• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Today I received the first of several SkyLumen Nguyen flashlights I ordered and am very impressed. This is a serious, get the job done, meant to last piece of lighting equipment. No frills design just like some of the highest end camera manufacturers. It can easily be handled and mode levels changed with work gloves on. Vinh should be very proud of this project finally coming to fruition. I'm sure his Dad would be proud of him. I know I am and will be proud to own several of these lights that are the product of a company Vinh and his Dad started years ago. If you can't afford a SkyLumen Nguyen just yet, save up for one, it will be worth it. Might be the last flashlight you will ever need to purchase. It's that good. It's that durable.

CLB

Newly Enlightened
CLB, what setup did you go with? Quad? Lil Vortex?
No, dotCPF, I went with a triple SST 20, which you might consider either "meh" or "sane," depending on your perspective. I'm probably in a minority, but I think of the SLN as a super rugged utility light, in the vein of Malkoff or Elzetta, or even McGizmo. For absolute maximum lumens or candela, I personally would not opt for a 1x21700 light with a sub-one inch bezel opening, not even one as good as the SLN. I'm also a believer in "Archimedes Peak," but, heh, to each his own. What configuration did you get, dotCPF, and why?

daffy

Enlightened
Reflector P60vn will get thermal epoxy from pill to reflector for proper HS. Should have done this long ago but used inferior superglue instead.
Does that mean 1st batch has superglue? Can we send it back for upgrading?
Mine left Sydney on Monday, its now Thursday and useless AusPost always take this long..man i hate our postal service..

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Does that mean 1st batch has superglue? Can we send it back for upgrading? No. the build is irreversible.

Mine left Sydney on Monday, its now Thursday and useless AusPost always take this long..man i hate our postal service..
What P60vn did you order?

Keitho

Enlightened
I send/receive a lot of emails in a day, but none make me smile as much as the one with the subject line, "[FONT=&quot]Vinh Nguyen has sent you a package[/FONT]".

Can't wait to receive what will probably almost always be the "right tool for the job," as in "always use the right tool for the job; the right tool is always a hammer; any tool can be used as a hammer."

daffy

Enlightened
xpe-2 blue triple- fairly sure at this point i should have gone with quad sst40, can this be done if i send it back?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, dotCPF, I went with a triple SST 20, which you might consider either "meh" or "sane," depending on your perspective. I'm probably in a minority, but I think of the SLN as a super rugged utility light, in the vein of Malkoff or Elzetta, or even McGizmo. For absolute maximum lumens or candela, I personally would not opt for a 1x21700 light with a sub-one inch bezel opening, not even one as good as the SLN. I'm also a believer in "Archimedes Peak," but, heh, to each his own. What configuration did you get, dotCPF, and why?

LOL CLB, I am completely with everything you said!

I was originally just going to load my M361 219b v3 into the SLN because I am beyond spent on flashlight funds for this year and had some rather unexpected medical bills. However, Lil Vortex is so cool I HAD to try it out, so many LEDs in one standard P60 sized dropin- that's just crazy and in a single cell light is really quite a feat I think- so I could not ignore it!

My Lil Vortex has 4 XP-L HI in the center and alternating 2700K SST-20s/ 4000K LH351Ds around the edges. The point of Lil Votex is output, but I also like warmer lights and higher CRI, so I kinda went right for a middle ground. I'm going to be staring at the business end of this plenty on firefly, so wanted to make it interesting and have different LEDs to look at.

Typing that out, I now see how friggen nerdy that sounds! hahahaha

I am a fully converted believer of the Archimedes Peak as 90% of the lights I use are at most 400 lumens and I have found that 20~ lumens, and 200~ lumens in a reflector-based light is the most I often need (and can't forget moonlight modes!). I still have a soft spot for super-throw, and those tend to be my only high-output lights. I have a funny feeling that M361 is going to find it's way into this host a couple months down the line, and Lil Vortex will eventually make it's way into a Texas Lumens light. Or maybe I'll just get another SLN!

Patriot

Flashaholic
It's been really fun hearing back from all of you SLN owners and thank you for taking the time to share about them!

I'm hoping Vinh will be emailing me soon about building 027. Fingers crossed.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me neither daffy, should be arriving today though. I hope yours does as well, must do if mine went to Alaska for a few days and made it back out to mass! She went totally MIA the past two days. Lost power last night too, and all I could think of was my cold, lonely SLN #011 somewhere out there in the big dark night.

CLB

Newly Enlightened
I hope all you other guys get your SLN's soon: I'm very interested to read everyone's comments.

By the way, I'll add two of my own here, in case they might be helpful. First, as I received it, the output on my light (triple SST 20) stepped down very quickly from level 100 and even level 33, although the light was not all hot. I don't know what temperature the sensor was set for, but, at Vinh's suggestion, I turned the sensor off, and now the light sustains output on all levels. On turbo (level 100), it does not get too warm too hold, even after several minutes. Please note that the advice to turn off the temperature sensor was made specifically for my triple, and might not be a good idea for the Lil Vortex, for example.

Second, my light happened to ship with the programming lock turned on, which I only discovered with help from Vinh. So, if you can't seem to program your light, don't panic like I did. Try toggling off the programming lock.

Yes, DotCPF, I plan on trying the Malkoff M361 Nichia v3 in my SLN, too. And it looks like PoliceScannerMan has already tried another Malkoff drop-in. Long live the P60!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
And it looks like PoliceScannerMan has already tried another Malkoff drop-in. Long live the P60!

Yes!!! I did have to wrap the Malkoff in foil for it to work, which made it have better heat sink anyways. Carried it around for about a hour last nite with the kids. Love it!!

daffy

Enlightened
Mines in AU thats the last scan entry i see, it will most likely arrive next week.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes!!! I did have to wrap the Malkoff in foil for it to work, which made it have better heat sink anyways. Carried it around for about a hour last nite with the kids. Love it!!

You got to carry it for Halloween?! You lucky cat, you!! I'm very jealous.... but happy for you.:)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Camo is nice but it cost way more than regular cerakote. I dint know it was that much when I sent it in for the job...Cost me $150 just for the Cerakote job!!!

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Lumen , I sent you a pm. I can possibly help you with your funds.