable directly on the driver boards
the picture shows the long tube,
but the BLF A6 short works better as you see on original tube the left head is not over the o-ring

of course you could sand down the original long tube for the 2. head to fit the o-ring and lock in the angle you want,
same for short tube sand down for the angle if screwed tight
then you can insert some sort of dummy battery to make contact with the positive contacts and tube
IMG_0548.JPG

I did a short tube mod here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-short-battery-tube-lighweight-mod&highlight=

Last edited:

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened

That's great info Wiggly -- thanks.I'm really wishing the Spark SG6 weren't gone (going?) as it looked like it was a 'mule' style (not sure ... all new to me). I'm hoping that I can mod at least one of the H03s that I've ordered to replace the TIR lens with something clear and still retain weather resistance - it sure makes sense if one wants to avoid the visual 'bounce' that you and lampeDépêche have talked about. We'll see. Too bad the case design of the Zebra just doesn't lend itself to my structural mods as well as the Spark or Skilhunt do.Is there some particular reason you prefer waist over chest mount? Is it more stable or out of the way or better shadows on the trail?Thanks again. Appreciate the input from everyone.JB
I didn't really care for the feel of the gopro chest mount and also there was some arm shadowing going on depending on where your arms are during a run. Mainly it feels more comfortable on my waist and I can easily forget they are there on the waist. I think I could easily mount 2 Zebralights on the waist and might try it out when I get chance. One Mule and one floody might work together well. I have found way to mount them to my running belt which should work even with 2 lights. Will try it out soon and see how it goes. I also wonder if mounting 2 Zebralights on one headstrap side by side will work on the waist if they are aimed properly. Maybe mount them so that they are head to head on the strap so they would be aimed close to center and the aim would be forward. Two 18650s lights on waist so you can split the output and adjust beam and gain runtime over just one. Just some ideas to think about and will try it out.

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

I saw your CAD pictures and thought, why not buy 2 Skilhunt H03 one with TIR one with reflector

One flood and one reflector was my original plan (though originally I hoped to use the SG6). With some advice from folks here on the forum (and some experimenting to confirm), I'm thinking now that a waist mounted reflector would likely bounce the beam way out front and be near useless. I'm leaning more towards one mule and one TIR, but we'll see how it goes.

It was your short tube mod thread that originally got me thinking about this configuration. Thanks for the spark.

JB

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

ThinAirDesigns

Newly Enlightened

Lexel, in your short tube mod thread you have the following picture:

PFP%20Micro-Textured%20Lens%20Large_zpsyacnej3y.jpg

Do the lenses you show above fit into the H03? If so where would I look to buy them? Per the suggestions of others in this thread, I'm thinking of getting rid of the TIR lens in one of the H03 pair and putting something more clear in to 'mule' modify it. Suggestions?

Thanks
JB