Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
What a joke. Yuji has plenty of the 5mm BC series LEDs and anyone can buy them via Yuji's site. 5600K and 3200K are both in stock. $117 for a 1000 pack.

Yep, i saw that too. I wonder if they're just not interested to continue making high cri version of these.

I don't have account at the "other forum" but are interested in this as well. I didn't buy the E01 bcoz of the tint.

I was hoping to have a silver body color C01 to output the silver-ish 5600K tint and an orange body color C01 to output the orange-ish 3200K tint. What a beautiful... dream. :mecry:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if they're just not interested... silver body... orange body

they are making 2000 lights, because they bought 2000 leds (each come is a box of 1000)
the sale is not over, so if they all sell, Sofirn may find it worthwhile to make more, but I doubt they would do that at the current price, since it is very low.

Im guessing the pricepoint is just a sort of Advertising for the relatively unknown brand. I for one am now paying more attention to the company, since they dove into the C01.

Silver-> Maybe strip the Anodizing on one, and recoat with clear lacquer? Or get a blue one and call it good?

Orange-> Get a Red one and call it good?

I like your idea of having different colored bodies to tell the different LEDs apart.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a joke. Yuji has plenty of the 5mm BC series LEDs and anyone can buy them via Yuji's site. 5600K and 3200K are both in stock. $117 for a 1000 pack.

Hopefully it just miscommunication or something, we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully these will sell well enough for Sofirn to keep selling them as they are now, no LED change.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
these lights will be limited to 2000 lights as the Yuji LEDs used in these lights are discontinued.

I think there may be some things lost in translation

this is more true:
these lights will be limited to 2000 lights as the Yuji LEDs stock that Sofirn purchased will be exhausted.

we all agree the LEDs are still available, so if Sofirn sells out of the first 2000, they can choose to make more. I do not think there is any evidence to suggest they plan to make more with Low CRI instead.

they have not sold 2000 units yet, there are still more to come..

Last edited:

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
they are making 2000 lights, because they bought 2000 leds (each come is a box of 1000) ...

I like your idea of having different colored bodies to tell the different LEDs apart.

Well, that's because I have been searching for AA/AAA lights with Nichia 219 5000K in stainless steel body, 4000K in brass body, and warm tint in copper body. They're either rare or pretty much non existent. :(

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been searching for AA/AAA lights with Nichia 219 5000K in stainless steel body, 4000K in brass body, and warm tint in copper body.

Maratac has offered those metals in AAA. You could have the LEDs changed.

I have Copper Maratacs with 3000k, 4000k and 4500k Nichias. But its hard to tell which is which when they are off.
38165700504_d0a17e0d54_c.jpg

and I have a menage of Utorch S1 Mini w 2000, 4500 and 6000k LEDs
VvjCWbw.jpg

WACyRdx.jpg

I have to look at their eyes to tell them apart ;-)

My Sofirn C01 duo are 3200k and 5600k, both black.

you are giving me ideas.. a Red 3200 and a Blue 5600 ;-)

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people have received their Sofirn C01

slowtechstef said:
Sofirn C01 3200K on the left; Fenix E01 on the right.

more pictures in this imgr album: https://imgur.com/a/u9RksCp
You can LEGO Fenix E01 and Sofirn C01.

runtime test…
LED on to completely dark:

Sofirn C01 3200K... 34 hours (approx. 20 hours of regulated output)
Fenix E01: 26.5 hours

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
And what will they produce when they do - little Photons, or Streamlight Nanos?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cross will produce Half AssPheric High CRI little CE0s. The other half of the litter will be angry blue little runts.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a few of the 3200K version at $7-something a pop. The only body color was black so I got black. Reading this thread has me worried though. What's this about killing Eneloops?

I use Eneloop Pro for all my AA and AAA needs and I use their recent "advanced" 4-cell charger. I'm a night owl and I've been regularly using them in a few different flashlights for a few months. They seem to perform quite well. The only one that seems to underperform on battery life is my Lightstar 80 but it's nothing dramatic. Is there something I'm missing? Is it something specific to this Sofirn C01 that I'll have to worry about?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is quite hard on NiMH's, any type, to be run down to very low voltages. Any "joule thief" type circuit like this can take cells well below 1 volt before completely dying. You should always charge at least by the time you are down to 0.9 volts, but I try to do it more often. Your indicator on a light like this will be any noticeable drop in brightness. Particularly if it dims fairly suddenly after turn on. Better still, just check and rotate/charge your cells often enough not to get there - we usually can tell by our use pattern how long it will be until we are in the bottom half of a cell.

But as far as "killing" Eneloops, no harm will come to them in normal operation. And the issue of not running a rechargeable cell down to the bone is not unique to this light. Things like the E01 and Gerber Infinity Ultra have no over-discharge protection either.

Enlightened
It is quite hard on NiMH's, any type, to be run down to very low voltages. Any "joule thief" type circuit like this can take cells well below 1 volt before completely dying. You should always charge at least by the time you are down to 0.9 volts, but I try to do it more often.
Eneloop Pro's are less durable and hardy than regular Eneloops and the AAA size is less durable and hardy than the AA size. This leads to the situation where the Eneloop Pro's in AAA size being the Eneloop battery that is the least tolerant to any sort of abuse.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
I thought the Eneloop Pro was supposed to be better than the regular kind. I think they advertise 500 recharge cycles instead of 2000 (or whatever) and that it was supposedly a trade-off for lasting longer per charge. I didn't realize it made them less durable! Should I pick up some of the regular white ones? (Do they use the same charger?) Is this kind of fatal drain common with flashlights?

(I regularly use a Lightstar 80, Massdrop Brass AAA, Convoy Stainless AAA, Astrolux A01, and Jaxman M2.)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the Eneloop Pro was supposed to be better than the regular kind. I think they advertise 500 recharge cycles instead of 2000 (or whatever) and that it was supposedly a trade-off for lasting longer per charge. I didn't realize it made them less durable! Should I pick up some of the regular white ones? (Do they use the same charger?) Is this kind of fatal drain common with flashlights?

(I regularly use a Lightstar 80, Massdrop Brass AAA, Convoy Stainless AAA, Astrolux A01, and Jaxman M2.)
The claim for the Pros was lower self discharge, that they would not discharge themselves when unused at the same rate as regular Eneloops. As to your second question, all NiMH cells will use the same style of charger. The relative merits of any charger over other chargers does not depend on which cells it is used to charge. And, last question, what fatal drain are you referring to?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The claim for the Pros was lower self discharge, that they would not discharge themselves when unused at the same rate as regular Eneloops.

I think you have that backwards. The regular Eneloops have the lowest self-discharge. The Pros have a higher self-discharge (still pretty good, though), but about 25% more capacity. They traded a slightly faster self-discharge for higher capacity. The Pros also hold very slightly higher voltages under heavy load. The Pros also have far fewer "cycles" than the regular versions.

In any case, the regular Eneloops are ideal for this kind of light. I wouldn't drain Eneloops flat, but they'll be just fine down to 0.8v or so. At that voltage, your light won't go above very low levels of output, so you'll know it.

Even if you accidentally discharge an Eneloop flat, it will still be fine. Just don't do it on a regular basis. I've actually reverse-charged Eneloops (in a multi-cell light), and there's no difference in capacity from the abused cell.

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one. couldn't do more though I wanted to . Just don't trust Aliexpress . if this turns out good I will get a cpl more

Hope its asolid as the venerable E01 but I just feel a bit leery that at the price point they havnt cut corners on the electronics or something