• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be 3 Clear anodizing in the future. Just no more Raw Polished.

Personally I really enjoy Raw seeing them in person. There is something very real to it. The satisfaction of it in its Rawest form. Also the wear and tear will add character and if one should want it shinny again its relatively easily to restore.

You will only have three clear anodizing sln's and the rest will be black? Why so little? That's even less quantity than the raw version.
Oh, quick question with the raw version, if the light is not used often will it still age and tarnish over time with just the air, or is it only when handled?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
not to be a Debbie downer... but all this wait was for a P60 host?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Candlepowerforums mobile app

We know all along it was a modular light that is capable of housing different light engines. Would it make the light more appealing if it house a proprietary light engine and not the P60?

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
You will only have three clear anodizing sln's and the rest will be black? 3 Clear, 4 Cerakote, and the rest is black.

Why so little? Alternative finishes increase the prices. In the case of clear anodizing it's even more so since the light has to be carefully polished and inspected to ensure the clear coat wont seal permanent visible flaws. The light is expensive as is so I don't want to make too many that will increase the price even more. Raw Polished was sold at the same price as a regular anodizing yet the work involved was much greater. Took me 1 entire day to polished just several lights. Took many attempts and clean up to get to a point where I thought it was acceptable.

That's even less quantity than the raw version. Yes. Now imagine the perfection level has to be even better than the raw as whatever you have will be sealed and shown "forever". I Can't increase the price too much to make it worth while so I figured doing three is a lot of work already. At least for batch 2 where we will be at the serial 60 mark.

Oh, quick question with the raw version, if the light is not used often will it still age and tarnish over time with just the air, I think it will age fast unless its a safe queen..I have a Raw TSLA9vn Texas Lumen that sit on the shelf and it keep looking good but I always wipe it down after I use it. 7075 might tarnish more than 6061? I am not sure. But yes expect the light to age significantly with use in a Raw sample.

or is it only when handled?

Zunkted

Newly Enlightened
We know all along it was a modular light that is capable of housing different light engines. Would it make the light more appealing if it house a proprietary light engine and not the P60?

I myself am happy with the way it is as is. But I think it would be cool if you made a bigger reflector head for it in the future if that is at all possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I myself am happy with the way it is as is. But I think it would be cool if you made a bigger reflector head for it in the future if that is at all possible?

That is possible and its in the planning actually. All we need is a new head to accommodate a larger reflector. The custom 12LED copper shell has the potential to house this Ultra Throw light engine. Body and tail cap stays ;-)

The only issue is MONEY MONEY MONEY. I have already invested a HUGE amount already and that needs to be recoup so I can recover and continue. I even debated selling the Stingray to fund this project further. I have tons of plans but nothing can happen unless I can get way more people to agree this light is worth the money. When I have a Production Black 7075 in I will send it out for further "testing/marketing". If the traction picks up then I will have all the means to expand our Bulletproof concept.

For now, let first wait to hear feedback from you guys after you guys put it through its paces with all of the different light engines.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
not to be a Debbie downer... but all this wait was for a P60 host?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Yes, nobody at CPF was "waiting" to find out it was a P60 host. This notion strikes me as quite odd.

Being a P60 host opens up the SLN to the widest possible audience. Besides that, it begs the question, a P60 vs. what alternative? Let's say it was a fully proprietary light, similar to the D4S or E07. Sure you can mix and match LEDs but now you've got a set configuration as well. The fact that it's a P60 host allows for a massive number of options, ranging from mule to 80kcd, 8000L to a cool running 600L. The best part is that the P60 is to a large extent, developed and perfected. That being the case, Vinh has gone further and created a fresh P60 light engine (perhaps the brightest ever produced) specifically to coincide with the SLN launch. I think the SLN is using the most attainable and option rich LED engine, in a rugged body, that houses the best and most practical high capacity cell. If I could wave a wand and have it done differently, I can't think of what that would have looked like.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I wish there were high powered pen lights but it seems that it's impossible to have end-to-end battery 10440/14500 configurations. I'd easily pay $300-400 for a <22mm head light with 2x IMR14500s if it could put out 3k+ lumens because it would get so much EDC use. Closest thing I could find was my FW3A, and its still too chunky to EDC :(

Even end to end 10440/14500 configurations won't produce 3000L. Is it the head size or body size you're most concerned with? In other words, if it was a straight 22mm 18650, would that work? ...because there are hosts out there that Vinh can modify for a lot less than $300-400.

Last edited:

daffy

Enlightened
I bought one of your Texas Lumens TSLA9 the triple 219c Nichia, i thought it was a 21700 when i bought it and i did get the Sanyo INR 20700 for it. I like my lights to have 1 spare cell and 20700 isnt that common so i bored out the body to take a 21700 and use a Samsung 50E in it.
This light was my intro to Nichia which is why i went with 219c 5000k in my SLN, still like my CW but i have plenty of those now.

AmericanDissent

Enlightened
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but since I agonized for so long deciding on my first drop in configuration for this light, I figured here is as good a place as any;

What is it that makes the triples better throwers than quads, all other things being equal? Is there not enough room for optimal throw optics?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of your Texas Lumens TSLA9 the triple 219c Nichia, i thought it was a 21700 when i bought it and i did get the Sanyo INR 20700 for it. I like my lights to have 1 spare cell and 20700 isnt that common so i bored out the body to take a 21700 and use a Samsung 50E in it.
This light was my intro to Nichia which is why i went with 219c 5000k in my SLN, still like my CW but i have plenty of those now.

I have 219c 5000K 90CRI in. Its very nice. kind of just neutral with no hint of anything. 219b 4500K has the rosey look that some likes. SST20 and Samsung 351 4000K has a great tint but only at higher levels. 351 actually makes a very interesting large round fill hot spot that I like very much.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but since I agonized for so long deciding on my first drop in configuration for this light, I figured here is as good a place as any;

What is it that makes the triples better throwers than quads, Triple optics is a tiny bit bigger per LED. Also if you have 3 optics nearer each other than the set up of 4 that likely stack up the beam better and give that bit of extra throw.

all other things being equal? Is there not enough room for optimal throw optics? Would be nice to make a even larger triple optics in 24mm just like the quads rather than 20mm size. We would definitely get more appreciate throw.

P1mq5Ii.jpg

star_c_star

Enlightened
I received my Sky Lumen Nguyen yesterday, the Raw Polished serial number 25.

This is the most beautiful flashlight I have, as well as being by far the most rugged. It weighs noticeably more than a typical flashlight of its size. It is a work of art that could probably survive an F5 tornado.

My choice for the P60 drop in was "Quad White2 5400K", and a mode of firefly-15%-100%. Even 15% is bright enough for practically any use except to show off. It has nice throw for a flashlight with such a small head.

Vinh, I suspect that using an LEP drop-in for a future SLN would be difficult, if not impossible, but I have to ask that question. Imagine an SLN with 1 - 2 Mcd or more throw!

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I received my Sky Lumen Nguyen yesterday, the Raw Polished serial number 25.

This is the most beautiful flashlight I have, as well as being by far the most rugged. It weighs noticeably more than a typical flashlight of its size. It is a work of art that could probably survive an F5 tornado.

My choice for the P60 drop in was "Quad White2 5400K", and a mode of firefly-15%-100%. Even 15% is bright enough for practically any use except to show off. It has nice throw for a flashlight with such a small head.

Vinh, I suspect that using an LEP drop-in for a future SLN would be difficult, if not impossible, but I have to ask that question. Imagine an SLN with 1 - 2 Mcd or more throw!

I am glad you like it so far. I remeber you ordered AB 5100mah with it. Great cell for long runtime and low heat. If you want another 1000L give samsung 30T a try. Like u I enjoy the SLN host enough to want everything in it. Even LEP tech someday. :)

daffy

Enlightened
I am glad you like it so far. I remeber you ordered AB 5100mah with it. Great cell for long runtime and low heat. If you want another 1000L give samsung 30T a try. Like u I enjoy the SLN host enough to want everything in it. Even LEP tech someday. :)
I've got 2 of those AB 21700s already which ill try, 2 vapcell 21700 4000mAh(rewrapped vtc6A) 30A that i will try as well once the SLN arrives.

star_c_star

Enlightened

Vinh,

What is the approximate lumen output of the SLN I ordered, with "Quad White2 5400K"?