SolarForce vs SureFire Tailcaps

pinetree89

Enlightened
I have a Solarforce S7 tailcap, and I gotta say, it's just not that good. There's about a 2 or 3 degree sweet spot you have to have it tightened to in order to use the momentary on. If it's off that, no go. If you go past that the light either turns on, or simply pressure alone on the tailcap (not the button) will turn it on. Compared to the Z41 there's no comparison IMO. Solarforce didn't get the implementation of this correct IMO.

That said I'm generally a fan of the Solarforce stuff for the price. I have quite a few L2P hosts and enjoy them. Just avoid that S7 tailcap.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love S10... I now have 9 of them I think... also bought three S7's that I used with Oveready McClicky conversion kits but lately 2 are empty... they are just too short to be satisfied with the look on any host (aside from SUPER-OLD glossy L2M that only fits 16mm cells, S7 with OR McClicky fits PERFECT and it's the shortest host I have)...

Sorry but I'm unable to post any photos... :-(

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but relevant question....

I just got the new Sportac xhp35 HI dropin and have it in my Solarforce L2. The specs say that the tailcap should be 5+ amps. I know the Solarforce is only rated at a 3 amps.

1. Will this affect power to the lamp affecting performance/brightness?

2. Could this fry my tailcap when Im on duty with use? Should I put this in the Surefire 6P host?

archimedes

Flashaholic

I just got the new Sportac xhp35 HI dropin and have it in my Solarforce L2. The specs say that the tailcap should be 5+ amps. I know the Solarforce is only rated at a 3 amps.

2. Could this fry my tailcap when Im on duty with use? ....

Yes, and yes ... (more likely melt than fry, but you get my meaning)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should say that Solarforce anodizing sucks. At least in my case. A simple comparison:

1. I have dropped a Surefire Fury on a concrete stairs from some 4 feet altitude and I had really carefully to inspect it just to discover a microscopic ding on its knurling.

2. A Solarforce light (exactly one of their most expensive tail caps):

2000x.webp

has got a popping out ding just laying around. Hell knows how.

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened

2. Could this fry my tailcap when Im on duty with use? Should I put this in the Surefire 6P host?

Can anyone else weigh in? I got my Surefire 6P host, bored out for a 18650 cell. Haven't had a chance to test it because it needs to be bored out a bit more for the protected cell. I have to send it back to the seller.

Should this LED run better with a 5 amp switch? Does it work like that?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone else weigh in? I got my Surefire 6P host, bored out for a 18650 cell. Haven't had a chance to test it because it needs to be bored out a bit more for the protected cell. I have to send it back to the seller.

Should this LED run better with a 5 amp switch? Does it work like that?

No, that's not quite how it works. It's not so much that it will run better but rather it WILL run. Using a 3 amp switch will likely result in the switch itself burning up as though it were a fuse, upon your first activation of the light. I'm not certain exactly how long it will take to burn through the contacts of the lower-rated switch but it will happen.