SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
Data Explorer installation under Windows Vista

I'm not certain if this is the forum I should be posting feedback for the Data Explorer. I did post something to the Data Explorer Mailinglists. Also posted to Java development who recognizes the problem but offers no solution only a couple of work-a-rounds that haven't worked for me.

The problem is I'm unable to install and run the Data Explorer under Windows Vista.

My PC is currently running Windows Vista x64 with SP2 and all the latest fixpacks. Has been running quite well with no complaints.

After installing and attempt to run the Data Explorer I receive an error message: "This application requires a Java Runtime Environment > 1.8.0 (64 bit). Same error occurs also with the 32 bit Data Explorer. When you click on the error message your re-directed to a Java url to download the latest Java version.

Java installation produces a Java 1603 error message and doesn't appear Java is fully installed.

Java 1603 error: https://java.com/en/download/help/error_1603.xml

The Java work-a-rounds haven't worked because 1. I'm unable to locate a Data Explorer object to uninstall and 2. there is no Java Control Panel.

From a command prompt "java -version" produces

java version "1.8.0_121"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)

Perhaps I can try to uninstall Java manually and/or perhaps try to restore the system to a previous version.

I'm wondering if anyone else within the candle power forums, running Vista, may have experienced the same problem and possibly found a solution.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Data Explorer installation under Windows Vista

From a command prompt "java -version" produces

java version "1.8.0_121"

javakreislfdukr.png

:shrug:

Last edited:

usrnam

Newly Enlightened

From a command prompt "java -version" produced same results as XP however Java is installed or being installed under Vista, a different Windows engine version (6.0.6002) which is closer to Windows 7 (Windows version 6.1.xxxx) (Windows XP = Windows version 5.x.xxxx)

Vista Windows Version

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

java -version
java version "1.8.0_121"

Last edited:

cpa

Newly Enlightened

usrnam

Newly Enlightened

You need to download the JRE x64 bit version as well.
Surely you are using a x32 web browser for downloading JRE, and you are only downloading the 32 bit version. You NEED also the x64 bit version...
You can do it from this link:
http://javadl.oracle.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=218833_e9e7ea248e2c4826b92b3f075a80e441
This link is for the jre-8u121-windows-x64.exe

Hope it helps

That Java installation file works. I was downloading from the download links provided by the Java Update and other Java webpages that directed me to a jxpiinstall.exe __ aka jre-8u121-windows-i586.exe. I think perhaps because my Firefox browser is 32-bit.

jre-8u121-windows-i586.exe wasn't installing or installing correctly.

However jre-8u121-windows-x64.exe installs just fine without any problems and errors.

Firefox doesn't have a 64 bit browser that runs under Vista.

Thanks for the correction and the download link.

usrnam

Newly Enlightened

Is your DEX working now?

DEX 64-bit on Vista 64-bit?

:duh2:

Yes, Dex 64-bit under Vista x64 is now running ok. :thumbsup:

(As you're probably already aware).

Initially Dex searches for a connected device. If the MC3000 isn't turn on and connected to a USB port Dex produces an error message no USB device can be found. Dex doesn't appear to have a USB port option, USB is automatically found and selected when a usb charger is connected and turned on. If no batteries are installed to the MC3000 Dex won't display any information when "Start Gathering" is selected.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote control of DEX running on a Raspberry Pi
Tutorial or recipe version 0.001a

Here are 3 or 4 solutions (welcome to linux)
i am fascinated by the idea that 'MC3000 can do offline logging' (offline = the PC is shut down as is bluetooth and wifi during the logging time, neither of them is required during the logging, hence one could call it 'offline logging'), even if the raspi needs to be powered from the mc3k 5V/2.1A USB power output port. i shouldn't praise this :cool: possibility yet because i prefer to witness and experience it myself first. Ravel and the dex author have been using earlier raspi models, I am gonna be using the very latest which is model 3 B. my main motivation to buy a raspi setup (my new acquisitions required to get started: raspi PCB, raspi protective case w/ cooling, 16GB Class 10 microSD card, HDMI cable, USB keyboard, USB mouse) is the testing of the mc3k offline logging, how convenient, how stable, how serious it is. If it works out well for me noob —and i am a total newbie concerning linux and never wanted to get into it, not even a foot deep, and i am no coder either— then maybe some other will feel inspired too ;), and maybe we'll agree that the raspi option should become more widely known. Maybe i'll then shout it out on my Twitter channel lol.

Youtube has a couple of diy project videos on 'portable pi', i.e. a raspi with a slightly bigger case including 1x18650, touch screen, or non-touch screen plus mini keyboard, but i find the 'using smartphone display as wireless raspi screen' videos more intriguing.

While my personal incentives aren't substantial but extremely limited, the few ones do add up:
1) mc3k offline logging (major incentive and prolly the only raspi project i'll ever do:nana:)
2) free mathematica (minor incentive yet i always wanted a full mma installation on a handheld computi so it's a most welcome bonbon and just lovely to have, finally)
3) attractive joyful 2mm thick aluminum casing found, only 16$ on FT! (joy of ownership is one of the most powerful reasons why we buy nice flashlights, nice watches, nice knives, and nice smartphones, we like, appreciate, or cherish nice material things, don't we. the wicked one is imho over the top and outdated in no time think of raspi model 4 etc but this one seems super nice at a fair price and btw its construction also allows for plug'n play LCD's including touchscreens)

I'll keep you guys updated.. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cpa

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in this too... I'll buy a Raspi model 3B as well... I don't like to have my computer on during 30 or 40 hours during the cycle process, so having a Raspbi for it could be useful.
I think the MC3000 sould have a microSD port for logging purposes BTW.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the MC3000 sould have a microSD port for logging purposes BTW.
Thanks for your interest!
i placed the various orders today and hopefully i'll get the stuff soon. The other day i also bought a SDcard/microSDcard multi combo reader for my XP-machine from a local shop. The geman vendor is out of stock of the raspi 3B, so i am not sure when my order will be fulfilled. I am mostly looking forward to the casing lol. It got great leviews on FT and AX.

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your interest!
i placed the various orders today and hopefully i'll get the stuff soon. The other day i also bought a SDcard/microSDcard multi combo reader for my XP-machine from a local shop. The geman vendor is out of stock of the raspi 3B, so i am not sure when my order will be fulfilled. I am mostly looking forward to the casing lol. It got great leviews on FT and AX.

Keep us posted

i shouldn't praise this :cool: possibility yet because i prefer to witness and experience it myself first. Ravel and the dex author have been using earlier raspi models,

I have a model 3 as well, not tried it yet with DEX+MC3000

major incentive and prolly the only raspi project i'll ever do:nana:)

ohh no:mecry:, you are not going to switch then to linux then :)

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
Re: 2nd gen dreamcharger presented on IFA Berlin 2014…

4 18650 is 1 amp max discharge, 1 18650 is 2 amp max discharge
can i use my smartphone as screen for raspi 3B through bluetooth 4.1 (BLE) or does it have to be wlan?
I believe so, I think there are tutorials around, but better go wifi or LAN on a proper screen

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
I'm not up on the the Raspi or the Raspberry. Haven't used a handheld in quite a while. Use to have several handhelds using MS kernels. I've been thinking of getting a pod such as an iPod, etc. There are iPods running Linux.

The Raspi runs a Linux OS (kernel)? You would be logging through a Linux DEX running on the Raspi?

Same sort of MC3000 control through a Linux Dex connection with other handhelds or pods running Linux? Or is this connection your referring to, specific to the Raspi?

The MC3000 is capable of logging "offline" when only connected to a USB flash drive without some sort of software connection?

Last edited:

cpa

Newly Enlightened
@ravel @kreisl
I've just already got the DEX running under the Raspi... I have not tested yet, because my MC3000 has not been delivered yet, but with the ravel's easy recipe It has been very quick....

Here you have an snapshot

Thanks to @Ravel for the recipe!!!!...

Edit: the raspbian distribution has installed the VNC, so it's no necessary to install tightvnc. Just activate under Preferences->Rasberry Pi configuration and configure it as you want...
Edit 2: I think the user "pi" must be member of the uucp group. I've added it with "sudo usermod -a -G uucp pi"

Last edited:

ddg

Newly Enlightened
It took a bit over a month but finally got the thread all read! My mc3000 will arrive in another week or two. Lots and lots of good info contained in this thread, along with some... filler, lol. Appreciate all the work, knowledge and time.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edit: the raspbian distribution has installed the VNC, so it's no necessary to install tightvnc. Just activate under Preferences->Rasberry Pi configuration and configure it as you want...
Edit 2: I think the user "pi" must be member of the uucp group. I've added it with "sudo usermod -a -G uucp pi"

i have got the raspi today but something's missing here ... :thinking:

mc3kraspi01sesc0.jpg

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
@ravel @kreisl
I've just already got the DEX running under the Raspi... I have not tested yet, because my MC3000 has not been delivered yet, but with the ravel's easy recipe It has been very quick....

cool :wave: congrats

This is quite likely, maybe forgotten I had done it, I will edit my post since I already had instructed
sudo chgrp -R uucp /var/lock

Last edited:

cpa

Newly Enlightened
i have got the raspi today but something's missing here ... :thinking:

mc3kraspi01sesc0.jpg

Two things...
-> Keyboard
-> Raspi Case

The second one is not really necessary... ;)

Edit: Also you'll need some batteries for test it...

cpa

Newly Enlightened
If you want to automatize the autorun of the DEX when the Raspi is starting up, you just edit the next file:
/home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

and add this line at the bottom:
Code:
java -D32 -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -jar -Xms64m -Xmx1024m /home/pi/mydataexplorer/DataExplorer/DataExplorer.jar

Note: If you have installed the DataExplorer in other path than the "mydataexplorer", you must adapt the line to it.

Hope this would be useful for you... ;)