SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

fmc1

Enlightened
Wow, a lot of info to digest. Thanks to all who contributed to this monster thread, lol. So, I want one, but I want to make sure I get the most recent model possible. I see several retailers selling what look like previous hardware versions. Can somebody please recommend a seller or sellers that would have the most current hardware and firmware for sale? Thank you do anyone who can offer some guidance.

What country do you live in?

capitanharlock

Newly Enlightened
Recently gor my MC3000, but I can't connect it via Bluetooth to my android Phone.
The Mc3000 app keeps saying "charger not found", and if I try to connect it using the Android bluetooth options it asks me a passkey...

Any hints?

:sssh:

fmc1

Enlightened
Hi fmc1, I'm in Florida, USA

I would highly recommend you buy from a US based seller because of the warranty. The last page of the manual states the factory warranty is one year but only valid in China and that dealers handle warranty claims outside of China. You can check Ebay and Amazon for US based sellers. Both Ebay and Amazon sellers tell you where the product ships from. Then contact those sellers asking about the newer case containing the stronger slider spring pins made June 2016 and later. Also ask about warranty service if becomes necessary. Don't worry about firmware because it's end user upgradeable and very easy to do.

Last edited:

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a plan tia!

Apparently only the download URL within the recipe needs to be updated. Anywho I managed to update my raspi's DEX to the latest DEX version and i've been running it nonstop for logging mc3k, which is why i haven't tested the new Android mc3k app version aka V3.71:

As everyone ;) remembers, one cannot run the USB PC LINK (pcls, dex, raspi, whateva) and the Bluetooth link at the same time. Please don't ask me what happens if you still try to use both link channels at the same time
:poof:

:crackup:
I downloaded the 3.30 version, it worked on the raspi straight away.
The recipe is indeed still ok
I will update the recipe link in the hour.

fneuf

Newly Enlightened
  • Sometime my MC3000 unit emits a mid tone loud buzzing sound while the fan goes on. Is it a known or expected behavior? Resonance anywhere with the housing? Any simple way to take care of that?
  • The coils of the sliders are surprisingly though. It is up to the point that on the first uses I've managed to bend some of the "-" terminal big metal sliders by not pulling them from their very bottom. I've seen others being slightly bent just by the normal presence of a battery pushing against it. Hopefully plasticity level was not reached on any of those occurences and I've managed to unbend them. Is it also a normal behavior that just requires utmost precaution when inserting batteries?

On a plus side, I really don't know why I've waited years to convince myself to buy this amazing charger. The level of control and precision it gives is truly incredible. Sometimes the assertion "money BUYS quality" is a true statement.

Last edited:

STIXXXXX

Newly Enlightened
My MC3000 died today after 13 months :(
It shows a MCP 3242-1 error. Located the two ADCs - they look quite okay (didn´t expect anything else ;))
So, Im going to buy another one. Is there still something to have in mind, e.g. serial numbers?
Or maybe a new device came out / is coming out, so I can upgrade, when I buy a new one anyways?
Greets from GER
STIX

edit: found a good price on hobbyking.com - any experiences with this shop? They don´t put the hardware/firmware version in the description...

Last edited:

Wrongway

Newly Enlightened
I have managed to install DEX on a RPi3 after a bit of tinkering and head scratching. I will be accessing it on a Macbook using RealVNC which also seems to work. I saw mention about using the MC3000 USB output to power the RPi. Has this been tried with a RPi 3 as I think the official power supply for the version 3 is 2.5A. Also when setting up DEX and choosing the device there was 2 entries for MC3000 one was just MC3000 and the other had 2 letters after it. I used the first one, is that correct?

Ravel

Newly Enlightened
I have managed to install DEX on a RPi3 after a bit of tinkering and head scratching. I will be accessing it on a Macbook using RealVNC which also seems to work. I saw mention about using the MC3000 USB output to power the RPi. Has this been tried with a RPi 3 as I think the official power supply for the version 3 is 2.5A. Also when setting up DEX and choosing the device there was 2 entries for MC3000 one was just MC3000 and the other had 2 letters after it. I used the first one, is that correct?

I posted a recipe to run DEX on raspi (see first page of thread for the link)
Did you use it ? Did you struggle with something else ?

You can indeed use the MC3000 to power the raspi. I suggested and it was tried a few pages ago.
(I do not know if you can power and get the data to DEX at the same time though the USB cable,
I suppose so but did not try)

Did not notice two devices.
Whichever works you will soon know

fneuf

Newly Enlightened
From Europe a great price and a quick delivery can be obtained by ordering it from NKON. They have the lastest FW and HW version in stock (or at least they had when I ordered mine 2 weeks ago).

STIXXXXX

Newly Enlightened
From Europe a great price and a quick delivery can be obtained by ordering it from NKON. They have the lastest FW and HW version in stock (or at least they had when I ordered mine 2 weeks ago).
Thanks, I ordered some LiIons from nkon before. But now the MC3000 comes from hobbyking in Netherlands. Already arrived in Germany. I will report, when it arrives tomorrow...
edit: Arrived now and FW: 1.13 HW:>=1.3
Seems okay, huh?

Last edited:

fneuf

Newly Enlightened
Based on the illustration of this product on their website, it at least looks like they have the latest HW revision. You should be good.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
(I do not know if you can power and get the data to DEX at the same time though the USB cable,
I suppose so but did not try)

Did not notice two devices.
(btw i am on vacation until the end of AO2018, if ne1 wonders why i haven't been posting for weeks)

yes it works, one short USB (charge) cable to power raspi3 (rated 2.5A) from the mc3k usb output (rated 2.1A) and at the same time running DEX on the raspi3 (rated 2.5A) logging mc3k through another USB (data) cable. i use this setup all the time, so yes it works. at the same time i stream music on the raspi.

in DEX you can choose "MC3000" or "MC3000 Set". The difference is how DEX internally processes and saves the data. I find the latter more convenient because it lets the user save an entire complex DEX session with a single click.

i documented the installation of older DEX version in #19 and the installation of new DEX version in #21 of my raspi story time thread :naughty:

Last edited:

STIXXXXX

Newly Enlightened
yours is the latest. nice.

does anything happen when you long-press the <ENTER> key on HW in SETUP? :sssh:

Yeah, found this out randomly as soon as I unboxed it :D (I scrolled through the options and wanted to save at the end - wondered, if I had seen this in the broken model before)
Showing the Mac-Adress...

STIXXXXX

Newly Enlightened
Hmm what's that? Got a cell phone pic? :D
??
Well, it shows HW-Version >=1.3 After longpress it shows the mac-address...
Was there any unit showing >=1.4 around? Or was it just printed on the PCB? I can´t remember my old MC3k...

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe. Would be cool to see a photo is all.

( Exact hw version is printed on PCB only. )
(( Yours could be 1.5 or something. Which'd be still Greater Or Equal than 1.3 as the LCD shows ))

Last edited:

Wrongway

Newly Enlightened
I posted a recipe to run DEX on raspi (see first page of thread for the link)
Did you use it ? Did you struggle with something else ?

I did see the recipe Ravel and it was very useful. I had worked with Raspberry Pi's a bit but there was still areas I am unfamiliar with. I have SSH'd into them before but was my first attempt at using VNC. I initially tried running it from SSH which didn't work of course.

yes it works, one short USB (charge) cable to power raspi3 (rated 2.5A) from the mc3k usb output (rated 2.1A) and at the same time running DEX on the raspi3 (rated 2.5A) logging mc3k through another USB (data) cable. i use this setup all the time, so yes it works. at the same time i stream music on the raspi.

in DEX you can choose "MC3000" or "MC3000 Set". The difference is how DEX internally processes and saves the data. I find the latter more convenient because it lets the user save an entire complex DEX session with a single click.

i documented the installation of older DEX version in #19 and the installation of new DEX version in #21 of my raspi story time thread :naughty:

It was a very interesting read :)
I now have the Pi powered from the MC3000 and its working great. I am using "MC3000" and not "MC3000SET". Still don't fully understand the differences but it's working so I am happy.

Latest posts