So what are your other hobbies ?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you have any other 'weird' hobbies?

I got into flashlights because (drumroll) I spend time in dark places. Largely storm drain tunnels, but also abandoned buildings, miscellaneous tunnels, and night often require some amount of light.

Water treatment

Mill.

Of course, since I'm rarely in a hurry, and don't truly need tactical lighting solutions (Lights that will survive being used as a pry bar to move your truck), most of my lighting purchases are driven by photography - so I really like aspherics with flood modes because of the very even flood they provide.

You'd be surprised where you find tunnels, and what's in them. This one is a stone storm drain with a very old hardwood floor.

So you get the idea. I'm naturally drawn to neat lights, and hope to get into building my own. Way more fun than buying them, right?

Edit: As a mention of urban exploration, I ought to mention that I don't condone you guys doing stuff like this - going into abandoned buildings is trespassing, and my favorite (storm drains) are unreasonably unforgiving of small mistakes. I like flashlights because I enjoy photography in these places, so that I can't get by with a cheapie LED something-or-other. But don't go in storm drains without an experienced guide, and don't trespass because it's illegal. I'm guessing that because of the CPF rules I should hope not to get reprimanded by an admin...

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

I collect dice, too. :D

Ha, very cool, I recognize some of those; I dig those marble-y looking ones on the bottom row second column. And the regulation dice above those, so far I have a pair from the Luxor, the Stratosphere, and the Golden Nugget.

hey I like the strange picture...got more?

A few hundred more, the internet certainly has no shortage of the bizarre.

Always inspect your President:

InspectPres.jpg

kaseri

Enlightened
Hobbies other than flashlights are as follows -

High Altitude Alpine Mountaineering - I'm routinely away on climbing trips in interesting parts of the world four to six times per year.

Cycling - Both long distance and track racing.

Last edited:

SilentK

Enlightened
Im a pretty big audiophile. 500+ Gigs of .flac and .wav files so i guess that could be a hobby :devil:

I am also starting to collect zippos as i now have a few.

I keep my PC up to date as i am a pretty big gamer

I draw with charcoal pencils

I cant think of anything else right now....

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Leatherbound journal-type notebooks and post-its. I love the journals!

A few awesome sites:
The Fountain Pen Network (incredible forum, with awesome reviews of notebooks)
Black Cover (reviews black notebooks)
BiffyBeans (reviews pens and notebooks - she's on the FPN above too)

I researched notebooks a lot when my last one was lost... I ended up with a Quo Vadis Habana (large size), and love it!

:thumbsup: john

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my new one.
Been going to some outfitters and renting. Because of my schedule, I always go early on a weekday, and rarely see another person for hours.
I'm about to start fishing, along with just "getting out there", since I just got my own boat, and put it in the water for the first time this morning.
oooy.png

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Very cool, Owen. I'm thinking about getting a kayak sometime, before I'm too old to tote it to the water. Happy paddling.

Geoff

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Very cool pic Owen and in no time you will have your own show on Discovery....Mountain Man Owens Adventures....surviving in the wild for weeks with nothing more than a AAA light and small boat. Remember us little guys when you make it big.....:naughty:

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see:) :

flashlights
learning disaster/survival skills
Judo & Aikido
Jazz ( Charlie Parker is awesome )
Ubuntu
knives courtesy of bladeforums.com
edcforums.com
cooking
'67 chevy chevelle

I need to start back reading the books that I had purchased early this year. Another site I used to visit was lockflow.com which helped me tremendously when I was taking BJJ in Knoxville.

Tuikku

Enlightened
mechanical computer keyboards

http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

1 US nickel is 5g

ALPS is around 60 to 65g of force

Cherry switches are 45 (brown) to 50 (blue)

I have an old Compaq CPQ (bought 2005, as new, bubblewrapped) as a backup.
Heavy as heck, best typing feeling I know of :)

My other hobbies, errr....
-Well, my 2 cars need repair every now and then. I try to do as much as I can myself.
-2 kids take their time.
-I usually spend quite a while reading different interesting forums and such. Occasionally even write to them.
-Last summer I did quite a lot frisbee golf. This summer, not enough time :(
- I used to build up and repair friends and colleagues computers. Not so much anymore though, lack of working space and time (kids).
- Every now and then I order some good cigars and enjoy smoking them!
This happens maybe once a month. I don´t smoke cigarettes...
-Overall, I don´t do much anything interesting. :crackup:

I spend a lot time keeping in touch with my relatives and friends.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Computers, games, making food, ropework (mostly paracord), coin collecting.

Yeah, I'm never getting any.:shrug:

mrartillery

Enlightened
Other than flashlights? Sure :whistle:

-collecting guns/shooting
-diecast cars
-video games

Honestly, flashlights is probably my least expensive hobby. :sssh: