Solarforce L2 questions

SteveAdams

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of buying a solarforce L2 with a cree r2 in it. I was wondering how you guys like them and if there are any problems with them. I also wondered if they use a 18650 or a 17670? How does the brightness and throw compare to the eagletac t20c2? It says 300 lumens but I know thats not true.

I've got an L2R (0.8-4.2v) and a 3-18v single mode drop in. The L2R itself is excellent apart from the very sharp bezel, which really needs replacing with the flat SS one. I'm not that happy with the drop in though. It doesn't work properly in my 6p. One minute it will work then next time I switch it on, nothing happens, then it comes on if I shake it. Superficially, it seems to fit but it can't be making proper contact.

With the 3-18v, I get about 40 minutes with two AW rcr123's - is this typical for an R2 droping? My Lumapower M1 will do about 55 minutes on the same 2 cells, and the brightness doesn't seem a lot less...

I also tried the 0.8-4.2v module with an AW 18650 (2200mah) and got a runtime of about 75 minutes. That seems a bit low to me compared to figures which have been posted for Dereelight, Malkoff etc.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 123 cells that I asked about were the 3.7 volt rechargeables ... two of these would be 7.4 volts, though fully charged they would be 8.4 volts ... The Solarforce L2 quotes 7.4 volts, so I will stick with the 18650s.
Most of the time those voltage ratings are just based on nominal Li-ion voltage. I'd bet 2 x RCR123 is fine in 7.4V drop-in.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
First of all, thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it!

Secondly, the "Red Label" Solarforce L2 Dropin is rated for 4.2 - 8.4 volts , I don't know which Solarforce "dealer" that you are talking to that says that their drop ins are regulated up to 7.4 volts but there is no Solarforce Dropin (that I am aware of) that is maxed out at 7.4 volts.

"The Solarforce L2 quotes 7.4 volts, so I will stick with the 18650s." - march.brown

What I am getting at here is that you are perfectly fine with running (2) RCR-123 batteries in a Solarforce L2 with the Red Label Dropin (the 5 mode LED , 4.2 - 8.4 volts) This will not be too much for the LED module.

Hope this helps.

- Jim Douglas II
Solarforce-USA

Andyy

Newly Enlightened
I wish they made one in olive green.
You can do it yourself
DSC01088-1.jpg

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

Secondly, the "Red Label" Solarforce L2 Dropin is rated for 4.2 - 8.4 volts , I don't know which Solarforce "dealer" that you are talking to that says that their drop ins are regulated up to 7.4 volts but there is no Solarforce Dropin (that I am aware of) that is maxed out at 7.4 volts.

"The Solarforce L2 quotes 7.4 volts, so I will stick with the 18650s." - march.brown

What I am getting at here is that you are perfectly fine with running (2) RCR-123 batteries in a Solarforce L2 with the Red Label Dropin (the 5 mode LED , 4.2 - 8.4 volts) This will not be too much for the LED module.

Hope this helps.

- Jim Douglas II
Solarforce-USA

This was the one I bought ... It does say 7.4 volt in the Ebay advert.
The LED unit has Solarforce printed on a white label ... I have heard that some sellers don't put a genuine Solarforce unit in with the torch ... Perhaps this is one of them ... The torch is great though and I am very pleased with it ... I was just wondering if two rechargeable 123s would be OK ... Having used 18650s, I probably won't use the 123s ... It was just a thought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solarforce-5-...ing_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item414c3b77e8

I hope this shows the torch OK.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope this helps.

- Jim Douglas II
Solarforce-USA

The dropin has a white label that says Solarforce ... I suppose that it may well not be if it doesn't fit in with the genuine Solarforce dropins specifications ... The Ebay advert says "R2 Cree 5 mode with memory IC" ... The torch came in the sealed plastic retail packaging without a dropin fitted but with this one separately packed ... The advert does not actually say that the dropin is Solarforce, but there is a white label on it saying Solarforce ... They sell quite a few different label colours of Solarforce dropins including the red one that you mentioned.

I am now assuming that they have put a cheaper dropin in with the Solarforce torch.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
I reviewed the ebay add, I can say that the RED LABEL LED Module that is pictured is the 4.8 - 8.4 volt module. However, I can't say anything about the White label LED module that you have received as (to my knowledge) Solarforce doesn't have any white labeled modules. (other than the colored LEDS)...
I can't comment as to the voltage regs on your white labeled dropin, I just don't know about that.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reviewed the ebay add, I can say that the RED LABEL LED Module that is pictured is the 4.8 - 8.4 volt module. However, I can't say anything about the White label LED module that you have received as (to my knowledge) Solarforce doesn't have any white labeled modules. (other than the colored LEDS)...
I can't comment as to the voltage regs on your white labeled dropin, I just don't know about that.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
I contacted the seller and he was surprised that I received the white label module with the two words "Solar Force" on it ... He said it should say 4.8V to 8.4V and asked me to send pictures of the torch and module, so I did ... I have not yet had a reply ... I will post the results.

I told him that the module was not in the torch but was wrapped separately ... The torch was in a sealed plastic package.

I did mention that I was informed on Candlepower Forums that it was the wrong module ... Maybe this helped.

Many Thanks.

fireblast713

Newly Enlightened
My solarforce l2 is my first higher output led torch.

l2_l2p_640.jpg

Orange boot (DX sku.5498)

:rolleyes:

Kinda a noob question but when you diassembled your L2 tailcap to switch out the silicone boot, how did you remove the inner retaining ring, mine has 2 divots in it, but I kinda at a loss on how to remove it, is a special tool required?

arjag

Newly Enlightened
I use either pointy tweezers or the special service tool I made by filing a cheap pair of pointy nose pliers

sst_640.jpg

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted the seller and he was surprised that I received the white label module with the two words "Solar Force" on it ... He said it should say 4.8V to 8.4V and asked me to send pictures of the torch and module, so I did ... I have not yet had a reply ... I will post the results.

I told him that the module was not in the torch but was wrapped separately ... The torch was in a sealed plastic package.

I did mention that I was informed on Candlepower Forums that it was the wrong module ... Maybe this helped.

Many Thanks.
I had this reply, so it seems that I have got the old version sticker on the dropin and the torch will actually take two 123s if I want to ... So no problem now ... That seller is so polite.

Dear friend,

Thanks for your email. And we are happy to have a chance to serve you.

The difference between the bulb is sticker only. this is old version sticker but its the same thing

YOu can use 2 pc CR123A to run it without any prolbme and its 5 output light

And the 7.4v is the problem of out listing, we write something wrong

Thanks for your reply in advance and we are happy to do business with you

Take care and wish you all the best

Best regards

jimbo231

Enlightened
I had this reply, so it seems that I have got the old version sticker on the dropin and the torch will actually take two 123s if I want to ... So no problem now ... That seller is so polite.

Dear friend,

Thanks for your email. And we are happy to have a chance to serve you.

The difference between the bulb is sticker only. this is old version sticker but its the same thing

YOu can use 2 pc CR123A to run it without any prolbme and its 5 output light

And the 7.4v is the problem of out listing, we write something wrong

Thanks for your reply in advance and we are happy to do business with you

Take care and wish you all the best

Best regards
I ordered an L2r from ebay. It's was from a different name seller but I think might be the same seller as you bought from. The module I got doesn't even say solarforce. I don't even think it's a cree R2 either. I'm going to post pics of it. It just says 0.8 to 4.2v in small letters engraved on the module. The module came in a small ziplock not even a package.

Last edited:

jimbo231

Enlightened
Heres the module I got. Can anyone tell me if its at lest a cree xr-e R2 just by looking at the led. I just want to make sure i didn't get a P4 bin instead.

030.jpg

031.jpg

Last edited:

Col_Cotton_Hill

Newly Enlightened

jimbo231

Enlightened
Thanks.....:laughing: The only thing though is that the ones with stickers have gold springs. Mines silver color.

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I have to ask, have they ever been sued by surefire? They are basically surefire clones....