Solarforce L2P 2011 XP-G2 2900k High CRI 90+ Custom Drop-in Module

Tiresius

Enlightened
This is for Alex, (aka Climberkid). I've already sent him a slug BUT before he gets his, I want to share with him so the anticipation would be greater.

It took 1.5hr to machine this to exact specification. Alex will see that everything is a SUPER tight fit. The driver, MPCB, optic and even its fitment to the L2P body.

I also wanted to share because I have not see much mod with the emitter Craig from IS offered. I decided to jump into an XP-G2 from a 219.

Specs:
HAIII Solarforce L2P (2011 model)
Solid aluminum module
3.08a NANJG 105c Driver (L/H)
Carclo triple optics
Cree XP-G2 Q2 90+ CRI

Here are the photos:

Blank Slug:

Driver's fitment. Alex, noticed how you will need to lightly tap the outer-ring area in to fit the board. Make sure it's rounded before trying to fit it.

Triple before soldering and pressing the optic over it:

Triple after pressing over the MPCB:

How it looks like behind the L2P's host:

A build is nothing without beam shots. Next to it is a Mac's Custom SST-50 EDC 4500k 2.8a light. With both lights at their max, noticed how much bluer the Mac's is?

Cheers, Alex!!! I hope you enjoy your slug when it arrives. I hope to hear from you when your build's done. Again, thank you for the 6P that started my crave for exact custom fitments.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!!

I've been spending the last 2 hours searching for the perfect binned XP-G2s.

I think I've chosen the R4 flux group and 5A4 chromacity bin.
Cree part XPGBWT-L1-5A4-R4

Very excited!!!

Ill post my results in here.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Awesome!!

I've been spending the last 2 hours searching for the perfect binned XP-G2s.

I think I've chosen the R4 flux group and 5A4 chromacity bin.
Cree part XPGBWT-L1-5A4-R4

Very excited!!!

Ill post my results in here.

I have no idea what temperature the 5A4 would be but I'm excited to see my work go into someone else's project. Hopefully it all goes well and you won't run into the same problem I had with making something like this. IIRC, your slug is made 1mm shorter and was originally designed to compensate for the button-top batteries and not have it crushing the cells. You'll notice a little rattle before the spring compression.

If it goes south, pm me and I'll make you a new slug based on your specific needs.

G20-Budo

Newly Enlightened
Matt,

I'm new to CPF, and to flashlight mods.. so to me, your mod looks NICE! I really like the light output. How hot does it get during use?

Tiresius

Enlightened
Matt,

I'm new to CPF, and to flashlight mods.. so to me, your mod looks NICE! I really like the light output. How hot does it get during use?

The light gets very hot after 5 minutes on high to the point where your hands will sizzle if touching the light.

Sorry for the late reply but I gave it away after pushing it to 4.5 amps. The light went to a better owner who appreciates attention to detail and custom work.

Tiresius

Enlightened
that blue tinted Mac's gets me. dang it's such a difference!

Tobrien, most tints lose their CCT after being pushed beyond 2a. They all start to lean towards the hotter temperature based on the gradient temperature charts. That's why at 2.8a, the Mac's will more than likely have a CCT close to 5000k instead of the original 4500K. Cree's 90+ CRI have a very warm 2900k CCT. In my opinion, it is much better than the 219a because at lower amperage, it is more forgiving to the eyes and at higher, it still retain its color rendition better. The only bad is at the firefly brightness, it gives of a very eerie ghost feeling for that night bathroom (if you're into aliens and UFO's).