Solarforce hosts

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I remember seeing a bunch of solarforce hosts and they had plenty that were close to surefire spec. What happened to the company and similar products?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
company is gone out of business, similar products are still available from malkoff and lumens factory

bykfixer

Flashaholic
SolarForce was collateral damage of the lumen wars. Between wanting more more more lumens and the exploding battery to power up the more more more lumens drop in modules, the P60 niche hit a wall and just like that, sales fell like a lead balloon.

Also SolarForce sold stuff at ridiculously low prices with no cost shipping, like $2 for a glass lens shipped to America. Some said the gubment paid to send stuff to the West back then.

I had an order once where they had transposed 2 numbers in the tracking. I watched my package be delivered to a home several states away according to the tracking history. I sent an email to SolarForce "hey man what gives?" My package arrived next day. I saw the transposed tracking number was like 54 instead of 45. Anyway like 3 weeks later another packsge arrived from SolarForce. It was same items from my order before.

Then poof, they were gone.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, seems like so many other flashlights with higher performance were coming out. Didn´t Surefire stop selling P60 hosts around that same time frame that SolarForce waned?
Sounds about right, i think solarfoce stopped being relevant when SF stopped selling p60 hosts. Originally p60 were bulb modules and had to be replaced every few dozens of hours, then leds came into picture, so drop ins were used to replace bulbs, for tens of thousands of existing SF lights. once enough flashlights designed for leds came out, bulbs became irrelevant and so did drop ins and hosts. Solarforce had few awesome led lights non drop in designs i still have l900 with p7, top quality craftsmanship, excellent design, but they stopped making those in favor of hosts, which became obsolete quite quick.