Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been enjoying my narrow angle 3200K Yugi AAA direct drive Dorcy modded pen light for ever a year now and have to agree it is worth having indeed. I use it every night and in fact is my most used light.

When my C01 order arrives I will have a total of 5 of these. Surprisingly, 4 of them will be the 5600K, only 1 is the 3200K.

"Why would this be if I am such a fan of the warmer tint" you say?

The answer is the 35% greater output is to be had with the 5600K tint version with no compromise to battery life. The common consent in my family is that the 5600K tint is better and brighter so that is what they get. I have to admit though, for a cooler tint it doesn't bother me at all due to the high CRI (unlike the nauseating tint of the E01). I will not hesitate to use it for any activity it can provide illumination.

The lower output 3200K will be mine alone to appreciate, which is fine by me. For pre-sleep and late night navigating, the calming, soothing, incandescent-like glow that the 3200K tint is my preference by quite a large margin.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Sorry, I can't go back through all the posts here and on BLF (read most of it ages ago), but does anyone know if Sofirn plans to open a store on Amazon?
I'm just not comfortable giving my credit card details to AliExpress, in fact I try to keep these details to as minimal a number of online stores as possible. I should imagine a lot of others feel the same way.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I can't go back through all the posts here and on BLF (read most of it ages ago), but does anyone know if Sofirn plans to open a store on Amazon?
I'm just not comfortable giving my credit card details to AliExpress, in fact I try to keep these details to as minimal a number of online stores as possible. I should imagine a lot of others feel the same way.

I think they already have one on Amazon, but not all of their light are sold there.

GoVegan

Enlightened
I think they already have one on Amazon, but not all of their light are sold there.

Thanks, yeah I'm a bit confused about that, after posting my Q I did see one of their support staff's sigs on BLF, but they don't seem to have much listed in the Amazon store.
Well NP I'll wait, I've never been too bothered by my angry purple beam E01 anyway, just thinking I should try a warm C01 at some point, just to make a comparison.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, yeah I'm a bit confused about that, after posting my Q I did see one of their support staff's sigs on BLF, but they don't seem to have much listed in the Amazon store.
Well NP I'll wait, I've never been too bothered by my angry purple beam E01 anyway, just thinking I should try a warm C01 at some point, just to make a comparison.

The supply is limited and it seems there is only red bodys left on Ali. You may be able to find some on ebay, but expect a price increase.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered 2 black , got an email that they were out of stock. Want to send blue or red. Now I see on tracking that it's canceled.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The listing page for the black anodized version has now been re-appropriated for the C01S (2 mode, SST-20 emitter, same novel tail design).

The listing page for the color anodized versions says "Sorry, this item is no longer available!"

It appears to me that the short production history of the Yuji-equipped Sofirn C01 has ended.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My shipment arrived: I have 3 red body and 2 black in 5600K....1 blue body 3200K.

All the clips are strong, construction and performance is flawless.

I have no other lights that I aspire to get, every lighting need and want is fulfilled.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
My shipment arrived: I have 3 red body and 2 black in 5600K....1 blue body 3200K.

All the clips are strong, construction and performance is flawless.

I have no other lights that I aspire to get, every lighting need and want is fulfilled.
I still feel like the 5mm LED is openly exposed, especially if pocket carried with keys. Imagine metal keys thrusting and scratching against the LED and the surrounding metal (reflector). The Jetbeam U doesn't have quite as nice a tint, but with 3 modes and a protected emitter, it feels more useful and pocket safe than the C01. I still like this light and happy to have it, but I won't be daily pocket carrying it.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still feel like the 5mm LED is openly exposed, especially if pocket carried with keys. Imagine metal keys thrusting and scratching against the LED and the surrounding metal (reflector). The Jetbeam U doesn't have quite as nice a tint, but with 3 modes and a protected emitter, it feels more useful and pocket safe than the C01. I still like this light and happy to have it, but I won't be daily pocket carrying it.

I don't think I have ever seen a post saying their Arc AAA, Fenix E0/E01, Peak Matterhorn, etc has been damaged due to the open design of this kind of 5mm light. You don't get a reputation of being a tough light if that design was a huge achilles heel.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I have ever seen a post saying their Arc AAA, Fenix E0/E01, Peak Matterhorn, etc has been damaged due to the open design of this kind of 5mm light. You don't get a reputation of being a tough light if that design was a huge achilles heel.
I think the Peak and Arc lights are quite a bit more durable. The thing is, with these really inexpensive lights, we don't know how well anchored everything is inside. To keep costs so low, there may have been corners cut that weren't in the likes of far more expensive Arc & Peak lights. In any case, it'll be interesting to see images of C01's after heavy use across the year, to see how they hold up.
The led isn't openly exposed. It has a dome over it
Yes, you're right in that I should have said "LED unit"... as the LED is encased in a small solid plastic "dome", sold as one piece.

I do have a Photon Freedom squeeze 5mm LED that sits on my keychain and yeah... over the years it has brushed up against a lot of objects in my pocket, none the worse for wear. So in retrospect, should be similar kind of durability here.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Don't let this be a concern. Over a decade with lights such as the Arc and E01 have proven this to be a non-issue.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't let this be a concern. Over a decade with lights such as the Arc and E01 have proven this to be a non-issue.
Thanks for the reassurance. With what you and others have now said, I'm feeling much more confident about the C01. :) I've already installed a magnet in the tail cap and waiting for some Norland optic adhesive to finally mount a tritium vial too. Very nice touches that Sofirn has provided--you don't often find them in other lights in this size category.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened

I don't like aluminum for that kind of carry anyway. Whatever coatings or anodizing eventually get chewed up by keys, coins, etc. Stainless steel or brass takes inside-the-pocket wear better.

This light is exceptionally lightweight and has a decent clip. It can be clipped on the inside of a pants pocket like a pocket knife. It can also be clipped to a shirt pocket or even between buttons, safely away from hard scratchy things. Not having the extra glass just adds to the minimalism. Behind the beautiful tint, that's my second favorite thing about this C01.

Latest posts