Some of my work.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find sharpening hard to do. I can make a sharp knife dull in a heart beat. I find sharpening a little intimidating. I am bad about selling or giving away a knife when it gets dull. lol I have though lots about getting a Wicked Edge system. But that price! The only reason I can rationalize buying it, I am too nervous to mail out a $400 plus dollar knife to be sharpened. I don't trust the postal system and UPS costs too much. lol
Anyways, that is a nice set up you have. Looks like you have mastered the hobby of sharpening. What is a fair price to pay someone to put a mirror edge on a knife? I thought I read $10 was fair, but that seams cheap to me. I have a few knives in S30VN, they feel like they are very hard to sharpen. <--I have never done anything other than a strop. But I didn't use a compound. I think that was my problem. I have been thinking about getting a strop and some compound.

Thanks for posting your set up. Your edges look outstanding. That mirror polish you do makes me drool. I have a few CRK blades I would love that on!

PS: Sorry for the rambling of this post. I am up early fighting a bad cold.

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened
I had a 50's Gun Digest (annual publication) that had an article, where they reviewed and metallurgically analyzed a highly respected turn of the century German straight razor. Pretty cool stuff from back in the days when 'cool' was new thing, hahaha.

Sadden

Enlightened
What is a fair price to pay someone to put a mirror edge on a knife? I thought I read $10 was fair, but that seams cheap to me.
Ill spend 2 or 3 hours working on a knife to get it perfect. I dont know about you but 3.33$/hr leaves no room for material costs. Those little 2oz bottles of stropping compound are 60$ each.

I was doing it too cheap before, and am currently restructuring my cost.

roger-roger

Enlightened
Ill spend 2 or 3 hours working on a knife to get it perfect. I dont know about you but 3.33$/hr leaves no room for material costs. Those little 2oz bottles of stropping compound are 60$ each.

I was doing it too cheap before, and am currently restructuring my cost.

I'm thinking he means $10 an inch. That's competitive more or less, but I'm not sure it's exactly relevant to to your process.

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
Good, I ended up telling guys that heavy damage and deep nicks were pretty much going to double the cost. $3 per inch for a coarse edge, $5 for a fine edge and polished edges would go from $7-$10 per inch. Granted, like you I use Edge Pro for perfect edges, if they're willing to take a power sharpened edge that isn't as even the cost comes down quite a bit.

Sadden

Enlightened
Got a package with some supplies in the mail today, heres a sneak peak. A Botan Nagura

Sadden

Enlightened
Customer CRKT Ereaser
140 Atoma
220 shapton pro
1k Nubatama platinum
2k Nubatama speckled
5k shapton pro
8k Shapton pro
2u, 1u, 0.5u, 0.25u CBN on roo
0.1u poly diamond on nanocloth

Sharp with plenty of bite.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Might be a trade secret, after all he does have a blade sharpening business.

Bill
I would say he is an artist at what he does. There and not many secrets these days, and even if you told people they may not ever be able to accomplish what he does. This is a real skill and there are so many people who think they know what they are doing in regard to this task. In so many of the skilled fields, there will always be someone who stands out.

Also, if you are really good at something and are truly talented, you want to help, and assist people - it shows that you are secure in your profession and with yourself. I am always skeptical of people in my field who try to hide something as if they are the only person that has a certain knowledge of something, and won't say anything, as if it was a secret, however, guess what, in my field...there are no secrets.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
If you don't mind, where are you located? Also, don't sell yourself short, with that cool set up you have you are a professional at this, and also, you should charge a good rate as you have taken the time to learn this skill, and have an investment in your gear. Frankly, I see you as an artist in this field, not a tradesman, and people with expensive, high quality knives would pay well for your services. People don't mind a high rate if it is important to them, and you know what your doing.

You have skill which seems easy but, are not. Not at all.

Some me of us may want to be able to contact you for your services do you have a Web-site? Or are you on the forum enough to use PM? Some of here do not engage in social media.

Best wishes,

RedLED

Last edited:

n800

Newly Enlightened
Edges look perfect my friend and I love the shot of the shaved hair. One has to be very patient to obtain results like this.

Sadden

Enlightened
First and foremost thank you very much for the kind words.

Also, if you are really good at something and are truly talented, you want to help, and assist people - it shows that you are secure in your profession and with yourself. I am always skeptical of people in my field who try to hide something as if they are the only person that has a certain knowledge of something, and won't say anything, as if it was a secret, however, guess what, in my field...there are no secrets.
Im pretty open about what i use, its plastered all over my social media and various fora. The main that holds people back from investing in a setup like this is the costs associated with it. If someone does spend the coin to invest in a setup similar too mine i will be more than happy to help them learn too use it.

Some me of us may want to be able to contact you for your services do you have a Web-site? Or are you on the forum enough to use PM? Some of here do not engage in social media.
Im around here nearly daily, if not 4-5 days a week. But my day job has been crazy busy so a PM will garner my attention quicker. If you want to contact me and dont use social media feel free too shoot me a PM and we can setup a phone or skype call.

asqasu

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful knives. thanks for the sharing. and the words, are they Chinese?

Sadden

Enlightened
The knives or the stones?

Most production knives are actually produced in Taiwan, some are produced in Japan and united states, very few are produced in China.

The stones are primarily produced in Japan, and cut for my edge pro in California by my mentor and friend.

Sadden

Enlightened
Hmmmm its been so long, i want too say 15 degrees. It might have been higher though.

Oftentimes factory edges arent super accurate. Many are applied freehand via beltsander and will vary between blades/sharpeners.