So long Photobucket

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this E-mail from Photobucket.

ANY PAYING MEMBER WHOSE PLUS ACCOUNT WAS IN GOOD STANDING AS OF JUNE 1, 2017, SHALL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ALL THE PHOTOBUCKET SERVICES THAT WERE AVAILABLE TO HIM/HER ON SUCH DATE, INCLUDING IMAGE LINKING AND 3RD PARTY IMAGE HOSTING, UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2018 AS LONG THEY MAINTAIN THEIR CURRENT PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION OR A HIGHER LEVEL PLUS ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION DURING SUCH PERIOD OF TIME.

What this means is "we are giving you until 31/12/2018 to work out what you are going to do"

I've started to self-host and will now not add any further images to my photobucket account. I'll pay my current subscription for the next year until they cut off the 3rd party hosting to keep my older articles fully live for as long as possible. Fixing my entire back catalogue is far too big a job.

Now I have a strategy for the self-hosting including generating bulk sets of links (one of the things I loved about PB) to use on my website and in forum posts.

They have given me the push to now ask, why go back to using an image hosting service? Quite frankly, there is no reason as all I'll get is insecurity.

Part of me wants them to fail completely, but part of me wants them to see reason and restore the huge chunk of the internet they are holding to ransom. Maybe Google can intervene and set up the "Fixing PhotoBucket's mess" project for the good of all internet users.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Part of me wants them to fail completely, but part of me wants them to see reason and restore the huge chunk of the internet they are holding to ransom. Maybe Google can intervene and set up the "Fixing PhotoBucket's mess" project for the good of all internet users.
Emotion make me feel the exact same way, so good on you for setting that aside and hoping that a better fix that works for all comes along.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
What this means is "we are giving you until 31/12/2018 to work out what you are going to do"

I've started to self-host and will now not add any further images to my photobucket account. I'll pay my current subscription for the next year until they cut off the 3rd party hosting to keep my older articles fully live for as long as possible. Fixing my entire back catalogue is far too big a job.

Now I have a strategy for the self-hosting including generating bulk sets of links (one of the things I loved about PB) to use on my website and in forum posts.

They have given me the push to now ask, why go back to using an image hosting service? Quite frankly, there is no reason as all I'll get is insecurity.

I have a decade worth of trip reports and reviews floating around. Over 42 gigs worth of photos and all on various forums. I can't even pay the ransom as what's to stop them from charging even more later or given events going BK. To stay would simply put me more at risk and deeper in their pocket. I should check into self hosting but got too much on my plate as is so for now will risk another service. Probably let Photobucket hang till the end then the links will fry. At which time they will no longer get money from me. I suspect downloading them will be a project and heard people are having issues getting their pics back. Paying them in the first place was a BIG mistake. Going to try and re do some of the back reviews etc but that would only take away from what i am doing now which is 3 reviews that have been delayed over this. Still will see what can be done and with luck some will be saved.

My advice (as a fellow poster not moderator) for anyone who still has Photobucket and can post photos is not to use them for future postings. Find another option and they're plenty. This way when the hammer comes down CPF will be less harmed aka 6 less months worth of broken links.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Decided I will just switch any of useless Photobucket IMG link over to Google Photos image link.

EDITED: Done. I will find and fix what's left.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up on PB years ago, when they started wanting money as well. I don't link to near as many images as a lot of members on here, but I've used Flickr for several years with little trouble...obviously, nothing guarantees they won't flake out in the future though.

It makes me sick to see all of the old threads on here lose most of their images. :shakehead

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
It`s a pain, so many threads and so many missing photo`s is this what 2K bug was supposed to be like.

Well at least all the B-holes at Photobucket have to look at the damage they have created.

John.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
folks what we are seeing is a how to commit corporate suicide tutorial.
who in their right mind would pay $399/year for the use of that slow,buggy,ad riddled annoyance they have the gall to call a service?
another "service" comes to mind.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. It looks better with bacon.

VzEPg2S.jpg

No, that's a heart attack! j/k ... lol

Pops

Empath

Flashaholic
Posts suggesting or advocating vandalism retribution have been removed.

CPF will not be a part of spearheading vindictive behavior toward other sites. Further efforts to do so will close this thread.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Imgur not playing nice for me lately. Tinypics to the rescue. Post Image dot org is a nice backup.

Hadn't said much about the 'original' PB fix because I figured if a sudden influx of people fixing the link takes place they may change things again.... so yeah it works but mums the word please.

One called 'direct upload' shows promise, but when I went to their cpu site I got bombarded with ads and one telling me I have been 'plagued with a virus, click here to fix it'. Fail.
The mobile app gave me errors so an email to the developer went out. We'll see. Hopefully this thread won't get closed before I can make the official "deal, or no deal" post. It could be that Direct Upload is one to avoid at all costs, but right now the jury is out.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... what's a good alternative to the free option PB provided for a lot of people, even if those free accounts had limited size restrictions? Is Imgur a viable option?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... what's a good alternative to the free option PB provided for a lot of people, even if those free accounts had limited size restrictions? Is Imgur a viable option?
I've donated to Wikipedia before. They have some good info, like the list You are asking about. They break it down and list free, trials, and subscription services, and then also do a comparison on each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
While I think $400/yr. is highway robbery AND I think it is the lowest of ethics to hold previously uploaded information essentially hostage (as opposed to charging for new material), I also look at it from the standpoint of an independent business and can contrast that to CPF.

While CPF is at some level a hobby site, it is also a commercial site AND is supported by advertising.

Now, CPF does not host images directly. Why is that? Could that be because compared to txt, images are high bandwidth and hence the hosting costs are considerably higher? Wouldn't the simple solution be for CPF to host the images directly?

By forcing the use of an external photo hosting site, CPF is making advertising money, while shifting the cost to a third party who does not participate in that revenue stream. That hardly seems fair to the third party does it? Hence, because these third parties do not get to participate in the revenue stream, they have to start charging.

Obviously the revenue model that PhotoBucket is using is "onerous", but I get why they have to have one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Had to look up "red queen response"...(since to this day I've never read AiWL or seen the movie.)

Interesting response kitro...

Will the photo bucket end up like the brontasaurus or the alligator?
(One made it to 2017, the other did not)

Last edited:

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I don't have the first clue what you are talking about, OR, what your comment could possibly mean w.r.t. this thread?

I did not get the "nice hat" comment until this morning! You were talking about Greta's picture.

If you do not have a paid subscription yes, but they get money from advertising whether a user pays or not. I am not knocking trying to keep costs down, any smart business person is going to do it, however, when viewed from the side of the photo sharing site, they are providing a service but not participating in the revenue stream. That is not going to work long term .... so expect them to charge and/or add advertising overlays on the photos.

Is CPF "forcing the use of external photo hosting site(s)"?

Last edited: