Slender 1x123 recomendation

Hog

Newly Enlightened
I need something small & slender that I can use primary 123's in.
I change out the batterys frequently in a weapons mounted light & hate to toss em. Need something that they can finish their life in. Aw really just want a new light no since in lying. Anything decent in the $30 range?
Hog

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most slender 123 lights I have seen are the Inova's X5, X0 (new version), X02 (or X0 old version) and the Fenix P1 or Ultrafire 602D. They are about as slim as I have found, with the X02 being about the thickest body and the new X0 having the flared head.

All are around $30 or slightly more.

Hog

Newly Enlightened
How about the fenix P1 family a little more money but worth it?
Is the cree worth the extra money, how bout the 5 level vs the standard P1.
Regarding Inova what is the difference between XO..vs..T1?
Fenix vs Inova?
Any owners wanna chime in?
By the way I just talked myself into upping my budget a little.
Hog

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many cells does your weapon light use? From what I've read in this forum, it could be risky to put individually discharged and unmatched cells from a single-cell light into a multiple-cell light like the Inovas. For starters, I'd choose a light that uses the same number of cells as the weapon light, or a light that uses a single cell like the P1/P1D.

c_c

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Weapon light uses 3, I am only interested in a 1x123 addition to my light community. If I inquired about some that are 2x123 then sorry. I'm pretty sure the Inova T1 is a single cell?
Thanks
Hog

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hog said:
Weapon light uses 3, I am only interested in a 1x123 addition to my light community. If I inquired about some that are 2x123 then sorry. I'm pretty sure the Inova T1 is a single cell?
Thanks
Hog
Yes. But the X5, X0, and X02 recommeded earlier are two cell, so those wouldn't be appropriate. The Inova T1 and Fenix P1 are both great lights, but are somewhat different in function. The T1 is heavier, more rugged, and puts out a total light output of about half the P1. It's also not as bright in the main beam. Both run about the same length of time (about 1-1/2 hours) on a fresh cell. See the reviews at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_by_mfgrs.htm for more info.

c_c

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I have read reviews on both the T1 & the P1.
Just looking for some inside input.
Have the problems mentioned in some other threads regarding the cree P1D's been resolved? I do like the 5 lighting options on the P1D.
I'm kinda leaning torward Fenix..P1..P1D..P1D CE? Tough Choices
Hog

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a P1 and P1D CE. Both are amazing lights. They easily go into a pocket and weigh under 2 ounces with battery. The P1D CE on max puts out about 2-1/2 times the light of the P1 for about the same run time. But the P1D CE is quite a way outside your original $30 cost limit. The P1D has the advantage over the P1 that you can trade off light output for run time with the multiple levels. Some P1s (including mine) have a problem, which can show up immediately or after some time, with poor contact through some threads in the head. The P1D has been redesigned to avoid this problem. If you do get a Fenix, get it at foursevens' Fenix-Store.

c_c

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Fenix L1T with a 123 body? There was a body in the BST earlier tonight.

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Not sure that I understand the benefit of the L1T with 123 body over the P1.
Could someone explain?
Thanks..Hog

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get a clicky switch with the L1T. The L1T is a 2 stage light. You lose the ability to run RCRs in the L1T. L1T is a little longer than the P1, I'm not sure which is thinner. P1 is probably cheaper. Both are good lights, just depends on which features you want.

Qben

Newly Enlightened
Why has no one mentioned the LM303. That looks like a great one and under $30.

Hog

Newly Enlightened
I did see the ultrafire not sure about the quality.
I may give them a look but leaning torward the fenix.
I appreciate all who have posted with information.
This is a great forum with which to help you spend lumen $'s.
Hog

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy the Fenix over the UF if you don't mind the price difference.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I have both the Fenix and Ultrafire, and side by side, I personally prefer the Ultrafire because of its pocket clip. As far as finish, brightness and battery life, its a toss up from my examples.