So long Photobucket

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photobucket, what on earth are you doing. You have made massive holes in forums everywhere. What kind of business plan is that, make your core users hate you.

Every photo I've ever posted on any forum is from photobucket.

Tutorials wrecked, examples of work gone, so much information gone.

I'm trying hard not to swear.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a helpful tip

When posting a photo,

Use the "Insert Image"
InsertImageIcon2x.jpg
button at the top right of the posting window.
Not sure on Tapa Talk though.

Paste the actual url to the hosted image. Ex. "www.host.com/user2345/flashlight257.jpg"
Unless You are a veteran vBulletin forum message editor coder, it's easier to let the software put
the correct img and url tags in your post.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just a helpful tip

When posting a photo,

Use the "Insert Image"
InsertImageIcon2x.jpg
button at the top right of the posting window.
Not sure on Tapa Talk though.

Paste the actual url to the hosted image. Ex. "www.host.com/user2345/flashlight257.jpg"
Unless You are a veteran vBulletin forum message editor coder, it's easier to let the software put
the correct img and url tags in your post.

Good lookin' out bro.

To add to that: when you go that route.
LqCKbfF.jpg

This is what works on my android mobile device. When I leave the box checked I get a "file too big" notification even though it was shrank to 800x6xx res

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
photobucket been litter with ads upon ads, it sometimes freezes the javascripts behind as layers upon layers of ads racing against each other to pop up to grab our attentions. Was tempted to subscribe, but back-down when I started to receive many emails pushing for subscriptions...

and now thanks to the policy change, this is the push I needed to move on. I subscribed to ImageShack (I took the 50% discount offer) and signup an account with imgur.com. Still in the process of moving most of my photos that I have the original backup to the new host, slowly but surely.

I share my posts to a few forums, CPF, BLF and TFF, CPF and TFF both uses bbcode, while BLF seems to go the plain HTML route. So in order to save time migrating my picture posts, I created the utility to help me with the process...

Here is a PDF document for the tool ==> See buttom of this post for an updated version 1.0.4...

Flowchart of the design (it's in the document as well):
See previous post for main program flow... here is the saving imgur or ImageShack repository to local storage flow:
8l8deI.png

as explained in my earlier post, the tool is to address the different way of how imgur, ImageShack (and apparently many other image hosts) store the file as hashed id compare to photobucket and help semi-automate updating my forum posts. it will not work if the image host does not keep the original filename somewhere, in this case, imgur and ImageShack does and the original filename as one of the file property. it is with this information that the tool can compare and update the photobucket link to imgur/ImageShack link.

If you think the tool can assist you in migrating forum posts with photobucket links to imgur/ImageShack after reading the document and you are interested, below is a dropbox link to the latest v1.0.3 version. It's a Windows Desktop application written in C# and requires .Net Framework 4.5 installed.

But before you download, please read the disclaimer below and be advised that you should run this tool in a sandbox environment (virtual machine) to test if it helps. Do keep your anti-malware and OS up-to-date and scan for malware. With the rampant of malware (viruses, worms, ransomwares, etc.) on the Internet nowadays, one can never be too careful. Also read the manual for the imgur requirements as you need to register a security token for the tool to access your imgur account to download your image properties. ImageShack do not have such requirement tho...

DISCLAIMER
YOU agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless "MigrateFromPB" application creator
and its affiliates, officers, agents, partners, employees, licensors, representatives
and third party providers from and against any liability, loss, injury (including injuries
resulting in death), demand, action, cost, expense, or claim of any kind, including but
not limited to attorneys' fees, relating in any way to your use of the "MigrateFromPB"
application. Meaning that no claim relating to such losses or injuries (including special,
indirect and consequential losses) shall be asserted against the application creator from
any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind resulting from the
"MigrateFromPB" application and acceptance of any output "MigrateFromPB" application
produces, including without limitation, personal injuries, death and property damage.
END OF DISCLAIMER

Check Sum (use these to verify the authenticity of the file):
MD5SHA1
Zip File--
Exe File--
See buttom of this post for an updated version 1.0.4...

Default application set to only download less than 2,500 images' properties either from imgur or ImageShack (just the image properties, not the actual image itself), you can increase this limit via a setting in the config, please read the manual for details.

oh, btw...
lwX28d.png

Btw, the manual only details the steps for CPF post editing, if you on BLF, you need to switch your Text mode to "Simple Post Editor" to copy and update.

and... try not to curse me if the tool doesn't work for you... it's just life... my excuse is... hey, it works on my computer... LOL!

Update 2017-07-05:
MD5SHA1
ZipFile--
ExeFile--
Documentation: -
MigrateFromPB: -

Update 2017-07-15:
See post #61 for updated link to download.

Last edited:

feedramp

Newly Enlightened
Re: Heads-Up if you use Photobucket

Geeker nightmare come true.

The pix are still intact. Just blocked from our view. A click and "open in new tab" reveals them at the pb site.

Look fast! You'll be bombarded with ads and dozens of cookies within seconds!

david57strat

Enlightened
I had been using Photobucket for the past five years, strictly for posting pictures, on multiple forums; but now, without paying them 400 bucks a year, that option is no longer available. Unacceptable. Their site had grown incresingly troublesome, with the numerous ads. Everything ran dog slow, and uploading pictures was more than just tedious.

So, I downloaded all of my Photobucket albums, and uploaded them to Imgur. Then, I deleted all of my content that had been posted to Photobucket (which took quite some time, considering how klunky their site is), and deleted the account, altogether. The account should be officially deleted as of the 6th.

Five years' worth of pictures, posted on numerous forums....gone.

Never again.

Way to do business, Photobucket.

Sons of bit*h*s.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Apparently their business model is to price themselves out of the market. Cloud storage is pretty cheap at other companies.

There's considerable backlash over this on social media, where it's being called a ransom demand.

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Follow up from post #44, a bug-fixed version 1.0.4, now correctly replace ImageShack link, previous version miss the "http://" protocol text. Imgur link not affected.

Update 2017-07-05:

MD5SHA1
ZipFile--
ExeFile--

Documentation: -
MigrateFromPB: -

Update 2017-07-15
See post #61 for updated link

Finally finished transferring all images to ImageShack account. Have taken the opportunity to clean up the pool, removed ~20% of old images. Tomorrow will begin the slow process of updating the forum posts...

Btw, just realize that imgur re-compress the uploaded images
(they claim they are using lossless compression for images less than 5MB), although they remain the same resolution, but file size is greatly reduced. They also stripped away the EXIF info and somehow convert the dpi from 72 to 96 :shrug: some details are here in this article: https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000083326

One thing I truly missed from PB is the sub-folder structures... I can't create sub-albums in imgur nor ImageShack.:mecry:

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
So you can use drop box to host photos? I have a free account. Might need to upgrade or get imgur. My reviews are hosed now due to photo bucket.

:(

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Dropbox when it was free. Now that they charge a fee, they killed the Public share folder I had going for years...so EVERY photo I posted on this forum is broken (aside from a few new Flickr posts). Horrible.

It's not just the hosting photos that I like about Dropbox, you can do that anywhere. But the organization. It's basically just a file manager (Windows Explorer) where you can make folders, move/copy/cut/rename files, then share. It's perfect...so perfect I may break my habit of hating monthly fees and actually start paying so I can use my public folder again (I think that's how it works??)

Actually, I guess that option is out too :( - - Effective September 1, 2017, Dropbox Plus and Business users will no longer be able to render HTML content, and the Public folder and its sharing functionality will be disabled. Until that date, Dropbox Plus and Business users can continue to use public links to render HTML content.

I also came across box.com.Seemslike the same thing, but free. I've just been putting it off since I don't want my files spread out over a million different places.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the future. We are all totally reliant on subscription services which can change the terms and conditions any time they want.

I use PB and have since 2005. Despite some bumps, it has done well for me and I went for their Plus 20 service (now not an option) and as I keep image sizes very small I'm still using less than 1% of this. Currently the functionality remains unchanged, but will that be true at my next renewal?

Seriously, how many users are going to pay $400 a year? Good move if you want to go out of business. If I have to, I'll start self hosting, but that is a major pain to change.

What if YouTube started to ask for viewing and posting subscriptions?

EDIT: of course we all seem to expect something for nothing, and I think it is fair to either charge something or show adverts, but make it so that free accounts can't post links and then an entry level subscription of $2 a month to post 'hosted' images with limited storage and increase from there. That would encourage lots more subscriptions instead of defections.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Even though bandwidth is huge and storage is pretty cheap these days...are these kind moves to be expected when 50% of people on facebook have to respond via a meme image instead of a simple "HAHA" or posting stuff like this on youtube?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This is the future. We are all totally reliant on subscription services which can change the terms and conditions any time they want.

I use PB and have since 2005. Despite some bumps, it has done well for me and I went for their Plus 20 service (now not an option) and as I keep image sizes very small I'm still using less than 1% of this. Currently the functionality remains unchanged, but will that be true at my next renewal?

Seriously, how many users are going to pay $400 a year? Good move if you want to go out of business. If I have to, I'll start self hosting, but that is a major pain to change.

What if YouTube started to ask for viewing and posting subscriptions?

EDIT: of course we all seem to expect something for nothing, and I think it is fair to either charge something or show adverts, but make it so that free accounts can't post links and then an entry level subscription of $2 a month to post 'hosted' images with limited storage and increase from there. That would encourage lots more subscriptions instead of defections.

Yup.
I had never paid photobucket a dime, clicked on any of there ads or even thanked them for the priveledge of storing/sharing pix in their servers w/o compensating them in any way so I have zero right to complain but..... I aint paying them no $40/ mth or $400/ year ransome to get my photos released either.
Shucks, there may have been a warning in one of their "change of policy" emails stating July 1 yadah, yadah, which I likely deleted without reading.

I did write them a note stating I'd entertain the idea of entering into one of their plans but not that top tier thing.

It seems as though many who tossed coins their way over the last few years have largely been unaffected. Some of my friends who rarely post photos from pb were not affected either.

And yeah this is the future of things to come I agree, including you-tube.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I think my godaddy domain gives me 1GB of free storage. That's around $30 year IIRC. I never tried linking photos from it, though.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping they have just misjudged it and think that they are only holding the ebay sellers to ransom. Their survey of if 3rd party hosting was used by 'normal' users probably confused a lot of people.

Fingers crossed for something more sensible coming out of this.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wait a second...
eBay sellers were linking pix from photobucket?
No wonder they want $400 a year!! Cannot say I blame them. Good info subwoofer.

I found it faster and easier to post directly than use pb pix the few items I sold there. But that's another story.

Yeah I'm crossing my finger too SW.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping they have just misjudged it and think that they are only holding the ebay sellers to ransom. Their survey of if 3rd party hosting was used by 'normal' users probably confused a lot of people.

Fingers crossed for something more sensible coming out of this.

Amazon sellers too. I read of one who had 300 product photos broken and he was having to fix them all.

i do with wonder if this $400 very high price has been done to shock all, then after all the publicity they will come back with a more sensible cost which most would be happy to pay.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon sellers too. I read of one who had 300 product photos broken and he was having to fix them all.

i do with wonder if this $400 very high price has been done to shock all, then after all the publicity they will come back with a more sensible cost which most would be happy to pay.
That would be great if You are among one of those that this is one of those "First" Photobucket incident(s).

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Has anyone successfully downloaded their account images from imgur? How long does it takes for you to receive the email from imgur? Waited ~48 hours but haven't receive any email... yet...

... and when I try to download again...

first, I clicked on the Download account images button...
QStTCHn.png

then a information message pops up...
G9HXNyM.png

when submit, an error was given...
dXBY0OC.png

Perhaps it's in the queue... just wanted to know has anyone experienced this?

I had 25x photos when I first tried the download, now I have 5xx photos.