So, the Mrs. would like...

grateful1

Newly Enlightened
...a new light!

Ok - I've been looking around because she is doing SAR training with the pup.
Last night I grabbed the Thrunite TN11 I gave her(ok- she took for her regular dog walks)....and asked her some questions.

Does she like it, is bigger better, more lumens or side buttton...and this is what I got.

She does not want anything with the extended grippy thing like the TN11 has (not even sure what that ring is for).

She wants a min - 3 CR123 or(2x18650 preferred), side button.

So far I've seen a Jetbeam that lines up pretty well....any other suggestions?

Any other questions I should be looking to ask?

Thanks!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pesumable as it's for SAR Mrs, Garteful wants a Thrower?
How far would she like to see?
How long would she like it to run?

There's a couple anyway.
P

UVvis

Enlightened
What type of SAR?

Reason I ask, is that it will depend on what you are doing in terms of work and K9 stuff. Urban or rural area, in those cases, a headlamp and a thrower is the best combo, as your arms get full real fast in terms of a lead and radio/phone. Next reason I ask, is that if this will be with other rescue units (Police/Fire) participating in the search, odds are you will find a bucketload of streamlight rechargables and chargers in darn near every vehicle and mobile site. Most of the streamlight offerings aren't bad for that type of work and have side buttons.

grateful1

Newly Enlightened
Great questions!

She and the pup are training for SAR.
https://dawgs.org/

I think the distance with the TN11 is good (with 3 x123). With the possible real-world situations likely being in rural areas - yet forresty (think New England) - I'd say something not overkill.
Yea - I was just looking at the Rofis reveiw for a headlamp, and you're right about the Streamlight stuff and using other things.
I think either rechargable cells with an option of choices (123 or others) will be good.
She can always throw in a charger her gear - as other things may need that too.

Yes - choice of battery type is the really tricky thing here.
Oh - and I'd like her to have some decent run-time - I'd think at least 2-3hrs on a medium mode....no?

UVvis

Enlightened
Gotcha,

To be fair, that headlamp is going to get the bulk of the use, so I would really focus there first and treat it as the primary light. Potentially consider a beacon or strobe for the doggie. If those line up in terms of battery/power, then look for a bigger handheld that uses the same. You will have a pack with food, water, and other stuff, and will want to keep it minimal weight wise for keeping up with the dog.

Then I'd consider the handheld as limited use, and for lighting up areas as needed, with a holster to keep hand free for pushing stuff like brush. Depending on the night, you may be using less light and more moonlight than you thought, or vice versa. Or in daytimes, you want the punch to look in basements, barns, and things like that.

Also, get good gloves and some reflective gear.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore EC4S would be a good match. Two 18659/four CR123/18350 cell in a nice side by side arrangement that is quite comfortable to hold. The medium mode of 400 lumens is rated at six hours, with a max of 2150 lumens, but only for 45 minutes. The practical max throw is ~200 meters, which should be more than adequate for the environment stated.

If those run time numbers aren't adequate, the next step up would be a Nitecore TM16GT or a TM36. Both offer some improvement in run time at the expense of size and weight, since both are four 18650/eight CR123 cell lights.

I could also recommend the Nitecore P30. It is only a single 18650/two CR123 light, but it has similar performance to the EC4S, with twice the rated throw, in a very nice small package. It would also be a good backup light, as its small size makes it easy to carry on a belt, and the holster's MOLLE strap makes it easy to attach to a pack as well. Best of all, at ~$60 it is very affordable. It also makes the carrying of extra cells easier, since it is only a single cell light that has almost the same performance as larger lights. [It is also my favorite light, so I am somewhat biased. Truth in advertising, don't ya know!]

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
I'd probably use a TM26 which can use either CR123 or 18650 cells. It'll run at 700 lumen for well over 8 hours and at 1900 lumen for over 2 1/2 hours. It might be a little hard to find these days but is a good value if you can find it. It was a max beam distance of 454m. It's a relative compact light for one that runs on 4 x 18650 cells.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I know some one who does this in Scotland and uses, after he saw mine a FANDYFIRE UV5S I think it is, takes 3 18650, has grippy knurling dead right to hold even with gloves on, works on 1, 2 or 3 batts, but it has variable brightness from 10% up to 100%, also my fave light in CW, with power left indicator too, up to you of course, good luck, and respect for your lady doing SAR.