SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Bizill

Newly Enlightened
With my pre-order I'll have a unit that I can now more readily "set it and forget it" when it comes to charging my 8 cell Fenix TK-75 4,000 lumen. As it is now I just balance charge 4 cells in series but I feel nervous even walking out of the room. I don't trust dummy chargers with low amp charging either. This MC3000 should serve me well. Still limited to 4 at a time, but this product really appeals to me greatly.

romteb

Enlightened
Is there on the MC3000 a mode where one drops a battery in a slot and it starts charging, or button pushing is always mandatory ?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with the very simple Xtar VP2, unless you intend to use the 250ma charging rate, to choose the 1A charging rate, you need 2 presses of a button to charge almost all 18650s.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's not a so-called smart charger like Nitcore i4, that is true.

but how hard can it be to hit the 1 button labeled START ;)

fnsooner

Enlightened
it's not a so-called smart charger like Nitcore i4, that is true.

but how hard can it be to hit the 1 button labeled START ;)

The dummy mode litmus test will be graded by if I can charge two AAA Eneloops and one 18650 without my reading glasses. If all I need to know is where the start switch is to do basic charging, I will be happy.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kreisl, is production and delivery still on schedule? Is SkyRC satisfied with the number of pre-orders? THANKS!
production and delivery are not on schedule, there is one delay in the final stage of assembly, and they don't even have the retail cardboard boxes printed yet. interestingly sky top tiers are afaik not keen on mc3k sales numbers knowing that it is too expensive to become anywhere near a best-seller in their program, they have other fish to fry. to them it's not a vehicle to generate profit but really merely a side project to bring some sky to non rc hobby people. seriously, cost and money-making had never been a design factor or concern. the aim was simply to make it "the most joyful charger" in the round battery scene.

:D

fnsooner

Enlightened
As much as I am looking forward to getting this charger, I am good with them getting it right. My money is down, I can be patient. Keeping us updated is all I am asking of Skyrc.

ptolemy

Enlightened
I have this unit for a week now but have not had a chance to use it. Finally tonight, I tried to use it but I could definitely use a manual.

Mine wasn't retail box, of course, but right now, I am not even sure how to run through options. Menu seems not very intuitive...

here is a pic from today. This is a first time use situation. I have to spend time with it

PvdIvHQ.jpg

HKJ

Flashaholic
Why are 15270(RCR2) cells not listed as usable in this charger? Just an oversight I guess?

There are many LiIon sizes, you nearly need a separate manual to list all of them. With 15270 you might need a spacer (I have not measured the length yet), but it will have no problem charging them.

Yes, I am sure it can charge them. Interesting nonetheless that they don't list such a relatively common cell as being usable in this charger. The shortest they list is XX340 which is some 70mm longer than a CR2/15270 - so maybe they only list cells than can be charged without a spacer.

There are many LiIon sizes, you nearly need a separate manual to list all of them. With 15270 you might need a spacer (I have not measured the length yet), but it will have no problem charging them.

Last edited:

billcushman

Enlightened
Is the 'standard' not 5.5mm external diam x 2.5mm internal diam (ie., internal 2.5 not 2.1)?

My two Maha C9000s and LiitoKala Lii-500 use 5.5mm/2.1mm concoctors. Many other devices also use this size, but others use different sizes. Many LED string lights also use 5.5mm/2.1mm concoctors. Perhaps I should have left out the word standard. In any case my question is: Does the MC3000 use a 5.5mm/2.1mm DC Power Connector? If not, what size does it use.