So what are you using for grills this summer?

Kremer

Enlightened
My brother-in-law has been talking about a grill that uses gas to stoke charcoal up in no time flat.

Weber performer -- with propane assist ignition.

For propane I have a Genesis silver B that I just love that is about 7 years old. I think it is called the Genesis E-310 now. I also have a little Weber Q-200 for small jobs and cooking away from home.

For charcoal I have a little Weber 14" Smokey Joe and a Smokey Mountain cooker (WSM) for big pieces of meat -- a fantastic device, it'll smoke 50# of pork butt at a time at 225f or easily roast two whole turkeys at 350F.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard good things and eaten good things off of Big Green Eggs. However, the best BBQ(yes, actual BBQ, not grilled) I have ever eaten came off of an $80 Weber, tended by a true master of the art. To me, this means that BBQ nirvana comes from the chef, not the hardware.

They are versatile grills (BGE), I'm told. I've had smoked cheese off of one -- heaven!

And, you're absolutely right-- it's the workman, not the tool in this case. Helps to have a quality grill, but a great chef can do wonders with a bad grill and a poor one can basically only make something hot on a really good grill.

Gas does give you things like instant heat and fine control and consistency, though.

J-FRAME

Newly Enlightened
I studied this for some time.Weber Spirit E310 3 burner about $500 get a cover also for it. Or the 2 burner (smaller) E210 ?? Don,t look back. Did I tell you yet I LOVE THIS GRILL

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
I was a die hard gas grill guy until I decided on a whim to ask my kids for a Weber... They gave me a regular old Weber One-touch Silver 22" a year ago and my gas grill has sat under the cover ever since.

Food tastes better cooked with real fire and smoke. It seems like I appreciate it more having to prep more and clean up more as well.

Chimney starters rock.

I feel more manly when I cook over something burning than gas merely combusting just like the range in the house... I even like the smell of campfire on my clothes, and the sight of smoke coming from the vents.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you don't need a large grill, want gas, and don't want to spend a lot, the Weber BabyQ is awesome. I bought my parents one and it has been great. It's small so it's portable and heats up fast. It's supposed to run on the tiny cylinders but if you get a hose and adapter you can plug in a big tank and with it's miserly consumption run forever on a tank! Also, aluminum construction and ceramic coated grate means no rust sitting outside! It was probably the best anniversary gift I ever bought them.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
What's the deal with all the "better" grills at big box stores all using "guaranteed to rust" stainless steel burners. A few years back cast iron burners were common. Is this just another way to get more of our money?

Geoff

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a man. When I want to cook some meat, I pile up some rocks and start a fire in the yard. There's also a good chance I shot what I'm cooking...:naughty:

Down at the shop I've been known to cook with an acetylene torch...

DIY Lumens

Newly Enlightened
So LL, eight years later on, what are you cooking on this summer? The world wants to know!:crackup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
lol... I thought something looked funny about the OP.

With summer here its a worthy resurrection.

Standard webber kettle + kingsford for me. IMHO best bang for the buck. I think mine was $75, it lasts forever. I usually chimney start, although sometimes I use fluid.
wedge cut zucchini grill up nicely with a little NACL and EVOO
Pineapple slices on the side
Corn grilled in the husk
Hotdogs and bratworst with krout too

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, two Lux Luthors on the site, both from Connecticut.

After 14 years of using a Thermos brand BBQ, we decided it was time for a new one.

We bought a 45,000 BTU Sterling (Made by the same company that makes Broil-King and Weber BBQs) propane BBQ.

Nice even heat, cooks well.

It was such a change from our old BBQ we had to learn to grill all over again.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Funny, two Lux Luthors on the site, both from Connecticut.

After 14 years of using a Thermos brand BBQ, we decided it was time for a new one.

We bought a 45,000 BTU Sterling (Made by the same company that makes Broil-King and Weber BBQs) propane BBQ.

Nice even heat, cooks well.

It was such a change from our old BBQ we had to learn to grill all over again.

The funniest thing was I picked that name out of the air, and assumed a forum registration would not allow a space in between Lux Luthor, so just went with combined name. Later discovered posts I didn't remember making like this one; first saw his user name was also in connecticut, and figured there must be a forum glitch not displaying my avatar image.

Eventually, I realized he was a whole other member, that joined CPF almost at the beginning. I apologized for using his name, and he was totally cool and gracious. I think his last post was Oct 2009, so he is somehow able to keep this hobby in a healthy perspective. LOL!

Grilled this year: Filet Mignon, burgers, hot dogs, corn in husk, peppers/zucchini/onions/elephant garlic. My favorite seasoning for steaks is the McCormick Montreal Steak. Love half an onion (Vidalia when available), sprinkled with some beef boulion crystals and pat of butter closed up in tinfoil on grill. Similarly, elephant garlic drizzled with olive oil and grilled in tinfoil.

Best grill I have ever had is the Weber Genesis Silver from 1999. Replaced spark starter, grates, gas jet tubes, and flavorizer bars that fit over top gas tubes one time, and it just always works year after year.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just grilled portobello mushrooms and zucchini, with grilled pineapple slices for dessert.

Was quite good.