So,.....I have a problem....too many recent purchases.

BVH

Flashaholic
The basic bones of the vice were in good shape. I stripped and repainted it, installed the new jaws and had fun making different shims to drastically remove most of the axial freeplay. The handle turns only a few degrees before the jaws separate or close together. Before, it was the typical 90 or so degrees.

And ok, I admit it, I do have some other non-Wilton vices. That's why I'm here.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The basic bones of the vice were in good shape. I stripped and repainted it, installed the new jaws and had fun making different shims to drastically remove most of the axial freeplay. The handle turns only a few degrees before the jaws separate or close together. Before, it was the typical 90 or so degrees.

And ok, I admit it, I do have some other non-Wilton vices. That's why I'm here.
No anvils?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as the bills are paid & you're not going into debt buy whatever you want.

That's why I have 12 Leatherman tools, 40+? Swiss Army knives, 7 laptop & 13 desktop computers (all work), 30 different flashlights WITHIN arms reach (more that I can't reach sitting here), don't even get me started with tools but I'm sure I have at least 70 different pair of pliers in different sizes+type and more guns than I can fit in 3 gun lockers (that included 8 M1 Garands at one point). Some of these things were things I bought on the way to finding the "right" one & I just never got rid of the others. Some were just deals to good to pass up. Some are because I have one in every tool box, bag, case & vehicle I own so I don't have to look for where I left it last when I need it.

That said I've never bounced a check, been over drawn at the bank, gone hungry (that wasn't by choice,ex GF was never a good cook), have no debt & save enough that when I needed to spend an unexpected $3K I didn't have to wonder where or how I was going to get it. So yea I buy what I want not just what I need & you should too if you're not robbing Peter to pay Paul as the saying goes
So far, the only things I "have too many of" are my flashlights........and probably shoes. Yes,.....shoes. But yeah,...I'm not a super rich person, but I also have few debts and have enough in the bank,....so this new flashlight was okay to get...and I'm still impressed by its output.

So far, the only things I "have too many of" are my flashlights........and probably shoes. Yes,.....shoes. But yeah,...I'm not a super rich person, but I also have few debts and have enough in the bank,....so this new flashlight was okay to get...and I'm still impressed by its output.
In my experience, flashlights are a cheaper and slower moving hobby than knives. Knives can become expensive and buy/sell very quickly (at least on Reddit). Flashlights on average cost less, move a bit slower on buy/sell, and have slightly more depreciation than knives.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In my experience, flashlights are a cheaper and slower moving hobby than knives. Knives can become expensive and buy/sell very quickly (at least on Reddit). Flashlights on average cost less, move a bit slower on buy/sell, and have slightly more depreciation than knives.
One thing that has helped me in limiting my knife purchases is learning about various steels, and their properties. I'm no fan of the ridiculously hard to re-sharpen exotic steels out there that cost a small fortune. So, I don't buy them. I also love knife snobs who swear they can easily re-sharpen them. Meanwhile, none have access to laser sharpening equipment that costs a large fortune. Ask the right questions, turns out they simply strop the edge after each use. Or, use ceramic sharpening rods after each couple of uses. So, they're just maintaining the edge. Not re-sharpening.

One thing that has helped me in limiting my knife purchases is learning about various steels, and their properties. I'm no fan of the ridiculously hard to re-sharpen exotic steels out there that cost a small fortune. So, I don't buy them. I also love knife snobs who swear they can easily re-sharpen them. Meanwhile, none have access to laser sharpening equipment that costs a large fortune. Ask the right questions, turns out they simply strop the edge after each use. Or, use ceramic sharpening rods after each couple of uses. So, they're just maintaining the edge. Not re-sharpening.
I don't regularly sharpen super steel knives, but I have used a Worksharp Precision to re-profile a few 20CV and M390 knives. I do have my first Magnacut small Sebenza that needs sharpening, but haven't tried yet. The previous two steels haven't been terrible to adjust the bevels and sharpen.

Flashlights also tend to not scare folks. A few years ago I worked with a guy who was shocked and just a wee bit fearful that I carried a discrete pocket folder, a light duty Benchmade. I could understand that he didn't expect a sophisticated urbanite like me to carry one of life's essential tools, but fearful? I consider that reaction to be worrisome.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Accidentally cutting yourself can potentially require stitches. Accidentally flashing yourself in the eyes at high output is an inconvenience for awhile.

Anyway, I'm glad I decided to try this Acebeam product. Not sure of their quality, but it seems to be fine so far.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Accidentally cutting yourself can potentially require stitches. Accidentally flashing yourself in the eyes at high output is an inconvenience for awhile.

Anyway, I'm glad I decided to try this Acebeam product. Not sure of their quality, but it seems to be fine so far.
In terms of quality, AceBeam is highly underrated.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kinda want an Acebeam however when a Surefire costs less I'll probably buy American.
Interesting. I've always kina considered that Surefire flashlights were more expensive. I've not really looked into them much. I wonder what their flashlight would be that would match the output of the Acebeam I got?

As a side note,...where are Olights made? Or Nitecore?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Canadian police Surefire is under $100 when Acebeam is over $100. SF holds a better resale value where I live being nearly what you pay for a new one. China lights you can't hardly give away. Output for SF is below average but they are super reliable.

Olight and Nitecore is Chinese. I can't speak for Olight but Nitecore is a good brand that is very well made. I had one long ago and it was the first decent Chinese light I ever owned.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both Olight and Nitecore lights I own appear to be very good quality. One I have isn't quite so good in quality, but still works well. But yeah, I do know what you mean by "barely give them away". I had some lights in the sell portion of this forum and even had a "OBO" type set up at the end, and I still have them today.

And as for two of the Olights I have, after getting the new Seeker 4 Pro, I really don't need them...but yeah, wouldn't be able to sell them for much....certainly far less than I paid for them.

BTW, for the Acebeam, it was just under $100, shipped, and including the 21700. And is the Green color exterior.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you head over to Egay there are never enough Surefires for sale, there aren't enough parts to go around and the auctions go to the moon. I was in a bidding war a month ago or so when a bunch of NOS lights hit and only managed to get one I already had. I made bids of $200 + on some lights.

With Olight they show up on any search remotely related to flashlights on search engines, market places, and in ads. You can find any model you want and in all sorts of colours. Seems like their are more lights than demand.

Used lights are a hard sell but new in packet always attracts a buyer. I have bought over 100 NOS lights in the past year's time.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I've always kina considered that Surefire flashlights were more expensive. I've not really looked into them much. I wonder what their flashlight would be that would match the output of the Acebeam I got?

Surefire doesn't make anything that matches the all paper specs of the Acebeam L35. They have a couple 1000+ lumen lights in the $250USD range and a huge 2000+ lumen statement piece for over a grand.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seriously thought about getting one of those over 1K SF lights which was 1.4k iirc but my Lupine Betty blows it out of the water as does any Led Lenser X21 series light.