(SOLD OUT) Dark Sucks pre-production run (MCE/1x18650/2.8A/3 mode)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hey all, this is my first sales thread so Ill stumble through it. These are some pre-production lights that are the result of my new venture. The original thread is here: Im crazy...and going to start making lights full time

I wanted to make these available to CPF members first, since this is the place that got me started, and I've gotten a lot of help from people here. I'm also inspired by many of you so thanks! If these don't get sold over the weekend I'm going to open it up to my friends and family...so get em now! :)

If you haven't seen my blog: www.darksucks.com

Ive temporarily named this variant the MC18-B Im a fan of functional names that can tell you what you are looking at and also help differentiate different models down the road. I guess Im a functionalist.

MC= Cree MCE
18= 18650 battery
B= Boom reflector

I call these pre-production for a few reasons.
  • These are basically style prototypes. Otherwise they are 100% functional, finished, and ready for duty.
  • There are only a few of each style available. I wanted to try some different surface finishes and see how they looked when plated, so I just made a few of each.
  • A particular style may or may not ever be produced again. Kind of depends on what people like...so you might end up with one out of only 3-4 ever made.
  • A couple of these have some very minor visual blemishes. Full disclosure. Partly that's the nature of custom lights, partly getting familiar with the finishing process, and partly learning how the plating interacts with the finishing processes. I don't think the blemishes are a big deal. They add that hand made touch. Seriously though, I pulled a few that were more obvious and I'm NOT selling those.
  • To sweeten the deal, I'll throw in a free AW 18650 for you pioneers

SPECIFICATIONS: (all styles are mechanically identical)

This light is designed for a single 18650. They will run on 2xCR123's but the 123's are smaller in diameter and will rattle. They WILL NOT run on 2xRCR123's...the driver can't handle this voltage.

LED: Cree MCE (Flux bin M)(Tint Bin WG 5700K)
Driver: Shiningbeam 2.8A CC (3 mode)(2.8V-6V)(100%=2.8A,30%=1A,5%=.14A)
Reflector: Ledil Boom SS (Smooth Spot, FWHM 10°)
Window: UCL glass 2 side AR coated
Expected Output: (750 emitter lumens) ~550 lumens OTF (estimate)
Run time: 1.5 hours on high (measured)
Switch: Shiningbeam forward clicky
Wire: 24 AWG Mil-spec, stranded copper, silver plated, teflon coated
Solder: silver solder
Body: 6061 T6 aluminum
Coating: Electroless Nickel
Driver Mounting Post: C101 oxy-free electronic copper
O-rings: Nitrile (Buna-N) 70 durometer (lights are fully o-ringed and TESTED to 300 feet for 5 hours)
Lube: Nano-Oil on threads and O-rings
Overall dimensions: Head Diameter=1.2 / Body Diameter=1 / Length=5.6

This is an exploded view of all the components. If click the photo it will take to you to a new page with a large, hi res image.

As requested, some thread photos. These are 28TPI threads.

body-threads.jpg

tc-threads.jpg

Here is a photo of the internals:

DSC00672.jpg

And the LEDs. These are from Cutter and they have extra thick MCPCBs compared to what Ive seen from other sources.

DSC00666.jpg

The head is a solid design, no pill. Since I'm using a star-mounted LED I think this will give the best heat dissipation. The head will get quite hot on full power. The driver barely gets warm.

head+section.jpg

Down the barrel: you can see the Ledil Boom reflector. The UCL glass really is amazingly clear for those of you that haven't seen it before. You can hardly tell it's there. I also made a special insertion tool to make sure the LED is perfectly centered. There is NO donut hole in the beam at any distance.

DSC00674.jpg

Here is the tailcap end. These can tailstand. The actual cap was milled with a ball mill so there is a nice radius that aids thumb access to the button.

DSC00678.jpg

Better add some beamshots! This is an animated GIF so...wait for it. It's comparing a stock Mag 2D with an Icon Rogue (2xAA) and the big ole' bright one is mine (MC18-B).

path-animation.gif

Size comparison:

size-comp.jpg

Okay, I'll stop stalling: Here is the sales part!

PRICE: $195.00 USD

(I'm throwing in a free AW 18650 (2600mAh) for the duration of the pre-production run only!)

SHIPPED VIA PRIORITY MAIL ONLY!
  • FREE SHIPPING IN THE CONTINENTAL US
  • +$10.00 FOR INTERNATIONAL

HOW THIS WORKS:

First "I'll take it" puts you on the buy list. Ill send you my paypal info. After receiving my paypal info youll have 24 hours to pay or your spot goes to the next person in line.

IF YOU WANT THE CPF DISCOUNTS DO NOT PURCHASE FROM MY WEBSITE...PM ME HERE AT CPF!!

If there are enough people for a wait list then Ill start one. I wont take your money up front and you will be at the top of the list for the next run. Those on the wait list can also let me know what style they want to buy.

I know this is a little non-standard but I dont want to take anyones money if I dont have the item to sell. Im hoping this setup will prevent anyone from being unhappy but well see! :) Like I said this is my first sales thread. Ive observed lots of others and this (at the moment) seems like the best way to handle this.

HERE IS WHAT'S FOR SALE: (click on the images for links to really big images! )

First, you get to choose your tailcap color: black, orange, or GITD green

glowcaps-small.jpg

Style 1: Sand blasted/grooved body with polished head and tailcap

Click the image for a link to a larger view!

Buy List:

1) cw_mi (paid / shipped)
2) SOLD (WEB) christian
3) CrowdGather (paid / shipped)
4) Shurock (paid / shipped)
5) SOLD (WEB) lori
6) SOLD (WEB) Skip
7) SOLD (WEB) Alexandria
8) SOLD (WEB) Christopher

Wait List:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

These blasted bodies are now OUT OF STOCK. However, I have five more finished and ready to assemble when I get more drivers...Hopefully by the end of the month. If you sign up on the wait list I'll notify you when they are ready. No need to pay at this time.

Wait List:

1) akajimmy (style 1, orange cap)
2) MarkB (WEB)
3)
4)
5)

Style 2: fully polished head, body, and cap. Please look carefully at the images. This is polished but not totally perfect mirror polished. The images are representative.

Buy List:

1) SOLD (WEB) markW
2) SOLD (WEB) Judith
3) Nick (payment pending)
4) SOLD (WEB) Michael

Style 3: fully brushed head, body, and cap.

Buy List:

1) The Coach (paid / shipped)
2) SOLD (WEB) john
3) SOLD (WEB) john
4) SOLD (WEB) richard

Wait List:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Style 4: tumbled body, polished head/tail

Buy List:

1) SOLD (WEB) johnB
2) SOLD (WEB) raffi
3) SOLD (WEB) max
4) Jody (paid/shipped)
5) SOLD (WEB) Christopher

Wait List:

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

I also have Xtar MP1 single bay chargers for sale. They come standard with the wall adapter. Let me know if you would like one. There is some debate over these here on the forums. They might not be ideal chargers but the are a bargain for the money, safe, and they look cool. I still think they are the second best option to the Pila IBC.

These are $15.00 for CPF members.

I'll be selling them for $20.00 to the general public. Don't tell them.

Xtar_buynow.jpg

Last edited:

cw_mi

Enlightened
Re: Dark Sucks pre-production run, finished and for sale (MCE/1x18650/2.8A/3 mode)

Received my light just before the CPF crash. I am very pleased with it. It seems like a well built light, ergos are good and the tint and beam are VERY nice. It's a very useable light even on high indoors. I hope your new venture takes off. If I can find some time , I will get some pictures together. If any of you are hesitant on picking this light , just do it. You will be happy.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Re: Dark Sucks pre-production run, finished and for sale (MCE/1x18650/2.8A/3 mode)

Hey CW_mi, Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you are happy with your light. Pics would be great if you get a chance. The reward is seeing other people enjoy my work.

Lights are available. Like the man said, "just do it." :thumbsup:

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Remember, CPF members get a free AW 2600mAh battery!

I also have my full site up at www.darksucks.com so you can find a lot more info and photos there.

Cheers,

Jason

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hey CPF'ers, I also wanted to clarify: since CPF went down I decided to get my "public" site kicked into gear and launched cause I need to start moving some product to pay the bills. So, you can order through my site but if you order directly from me here on CPF you will get the free AW 18650. It's just easier for me to keep track of at this point.

I have ten more pcs of style 1 waiting for drivers to arrive. I'll extend the "battery special offer" to CPF members until all of these pre-production lights are sold.

As always, questions are welcome!

The Coach

Enlightened

I've been checking this thread out for a while now and I can't resist any longer. I need something to show off at the upcoming Valley Forge show.:ohgeez:

I'll take a Style 3 (fully brushed head, body, and cap) with a GITD Green tailcap.

Just to be clear, these lights are finished, ready to go, correct? Your not waiting for any suppliers or anything? :devil:

archer6817j

Enlightened

Yeah! :rock: thanks for taking the leap.

The lights listed are fully assembled, sitting on my desk, and awaiting instructions regarding what color button you want. One of those brushed lights now has a green GITD button in it and is ready to jump in a flat rate box. I'm making a trip to the PO in an hour or two so if I get your paypal it will be in the mail today. I'm sending you a PM now.

I didn't expect to like the brushed finish but now it's one of my favorites for sure. Really looks nice with the nickel plate.

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hey Coach, I just sent a PM but it doesn't appear in my sent messages...so not sure what is going on. If you did not receive it, please email me: jason(at)darksucks.com

Thanks!

CrowdGather

Newly Enlightened

Just ordered through your site...bead blasted version!

The Coach

Enlightened

:paypal: Yes, I got the PM.

I'm excited too to check out a new maker's wares. :thumbsup: I couldn't decide between style 1 and 3. I wasn't sure about the two sandblasted parts, so I went with the brushed style. You might want to add a picture of these with something else to show the size comparison.

archer6817j

Enlightened

CrowdGather, PM sent! Congrats on getting the last one :) I'll have more in a couple weeks when I get drivers back in stock. I have five blasted bodies totally finished except for drivers.

The Coach, I added that size comparison shot to the first post!

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hi folks,

I'm going to make an announcement on my blog tomorrow but I thought I'd let all of you know first. I've been watching a lot of the news coming out of Japan. Nothing like a major disaster to put emergency preparedness on the brain. Living here in the Bay Area, the news of major earthquakes elsewhere is particularly sobering.

Anyway, today I had an idea. I've decided to donate $20 from every sale, for the rest of the month, to relief aid in Japan. Recently I've been thankful for the electricity that is allowing me to post this message, the water that runs freely from the tap, and the gas that fires the stove on which I can cook my fridge full of food.

I only have 4 finished lights left. I have 10 more sitting on my bench that are fully built and waiting for drivers to arrive in the mail. I hope to have them in a week, but it could be two. Five of those are "style 1" with the combination bead blast and polish. The other five are the same but they have a tumbled finish instead of the bead blast. It's a little more subtle and less contrast than the bead blast. I'll try an have pics tomorrow.

I'd be willing to pre-sell those ten (pay now/ship later) if you want to help yourself to a new light and also help a few folks on the other side of the world. If I sell all the lights that's $280 bucks that I can donate. Not a lot, but more than nothing. Hopefully it will help someone stay warm, dry, and fed.

14 lights, 14 days, can we do it? :twothumbs

Cheers,

Jason

archer6817j

Enlightened

My good scale is at the shop, but in the mean time my postage scale reads a dry weight of about 4.75 OZ or 135 grams. I'll try and remember to get a more accurate weight today :)

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened

Do these lights come with a clip or can a clip be put on them?

The Coach

Enlightened

:party: I got mine today and did a quick review of it over in the LED section. Beautiful light and fast shipping. Thanks Jason, a winner. :thumbsup:

archer6817j

Enlightened

Do these lights come with a clip or can a clip be put on them?

Hi akajimmy, at this time there is no provision for a clip. One of the "standard" clips like Mac uses can be fitted but you'd have to drill and tap the tailcap to mount it. If you want to pre-order one I can drill and tap a tailcap for a small fee. I'm not sure how hard it will be to drill through the nickel though so you might have to wait till the next run when I can drill it before it's plated. Let me know if you are interested and we can work something out.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Some exciting news! Well at least I'm excited. As some of you know I started this adventure with the intent to build dive lights...then I got sidetracked. Anyway, I bought/kitted out a pressure pot to test my dive lights. Today I decided to torture my MC18-B to find out what it's made of. I filled the pot with water and placed 3 lights inside. I wasn't sure what would happen so I started out at 30ft of depth and let the lights sit for 30 minutes. Then I'd increase the depth by 30 feet and leave them for another 30 minutes, inspecting each time. I stuffed the lights full of blue shop-style paper towels so I could see even the smallest bit of water...because they turn dark blue when wet.

I made it all the way to 120 feet for 30 minutes before I ran out of daylight and had to leave :twothumbs. Tomorrow I'm going to test one until I destroy it or run out of air pressure on my compressor. Right now I have it regulated to 95 psi which will give me about 220 feet max depth. If I need more I can crank the regulator open but the pressure pot is only rated to 140 psi. Here are some pics.

ppot.jpg

120ft.jpg

120 feet and holding!

archer6817j

Enlightened

Had some more time today and officially took three lights to 220 ft for two hours and no leaks!

Last edited:

cw_mi

Enlightened

Glad to see how water and pressure proof they are. Nice to push things to the limits. Also bumping for a great light !

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened

Put me on the wait list for style one. Orange tail cap.