SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

kappa7

Newly Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

The App uses Bluetooth Low Energy, available in Android since Version 4.3.
! Android OS versions prior 4.4 are out of Google-support (safety patches) !

The App V2.5 is operating here, with bugs.

Bug #1:
App will crash with Android language settings where decimal mark is decimal comma (","), as in Germany.

Preconditions:
  • MC3000 Hardware Version 1.4, Firmware Version 1.02
  • Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 5.0 with german language setting
  • MC3000 App V2.5

Example: Editing a setup voltages will first be displayed with decimal dot, e.g. 4.20 V. After modifying or reentring the voltage will be displayed with decimal comma, e.g. 4,20V or 4,10V. On saving such a setting the app crashes immediately. Maybe during a text-to-number-conversion-routine.

Temporary workaround: Choose language setting with decimal dot ("."), e.g. English (United Kingdom) or English (United States). This is annoying in other apps (Mail, spreadsheet, ...).

- Bug 1 is still present on version 2.8: this cause the app to be completely useless!
I'm sure that (fortunately) these are not the same guys that work on the firmware, if not the charger would be completely broken and unusable.

dssguy1

Newly Enlightened

Big difference the reversing makes. I did cutout the grill for better airflow, and also seems bit quiter without the grill(less turbulence) , but reversing it also might have role in the quitness.

Ah, another "remove the grill" convert. My charger runs cool as a cucumber now that the fan is reversed and no grill is impeding the CFM of the fan!

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

This charger keeps suprising.
Oh , and save the current .apk from playstore in case they update the app and decide to "fix" this.

the app will "fix" this very soon.

very.

:p

morcegolas

Newly Enlightened
My micro Usb cable from Anker has arrived! Now it's just wait for the FW update! ;)

060fbccf688782536f049a8fa4f3efd3.jpg
c5ea7bbb4e007da5fcde733e097ac071.jpg

billcushman

Enlightened
My micro Usb cable from Anker has arrived! Now it's just wait for the FW update! ;)

Be sure to download and use PCLS to become familiar with it before you plan to do a FW update. You can download the PCLS.exe file directly on the ProgressiveRC site. Be sure to plug in your PC and disable sleep so it doesn't stop PCLS from recording. Some tests will take many hours. If your PC cuts off the bottom of the screen, everything you need still works and when you save the file everything will be there.

tjh

Enlightened

Oh , and save the current .apk from playstore in case they update the app and decide to "fix" this.

I would also expect the charger's FW will be updated so this isn't possible.

"Safety checks" shouldn't be a function of an app, they should be a function of the firmware controlling the charger.

The fact this isn't the case (i.e. an app can make it discharge 4 x 2A) is somewhat alarming.

chemEJoe

Newly Enlightened

I would also expect the charger's FW will be updated so this isn't possible.

"Safety checks" shouldn't be a function of an app, they should be a function of the firmware controlling the charger.

The fact this isn't the case (i.e. an app can make it discharge 4 x 2A) is somewhat alarming.

Good point, that saving an old app possibly won't work with new FW.

On the ability to go 4x2A being alarming, I thought this thread as I read it means it's not alarming. That is, when discharge A is too high and temp increases, the FW will cut the discharge current? All that discussion on fan mods and then people saying it's not practical anyway as you don't do it at 4x1A often anyway, and the FW will cut current?

tjh

Enlightened

Good point, that saving an old app possibly won't work with new FW.

On the ability to go 4x2A being alarming, I thought this thread as I read it means it's not alarming. That is, when discharge A is too high and temp increases, the FW will cut the discharge current? All that discussion on fan mods and then people saying it's not practical anyway as you don't do it at 4x1A often anyway, and the FW will cut current?
And what if there's a programming error in the next version of the app and it tries to discharge at 20A and then the magic smoke comes out? Or sets the charge termination current at 42.0 volts?

You missed my point. Charger/Battery safety should NOT be a function of the app.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

very very nice premium cable there morcegolas
i am jealous now:faint:

Last edited:

bosko90

Newly Enlightened

Be sure to download and use PCLS to become familiar with it before you plan to do a FW update. You can download the PCLS.exe file directly on the ProgressiveRC site. Be sure to plug in your PC and disable sleep so it doesn't stop PCLS from recording. Some tests will take many hours. If your PC cuts off the bottom of the screen, everything you need still works and when you save the file everything will be there.
Where did you find PCLS.exe? I download on that site (ProgresiveRC) and it is MC3000_Monitor.exe

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Yes P=VI

It is 6.45am...it is time to sleep. it's because of you that I go to bed later. [emoji106]
Thirst for knowledge is what kept you awake :)
Ah, another "remove the grill" convert. My charger runs cool as a cucumber now that the fan is reversed and no grill is impeding the CFM of the fan!
Yep, better that way imo. I also grinded the hole bit wider than the fan blades, and there was no need for grommet and modifying the clip so the fan fits without catching on the plastic.
the app will "fix" this very soon.

very.

:p
You told them didnt ya, you traitor :p.

Joking aside, understandable that 4x2A wouldnt work great because of heat issues(even on fan up config) and would need custom cooling. But 2x2A would be no trouble for any unit with the fan in correct position.
2A discharge was one of the selling points for me, as it allows to more precisely get the runtime we would get from higher draw devices.
I know there are lot of flashlights that are 2A draw.
Now that cat is out of the bag, it will be very unfortunate to lose that functionality in a later app/firmware revision.
Maybe you could push on the development team to allow 2x2A in the new firmware?

Also is there a reason behind discharge current going down from 2A to 1A if you insert battery in one of the other slots for charging?
If there would be no harm, then SkyRC should also remove that limitation.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it is written total time in the manual but there is something wrong between my 2 statements before.

If it took 4,5heure for a charge, I should have the cut time error if I set it to 360min for a C>D>C
(2x4.5=9.0hours...540min? But never had it.
I have tested CUT TIME parameter with 4 different programs (CHARGE+C.RESTING; REFRESH; CYCLE C>D>C N=1), [01] in #1, [02] in #2, [03] in #3, and [04] in #4, on Eneloop and including 5min RESTING pauses between the charge/discharge routines. I set the CUT TIME parameter to 60min or 120min, such that the slot would be cut before finishing the program. Everything worked as expected!, when TOTAL TIME reached 60min or 120min, the slot threw the message "Timer Cut". At that point the cycling slots were in the 2nd charge routine, like in your test. I also did similar tests on 10440 LiIon's and again TOTAL TIME cut as expected by me. I couldn't reproduce the bug, sorry, your observation remains UNCONFIRMED. - Or maybe it is not a bug related to CUT TIME itself but originating from the SAVE/SAVE TO feature. There was a recent bug fix regarding the latter, see (k#37).

Now that cat is out of the bag, it will be very unfortunate to lose that functionality in a later app/firmware revision.
Maybe you could push on the development team to allow 2x2A in the new firmware?
Sorry, that bug is already fixed in the v1.04d firmware which i've just installed, see (k#39):nana:
Result: When you try to run -2A LiIon in all 4 slots from the android app, the device would only run with 4x-1A, which is correct. Removing 3 LiIon's and restarting the program from the app, the device does a 1x-2A discharge, also correct.

As mentioned earlier, we'll revisit the topic 'Exploration of Max./Min. Spec Boundaries', in future. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

romteb

Enlightened
I did the fan mod, removed the grill completely, not need to play with shims, added benefit is that the fan is now as silent as it probably can be (used to be very noisy) and the air flow should be better.

I might screw/glue a small metalic grill to protect the fan in the future, for now the charger is completely sedentary and the protection useless.

bosko90

Newly Enlightened
On youtube i saw, that could be charger use as power bank. That guy just press enter and down simultaneously, charger turns on and charge phone. I try these with my and nothing is happening. Is these option disabled in new FW?

MarioJP

Enlightened
On youtube i saw, that could be charger use as power bank. That guy just press enter and down simultaneously, charger turns on and charge phone. I try these with my and nothing is happening. Is these option disabled in new FW?
More like that circuitry has been completely removed. It was impractical for its size and adds to the cost.

bosko90

Newly Enlightened
OK, I agree, is not really portable. but for camping, where you have a car (I know.. car charger) and lot of 18650 batteries, it is useful. Now the USB port is unusable. At home i have wall charger and I don't need 0,9kg plastic and electronic for that. But it's ok charger is not designed for this stuff :)

Ps: the rail in 4 slot is moving back and front :/.. it is possible to fix it?

Video link: [video]https://vid.me/EnYT[/video]

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I have tested CUT TIME parameter with 4 different programs (CHARGE+C.RESTING; REFRESH; CYCLE C>D>C N=1), [01] in #1, [02] in #2, [03] in #3, and [04] in #4, on Eneloop and including 5min RESTING pauses between the charge/discharge routines. I set the CUT TIME parameter to 60min or 120min, such that the slot would be cut before finishing the program. Everything worked as expected!, when TOTAL TIME reached 60min or 120min, the slot threw the message "Timer Cut". At that point the cycling slots were in the 2nd charge routine, like in your test. I also did similar tests on 10440 LiIon's and again TOTAL TIME cut as expected by me. I couldn't reproduce the bug, sorry, your observation remains UNCONFIRMED. - Or maybe it is not a bug related to CUT TIME itself but originating from the SAVE/SAVE TO feature. There was a recent bug fix regarding the latter, see (k#37).

It seems to work ok for now. I don't understand the K#37 however.

1- I did many C>D>C when I received the charger. The time cut was set at 360min (saved). Never had the cut time error even if it took longer for the total process. That's why I thought the cut time was the time to charge or discharge or charge and not for the total time of the process.

2- Last time, I have changed it to 480min (saved), because of a lower charge and it worked as expected. That's why I asked if the time cut was for the full process as written in the manual.

It looks like since I changed the value and saved, it works even if I have the same parameters at the beginning when it was not working. I will keep an eye on it. (Is it what you mean in k#37?)

Today, I tried again and worked has expected.

Devon

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this has been mentioned but an interesting condition occurred for me the other day.

I had a circuit breaker trip on the circuit the mc3000 was plugged into. I was logging via PC via USB and charging 4 batteries.

When the power failed the charger started drawing power from the USB and gave the low voltage warning. It didn't revert back to the power brick when power was restored, I had to reset it by unplugging the power and the USB.

Unusual I thought.