Sofirn C01 for 2020

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When you pull the one with the smaller ID over the light it stretches to become a thinner, less rotation resistant "gasket".
I did that with some PKDL PL2 lights a couple years back and asked customers to give me feedback. All said they preferred the "put up a fight" feel over ease of activation. What I used (iirc) were 10mm x 1mm since I could not source oem o'rings without buying them in bulk so I went with 10's and 11's (again iirc) and the 10's stretched to become thinner, less rotation resistant.

My brain did not think to call the ones with the C01 smaller or larger ID I guess. I also noticed a previous comment about rotating the pill out of the bezel is not an option with these since the pill is a push in type. Again I was thinking of the PL2 as that one the pill is mated to a threaded brass pill that rotates into the bezel and some early ones were rotated in too far.

My next batch of Sophies should arrive any day. They were within an hour of me in a USPS warehouse last time I checked tracking. Perhaps a photo showing the o'ring on an orange head will show better than the blue one I have now. Shadow made it hard to see how it is thinner than on a Yuji or an E01.

D297-B79-C-266-A-432-B-8739-5-F3-DE67-E1-C10.jpg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Byk, have you checked The O'ring Store LLC? They price and sell a few cents per piece.. Where ya get dinged is on shipping, they only offer FedEx,, no USPS

As I remember the PL2 head oring = 1mm x 11 or 11.5mm. The stretching into the oring groove, that is hard to calculate how much twisty fit into body. Unless knowing exact size, ya have to buy a few sizes (0.5mm) up and down

I looked for PL2 specs but could not find. Even sent PK a message on FB. He also probably couldn't find specs, or didn't care, never received an answer back so I set it aside

Edit: appears The Oring Store has added USPS as an option, although not much savings, to my addy, over FedEx 2and day

You can get 10 or 11mm in BunaN, FKM Viton (harder rubber) or Silicone color brick red, FDA approved for mouth carry:cool:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, KnuckleGary,
for the tip about "The O-Ring Store LLC" !
:cool:

They have 1mm cross-section, and a number of
ever-so-slightly LARGER cross-sections, also !

So now we just need someone to determine
the * IDEAL * size for these Sofirn flashlights.
< hint hint >
lovecpf

BTW --
Which type of "rubber" would be the ULTIMATE for our needs ? ? ?
( gets a bit confusing for my feeble brain )

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=368_12

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
now we just need someone to determine
the * IDEAL * size for these Sofirn flashlights.
< hint hint >

I volunteer you :)

I measured the two O ring sizes I have received

latest batch, O rings in clear bag
1.5mm CS X 8.5mm ID (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring

previous, O ring bag has a red stripe
1.5mm CS X 9.5mm ID (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring

I leave it up to you to order and test, and develop your own opinion of which O ring size and feel you prefer.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Hmm... I see what folks mean about the 670nm beam being a bit, what`s the word... Miserable! LOL
I just bought mine as a color reference anyway, I don`t think I`d like it as a flashlight though.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the stiffer fit myself..
The Viton rubber composition being harder material may also effect twisting action within same size ID

I need orings for my PK PL2.. I'll try out a few sizes for C01, C01S, etc.. Won't be ordering for a few weeks tho:cool:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Hmm... I see what folks mean about the 670nm beam being a bit, what`s the word... Miserable! LOL
I just bought mine as a color reference anyway, I don`t think I`d like it as a flashlight though.

Completely agree...thought I'd check it out but that beam is truly mangled! Glad I really don't have much use for red light!

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I know some have sanded theirs and it does work a little but at the cost of lumens, and this light doesn`t really have the lumens to spare! LOL
if I was going to use it as light, I`d probably try filling the cone with clear acrylic, if that didn`t work at least you now have a flat surface for your DC Fix ;)

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened

My red C01's beam was also pretty bad, but polishing the LED and "reflector" removed most of the artifacts. I wasn't concerned about losing lumens since I wanted the output to be lower anyway. The beam will work when navigating the house at night.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Havok said:

output drops from 0.4 lumens, to 0.2 lumens

I consider the C01 670nm useless as a light
but its a decent spare battery carrier. :)

if you want to try to diffuse the beam to hide the artifacts,
imo scratch up only the LED, not the reflective cone

otoh, with a C01 Sophia
if you want to remove the hotspot and rely on the lens of the 5mm LED to give a nice even cone of light

they, yes, make the reflective cone matte

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
output drops from 0.4 lumens, to 0.2 lumens

I consider the C01 670nm useless as a light
but its a decent spare battery carrier. :)

if you want to try to diffuse the beam to hide the artifacts,
imo scratch up only the LED, not the reflective cone

otoh, with a C01 Sophia
if you want to remove the hotspot and rely on the lens of the 5mm LED to give a nice even cone of light

they, yes, make the reflective cone matte
The only use this red led light has is for completing a collection, as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my order of every color body of the C01S along with the 3-mode 660nm red; I am extremely happy with them all.

Now I'm wanting to order all the colors of the C01 along with the miserable 670nm single-mode red, only to complete the collection like nascar mentions. :)

Latest posts